Slopes and hilly terrains are quite the rage among landscapers and homeowners. While they do add personality and flair to a lawn, it’s not in the best interest of those who put lawn maintenance first before aesthetic. A hilly lawn can be ten, twenty times more difficult to maintain than a flat one.
MUST READ: Top 3 Electric Lawn Mowers of 2018
EGO Power Cordless
One of the most common problems you may encounter would be mowing it uphill and downhill. Naturally, this is a job for a riding mower. Riding mowers provide the most convenience when mowing hilly lawns. Unfortunately, it doesn’t provide as much in terms of safety. In steeper slopes, you can potentially slip or tip over. There are two ways to increase your safety when riding a mower up and down a hilly lawn: (1) mow when the grass is dry, and the weather is fine, and (2) get the best riding lawn mower for hills to do the job.
2018’s 5 Best Riding Lawn Mower For Hills
Without further ado, here are our picks for 2018’s five best riding lawn mower for hills.
Husqvarna: 967324101 V-Twin 724 cc Zero Turn Mower
Troy-Bilt: 382cc 30-Inch Premium Neighborhood Riding Lawn Mower. Via: Amazon.com
Troy Bilt has become a household name when it comes to lawn mowers, tractors, and other outdoor equipment. In fact, the Troy-Bilt’s 382cc 30-Inch Premium Neighborhood Riding Lawn Mower is only the first of two Troy-Bilt products that have made it on our list. We’ve rounded up some notable pros and cons to explain why.
- The Troy-Bilt 382cc 30-Inch Premium Neighborhood Riding Lawn Mower runs on a powerful 382cc Auto Choke engine and 6-speed transmission.
- The model is designed with a 30-inch adjustable cutting deck to meet different mowing requirements.
- The compact-sized cutting deck is great for navigating narrow areas.
- With a manual PTO and an 18-inch turning radius, this riding lawn mower offers quick and easy blade engagement.
- Many customer reviews mention that it doesn’t take up much space in their shed or garage.
- It also has a fuel sight window that lets you check your gas levels.
- The 2018 model costs lower than the original price.
- A few reviewers claim unsatisfactory customer service from both the brand and the platform where they purchased the mower.
- The mower also dons a few failures in their attempts at being ergonomic.
- The clutch and brake are not very reliable as these tend to jerk.
Cub Cadet: XT1 Enduro Series Kohler Hydrostatic Gas Front-Engine Riding Mower. Via: Amazon.com
There’s a lot about the Cub Cadet’s XT1 Enduro Series Kohler Hydrostatic Gas Front-Engine Riding Mower that makes it a perfect entry in this list. Get to know some of its notable pros and cons below to help you decide on making a purchase.
- The Cub Cadet XT1 Enduro Series Kohler Hydrostatic Gas Front-Engine Riding Mower is powered by a 725 cc V-Twin Kohler Engine that offers 20 HP.
- Unlike other riding lawn mowers, this one seems to value human engineering and design.
- It effectively cuts through even the toughest grass types with its powerful engine.
- This riding lawn mower model also has cruise control.
- You can choose from a wide array of attachments. These include leaf shredders and mulching kits.
- The cutting deck is rust-proof.
- Some assembly is required upon arrival.
- The front axle requires a bit of grease every once in awhile to avoid squeaky noises.
Troy-Bilt: Auto Drive 7-Speed Side Discharge Riding Lawn Tractor. Via:Amazon.com
The last one on our best riding lawn mower for hills list is another Troy Bilt product, the Troy-Bilt: Auto Drive 7-Speed Side Discharge Riding Lawn Tractor. While it might be difficult to find a good mower under 1000 USD, this Troy-Bilt model offers a great deal under 1500 USD price range. Do you think this could be the perfect one for your mowing needs? Find out with these pros and cons.
- This Troy Bilt model is rigged with a foot pedal continuously variable 7-speed transmission that offers both efficiency and convenience when mowing.
- It also has a Step Thru frame made of 13-gauge steel for comfort and accessibility.
- With the five position height adjustable deck, you can easily customize the machine’s height according to your lawn cutting requirements.
- This model is supported by two 15×6-inch front wheels and 20×8-inch rear wheels for better control.
- Perhaps the only con this lawn tractor has would be the needed assembly upon arrival.
Husqvarna: 18.5 hp Pedal Tractor Mower. Via: Amazon.com
Another one of Husqvarna’s finest, the gas-powered Husqvarna 18.5 hp has earned its spot on our best riding lawn mower for hills list. To better fill you in about the product, here are some of its noteworthy pros and cons.
- The Husqvarna: 18.5 hp Pedal Tractor Mower is able to ram through grass very smoothly with its 18.5 HP engine.
- To ensure a maintenance-free mowing operation, this model offers quick auto transmission to the delight of satisfied buyers.
- It also has special air induction technology for improved airflow and consistent cuts.
- For easier mowing, this model has a spring-assisted deck lever conveniently mounted to the machine’s fender.
- The Husqvarna: 18.5 hp Pedal Tractor Mower is also completely assembled upon shipment.
- While this Husqvarna model excels in performance, some users claim to have difficulty in controlling the machine.
- This difficulty can be associated with the “lack of human engineering,” a user suggests.
#5 Husqvarna: 967324101 V-Twin 724 cc Zero Turn Mower
Husqvarna: 967324101 V-Twin 724 cc Zero Turn Mower. Via:Amazon.com
Husqvarna is a leader in tractors and other outdoor power equipment. So it only makes sense that we have two of the brand’s state-of-the-art products on our best riding lawn mower for hills list. The first one is Husqvarna’s 967324101 V-Twin 724 cc Zero Turn Mower. Get to know what makes this model so special, as well as some of the cons that go with it.
- The Husqvarna 967324101 V-Twin 724 cc Zero Turn Mower boasts a V-Twin 724cc endurance engine with a horsepower of 23.
- This high-quality zero-turn mower offers superior air filtration with its chrome plated valves, polished bearing surfaces, and a large cooling fan.
- Its ergonomic control system, LED bumper headlights and an anti-slip bottom surface for the feet allow for easy maneuverability and a smooth-sailing operation.
- With the electric clutch, the blade engagement has never been easier.
- It is fully supported by a robust frame and a deck lift system for maximum efficiency.
- The Husqvarna 967324101 V-Twin 724 cc Zero Turn Mower is not recommended for slopes that are 15 degrees or higher.
- This model doesn’t have a fuel gauge, which can be really helpful especially when dealing with larger lands.
Types Of Riding Mowers
The best riding lawn mower for hills for one lawn owner may not be the best for another. Knowing the three main types of riding mowers is a crucial step in getting one for yourself. Bear in mind that each riding mower type has its own specifications. Find out more about the three main types of riding mowers in this section.
Zero Turn Mowers
Zero turn mowers are known for performing at faster speeds, efficiency, and better mobility. These high-performing riding mowers can run up to 8 mph speed and can even let you make agile 360 degree turns so easily. Several zero turn mower units come with two large back drive tires, as well as swiveling tires in front. There’s also a wide selection of zero turn mower attachments you can choose from in today’s market. These include grass clipping baggers, mulching kits, snow blades, and various types of spreaders.
A zero turn mower is used to mow a hilly lawn
Rear Engine Riding Mowers
Rear engine riding mowers are the cheapest and smallest type of mower that you can find on the market. Despite not being able to perform as fast as its two counterparts, a rear engine riding mower still dons a few pros. These mowers are perfect for lax lawn owners who just want an easy and comfortable time mowing the lawn. Great for small yard, rear engine riding mowers don’t take as much space in the shed or garage as zero turn mowers and lawn tractors. However, these mini tractors are not capable of supporting heavy attachments for an improved mowing experience.
This rear engine riding mower allows for an easy and convenient mowing process
For larger lawns, you need a riding mower that is built with optimum horsepower and can support heavy-duty attachments. Lawn tractors are your best bet for acreage. However, while these mowers are capable of accomplishing bigger lawn jobs, they don’t excel in terms of speed and agility. It also takes a while for lawn tractors to avoid obstacles.
A small tractor cuts through tough grass but doesn’t offer much agility
Riding Lawn Mower Safety Tips
Riding lawn mowers can be quite challenging, especially when you’re driving it up and down hilly terrains. Here are some tips that you need to follow before and during lawn mowing operations to ensure safety and the most enjoyable riding lawn mower experience possible.
Some riding lawn mowers have fuel gauges while others don’t
- Wear the appropriate clothes and safety gear to avoid injuries when handling blades and other sharp mower components.
- Get rid of any lawn obstacles or debris to ensure a smooth operation. Make sure your lawn is also clear of people and pets.
- Different riding lawn mower brands each come with their own instruction manual and components. It’s very important that you read the given instruction manual and familiarize yourself with the components of the machine before powering it up. This simple trick will save you a lot of trouble in the future.
- Do not disable safety devices and features that came with the mower.
- Familiarize yourself with the safety features of the machine. This may be in the form of a rollover protective structure or ROPS, an advanced motion-sensor control panel among many others.
- Make sure that the mower’s brakes are functioning properly. Don’t power the mower if you don’t know how to stop the machine in case of emergency.
- Inspect your riding lawn mower for damaged components or loose belts.
- For gasoline-type riding lawn mowers, you should only fill up your tank when the engine is cool enough. Should you need to refuel in the middle of mowing, turn the machine off and allow some time for the engine to cool.
- Never light a match or smoke near your tractor as gasoline is highly flammable.
- Only power up your machine once you’re in the driver’s seat. Remember that it’s a one-seater vehicle, so you should never carry any passenger with you.
- Keep both feet inside the riding lawn mower at all times during the process.
- Keep an average ground speed and don’t go too fast when making turns. When in doubt, keep them gradual and wide.
- Remove grass deposits and excessive grease to reduce fire hazard.
- Make sure the machine is completely turned off before getting down from it.
Operating On Terrains
Use utmost caution when mowing on hilly terrains. You want to steer clear of accidents such as tipping over and getting run over by your riding mower.
- Follow the slopes up and down and never across.
- You must avoid hasty starts, turns, or stops.
- Always slow down when going around sharp corners or down slopes.
All of these riding mowers perform well with their respective features. While riding lawn mowers don’t exactly offer much safety when it comes to running on hills, we found that the Cub Cadet: XT1 Enduro Series Kohler Hydrostatic Gas Front-Engine Riding Mower offers the most in terms of value and engineering. Of course, we’re entitled to our own opinions of these outdoor power equipment. What works well for one may not be the best for another. However, we sure hope that these pros and cons help you decide which riding lawn mower to choose.
Best Lawn Tractor For Hills 2018: Product Reviews & Buyer’s Guide
Know the pros and cons of the 5 best lawn tractors of 2018 and choose your own best lawn tractor for an efficient, clean, and picture-perfect hilly lawn.
Thank you for reading and don’t forget to share with your fellow homeowners and gardeners!
You may also read:
- Best Leaf Mulcher Vacuum for Your Garden 2018 Reviews
- Best Commercial Zero Turn Mower For The Money
- Best Walk Behind Mower For Hills – A Complete Guide, Plus Reviews!