Keeping your lawn clean is the same as keeping your hair nice and neat. Imagine cutting your hair with blunted scissors. What would be the result? It’s the same as using blunt blades in cutting the stubborn weeds and grasses that keep on growing in your lawn. Of course, you will need a good lawn mower with high-quality lawn mower blades, but most of all you need sharp blades to cut the long and thick grasses that are very undesirable to look at.
Dull lawn mower blades are not good for cutting long grasses
There are lots of lawn mower blades out there in the market to address your lawn care needs. You may choose either the cheap ones or the expensive ones. However, there is no guarantee that cheap or expensive lawn mower blades are of high quality. Now, how would we know if our chosen blades are durable? Let’s read the reviews below:
The blades should be of durable to have a long shelf life
Top 5 Best Lawn Mower Blades and Reviews
Quality should always be considered when choosing the best lawn mower blades. It’s a wrong idea to compromise the blades’ quality for its price. Let’s take a closer look at these five reviews of the best lawn mower blades and find out their common qualities.
Maxpower— Replacement Blade For 42-Inch Lawn Mower (AYP/Poulan/Sears). Via: Amazon.com
The Maxpower Replacement Blade can be used for AYP, Poulan, and Sears lawn mowers. It weighs 2 pounds with a dimension of 26 x 4 x 3 inches. It comes in a black color.
- This item is a mulching blade that can be used for a 42-inch cut rider, which is ideal for mulching.
- It features a five-point star hole at the center, which is used for balancing the blade.
- It measures 2.25-inch by 21-inch.
- This product is made in the United States of America.
- It comes with another one replacement blade for #134149.
- This blade can be used for lawnmowers manufactured by Craftsman, Husqvarna, Weedeater, and Poulan.
- It is less expensive as compared to the other blades of its kind.
- The curve ends of the blade are not that thick.
- Some buyers complain that the blade can be easily broken.
- Other buyers also complain that it bends easily.
Rotary– Blades for Deck/Craftsman/Poulan/Husqvarna. Via: Amazon.com
These blades are manufactured by Rotary. They are ideal for Deck, Craftsman, Poulan, as well as Husqvarna lawn mower. Each blade weighs 2 pounds each with a dimension of 17 x 2.5 x 1.5 inches. These blades are ideal for 48-inch decks. It comes in a silver color.
- The price of this product is for the set of 3.
- This product is originally made in the United States of America.
- These blades can replace #180054 or 173920 unit.
- This can be replaced with #173921 mulching blade.
- These blades are high lift blades that can throw the clippings, making them ideal for bagging.
- It has a length of 16 and 3/4 inches, a width of 2 and ½ inch, and a thickness of .204 inches.
- It also features a five-point star hole at the center.
- Some buyers complain that these blades do not fit into the fabricated deck of the Husqvarna GT48XLS garden tractor.
- The blades create a loud knocking noise when installed into the mower.
- These metal blades are not that durable.
Toro– 22-Inches Recycler Blade. Via: Amazon.com
This 22-Inches Blade is a recycler blade manufactured by Toro. It weighs 1.8 pounds with a dimension of 0.5 x 2.3 x 21 inches. It comes in a black color. This product features three round holes at the center of the blade. The center hole has a diameter of 7/16 inches while the two outer holes have .3820 inches in diameter.
- This blade features several teeth for mulching.
- This item can replace the 108-9764-03 unit.
- It has a width of 2 and ¼ inches, thickness of .15 inches, and length of 21 and 11/16 inches, allowing you to cut more grass in one go.
- This blade can cut up the grass really fine.
- The direction of the cut up grass goes directly into the bag, making this blade also ideal for bagging.
- This product is ideal for leaves that are thick and big since it can easily cut them up into small pieces.
- This item can only be shipped to Alaska, Hawaii, and within the United States territories.
- Some buyers claim that the blade can be broken easily.
- It’s a bit expensive as compared to the other similar products.
Maxpower– Universal Gold Metal Mulching Lawn Mower Blade. Via: Amazon.com
This is another best lawn mower blade manufactured by Rotary Corporation. It weighs 2.2 pounds with a dimension of 26 x 4 x 3 inches. It comes in yellow color
- This item is made in the United States of America.
- It is a universal replacement for cut mowers with a measurement of 21 inches.
- This commercial mulching blade features sharpened cutting teeth for an outstanding cutting experience.
- This blade is ideal for thick grasses, especially for bahiagrass since its teeth are very sharp and can easily cut tall and thick types of grass.
- It has a greater cutting surface, which makes it ideal for mulching and also for striping.
- It is designed with a centrifugal airlift to make the chopping of the grass evenly distributed.
- This product features a 1-inch hole in the width, reducing the washers in different sizes – 3/8 inch, 7/16 inch, 9/16 inch, ½ inch, 5/8 inch, and 13/16 inch.
- This can also be used for a cub cadet.
- The blade is coated with a heavy golden plastic coating, making the edges of the blade not that sharp. You have to sharpen it after purchasing it.
- Other buyers claim that this blade produces uneven cuts.
Oregon– Lawn Mower Gator Blades For Craftsman, Poulan Pro, and Husqvarna, Set 3. Via: Amazon.com
This set of three lawn mower blades is an impressive product from Oregon. These blades can fit 54-inch deck lawnmowers. Each blade weighs 7 pounds with a dimension of 4 x 4 x 18 inches. The blades come in black color. Moreover, they have a gator-like blade design. The center hole is a five point star hole.
- This blade can replace six blades: 112053, 187254, 187255, 187256, 24541 and 39954.
- It’s gator-like design, makes the blade cut grass clippings neatly. In fact, gator blades are considered as one of the highest quality mulching blades there is.
- It can be used for Poulan Pro, Husqvarna, and Craftsman lawn mowers.
- Each blade is austemper heat treated, making it 20% stronger and tougher as compared to other blades of its kind.
- The blades are made in the US and with commendable quality.
- You might have to grind the edge a bit to prevent the blades from hitting each other. Although, this isn’t the case to all blades, just in case, you need to own a sharpener with a grinder to address this issue.
- This item is quite expensive, but with three highquality blades, the price is definitely worth it.
Types of Lawn Mowers and Their Blades
Keeping your lawn nice and clean requires you to have a lawnmower at home. There are lawn mowers that are ideal for tall grass while some are for mulching and bagging. A lawn mower’s ability to mulch and bag greatly depends on the type of mower blade used. If you have not already heard, there are different types of lawn mower blades, each with a different purpose.
Rotary mowers are better at mulching and bagging compared to a reel mower. Rotary lawnmower blades are designed to push the grass out a discharge chute and into a bag, thereby eliminating the need to gather them after mowing and putting them away. Craftsman lawn mower blades on a Craftsman mower, for instance, are curved at one end to do just this. Additionally, this model is ideal for tall grass and vast yards as it runs on gas and, therefore, cordless. Cordless mowers are the best choice for gardeners who need to take care of sprawling lawns as they don’t require power cords to work. Aside from cutting thick long grass, rotary lawn mowers are also useful in making mulch, which is very useful for sandy soil gardening areas.
Regardless of the type you choose, lawn mowers do have different parts that call for maintenance and replacements to keep them in good condition. One of these parts is the lawn mower blade. The blades need to be well-balanced and of course, sharp to have a nice, clean cut of your lawn grass. But the question is, “when, why and how do we sharpen and balance our lawn mower blades?”
When To Sharpen The Blades?
There are 3 signs that your lawn mower blades need to be sharpened.
The blades need to be sharpened to produce clean cuts
- When Your Lawn Mowers Produce Uneven Cuts: Lawnmower with sharp blades normally produces even and nice cuts of the grass. If you notice that your lawn mower starts to produce uneven cuts, it means that your lawn mower blades are already dull. By then, it needs to be sharpened.
- When The Tip Of The Grass Being Cut Doesn’t Have A Clean Cut: Sharp blades can cut in a clean manner. If you notice that the tip of the grass doesn’t have a clean cut, it means that the lawn mower blade needs to be sharpened.
- When Your Blades Look Worn Up: Check your lawn mower blades regularly. Aside from the results of its cutting, you can also identify whether your blades need to be sharpened by checking the blade itself. If the blade already looks worn out, then it is high time to sharpen it.
Sharp lawn mower blades make your lawn nice and clean
Why To Sharpen Our Lawn Mower Blades?
The blades need to be sharp to cut the grass in one go. Going over one spot, again and again defeats the purpose of getting a lawn mower as this power tool is meant to make your job easier. Surely, your lawn grass would be shorter since it has been cut. However, the fact that it was cut unevenly with a dull blade, your lawn would still look messy. If this is not the result you intend to get then sharpening lawn mower blades is necessary. The good news is you don’t have to go to an expert to have your blades sharpened each time they become dull; you can learn to sharpen them yourself with the right blade sharpening tools. Otherwise, you can simply choose from among the top 5 on our list. We have the best replacement lawn mower blades Craftsman, Husqvarna, Black and Decker, and other popular lawn mowers accept. Working with sharp blades makes mowing your lawn enjoyable and fun. For best results, avoid mowing wet grass. While it does not dull your blades any faster than dry grass do, wet grass can cause your gas, battery or electric mowers (or you, if you are using a push reel lawn mower) to work harder.
How Do We Sharpen Our Lawn Mower?
Here are some steps on how to sharpen your lawnmower blades.
- Detached the lawn mower blade from the lawn mower. You may use screwdrivers and other tools to separate your mower blades. Make sure to use working gloves to avoid any accident while sharpening the blades.
- Turn on the grinding wheel. Run the blade of your lawn mower blade back and forth to the grinding wheel to remove all the dirt and nicks of your blade.
- Use a support plate to place your lawn mower blade when grinding its tip. You may also just hold the blade tightly. Grind the blade until a sharp end is created. Do the same to the other end of the lawnmower blade.
Use protective shields and gloves in sharpening your lawn mower blades
Lawn Mower Blade Balancer
Worn out lawn mower blades should be sharpened or be replaced
When To Balance The Blades?
Normally, when a lawn mower blade is being sharpened, its weight becomes less. It is because the tip of the blade is reduced due to the sharpening process. It could be on the left side or the right side of the blade.
The first thing that you would notice for unbalanced lawn mower blade is the shaking and vibration of the equipment when in use. It simply means that the blade is not properly balanced.
Why To Balance Our Lawn Mower Blades?
Out-of-balance lawn mower blades would create severe wobbles, shakes, and vibration when it is already spinning. This may create uneven cuts, and worse, may even damage your lawn mower engine. You wouldn’t like that to happen, right? Therefore, you need to have a plastic blade balancer. You can also use nails to check the balance of the blades.
How Do We Balance Our Blades?
Here are a few tips for balancing a lawn mower blade.
- Get a plastic blade balancer. Place it on a flat surface. You may also attach it to a wall. A typical blade balancer is shaped like a cone. Its tip is used to balance the mower blade. If you don’t have one at home, you may also use a nail as a replacement.
- Place the blade on the balancer. If your balancer is placed on a flat surface, observe if one side of the blade dips downward. If it does, it means that this side of the blade is heavier as compared to the other side. If your balancer is attached to a wall, observe the direction of the drop of the blade. This would signify the heavy side.
- To balance your blade, grind the heavier end with a grinding wheel until both ends are already equal and balanced.
Additional Tips in Caring for Your Lawn Mower
High-quality and sharp lawn mower blades can surely make the job a lot easier, but we must never forget to take proper care of the lawn mower itself. If you have put away your lawn mower for the winter, it’s necessary to change the oil first before using it for the first time in spring. Before doing so, remember to disengage the spark plug as you don’t want your machine to start accidentally. As soon as you have done this, you can then drain the old oil and change it with fresh oil recommended for the type of lawn mower you have. As soon as you have changed the oil, the next thing to check is the air filter. If it’s too dirty to clean, it’s probably about time to replace it. Replace the spark plug as well to make sure your mower is in tip-top shape for the new season. Lastly, check all the wheels, nuts and bolts to make sure there are no loose or missing parts. Fill the tank with gas and you should be ready to get mowing!
Final Review of the Best Lawn Mower Blades
Now that you presented with the best lawn mower blades out in the market, as well as the necessary information for sharpening and balancing the lawn mower blades, it is already time for you to decide which of the best lawn mower blades best suits your preference.
As for me, I prefer to have the Maxpower – Replacement Blade For 42-Inch Lawn Mower. Even though it’s a bit expensive, it is of high-quality and can endure cutting long, thick, and dense grass. It is indeed worth every dollar you’ll spend.
So that’s it! Thank you so much for reading this article. Which is your favorite among the 5 best lawn mower blades and reviews? Comment down below!
You might like this:
- Best Corded Electric Lawn Mower Reviews
- Best Riding Lawn Mower For Hills Reviews
- Best Lawn Tractor For Hills: Reviews & Guides