Best Garden Tractor of All Time – Including For Hills And Uneven Lawn (2018 Reviews)
Are you searching for the best garden tractor for your hilly lawn? Check our top 5 picks for the best garden tractors for hills and their pros and cons.
Lawn maintenance is something that homeowners despise whenever the seasons change or when it frequently rains. Priorities are different for every homeowner, but everyone should cut their lawn grass if it gets tall. Definitely, this ruins the overall aesthetic and function of your lawn. If you let it grow without cutting it, it will be more difficult to fix it, especially if you have a hilly terrain. Fortunately, there are available tools that can do this job for you.
A garden tractor, also known as riding mower (photo above), is a small vehicle with a machine that cuts grass evenly and also maintains the overall landscape of your lawn. This product is mostly available at home improvement stores, but nowadays, the product is also largely available to order online.
Hilly terrain is more difficult to maintain than regular terrain. Of course, it adds a certain aesthetic to your lawn, but when the tall grass starts to grow, you will realize that your average lawn mower cannot do the job really well, destroying the beauty of the terrain. This is where garden tractors come in. They are designed to easily traverse over hilly lawns.
However, using garden tractors have safety issues. For instance, you might tip over steep slopes. To prevent this, you want to make sure that before you ride your mower, the grass is not wet and the weather is good to avoid slipping. Moreover, you should only use the best garden tractor that is designed for hills and uneven lawns.
Top 5 Best Garden Tractor For Hills 2018 Reviews
These are our top picks for the 5 best garden tractor, including good brands for hills and uneven lawns.
Husqvarna is also a leading manufacturer of garden tractors and other outdoor equipment. We featured several of their products in our other reviews before. Husqvarna’s 42” Continuously Variable Transmission Pedal Tractor Mower is next in line for our review. It boasts an air induction mowing technology and a fast auto transmission.
- This Continuously Variable Transmission Pedal Tractor Mower from Husqvarna is equipped with a fast pedal-controlled auto transmission. This technology enables you to have less maintenance operation on the equipment.
- It features the latest technologies in air induction; thus, you can guarantee a consistent cut every time.
- The deck lever is fender mounted and spring assisted, which makes this garden tractor convenient and easy to operate.
- A built-in wash port makes connecting a water hose to the bottom of the deck much easier.
- Frame, chassis, and front axle warranty is up to 5 years.
- A trip with this riding mower can feel like a heavy workout with its poor ergonomics.
- The stiff steering wheel and the foot pedal can make your arms and legs wear out fast.
- Most of its external parts are made out of fragile plastic, so the slightest bump could easily break it. Thus, we do not highly recommend this one for a lot of bumps and heavy-duty operation. It can, however, does its job well if the terrain is only slightly uneven.
Cub Cadet’s XT1 Enduro Series Kohler Hydrostatic Gas Front-Engine Riding Mower deserves to be on this list. It has proven to be something that can beat the leading competitors in the market, making it one of the best garden tractors available. Let’s look at its features, as well as its disadvantages.
- Cub Cadet’s XT1 Enduro Series Kohler Hydrostatic Gas Front-Engine Riding Mower has a 725-cc engine that has 20 HP, so it is certainly powerful and suitable for 2 acres of land.
- In contrast with other garden tractors, this has an excellent design and engineering.
- With its strong V-Twin Kohler Engine, this riding mower can effectively cut through the toughest types of grass.
- This model of mower has a cruise control, which means that the rider can set a steady speed of how fast or slow should the vehicle run.
- There is a wide variety of possible attachments, such as mulching kits or leaf shredders.
- They also made the cutting deck rust-proof so that you do not have to worry about weathering and oxidation.
- You need to assemble some of the tractor’s parts first before using because it doesn’t ship with the whole model itself.
- If the front axle is left untreated with grease, it makes squeaky noises.
This 46” Continuously Variable Transmission Tractor Mower- 22V is a larger model than the previous Husqvarna mower we listed above. Similar to the previous model, it has fast auto transmission and air induction mowing technology. It comes in black, gray, and orange combination.
- Equipped with a 22 HP Briggs & Stratton engine, Husqvarna’s 46” 22V Fast Continuously Transmission Tractor Mower definitely packs a punch, and it lasts longer, especially when mowing for 3 acres of land or higher.
- Its front axle is made of cast iron for greater durability. This is excellent when mowing on rough terrain.
- Dual drag links offer maneuverability and a tighter turning radius.
- The cutting deck is coated with powder for more durability and resistance to corrosion.
- The seat and steering wheel has an ergonomic design for a comfortable mowing experience.
- Cutting height is easily adjustable because of its fender-mount.
- Based on customer feedback, it doesn’t do well on a very hilly lawn as it trips over. It can survive a few bumps but would take a lot more time as you need to slow down the speed.
- While the seat is ergonomic, the suspension can really give a hard time to the body while operating the mower.
The last pick in our list is from Snapper. The SPX 22/46 Riding Tractor Mower which features a 42-inches mower deck and 22hp engine has a Hydro-Gear T2 Hydrostatic Transmission. It is a mower that you cannot afford to miss out. It offers high-value features at a very reasonable price. It also comes in black, gray, and red color combination.
- Snapper’s SPX 22/46 Riding Tractor Mower (46-Inch 22 HP) features a Hydro-Gear T2 Hydrostatic Transmission. This is outfitted with a Briggs and Stratton 22 HP engine for long-lasting usage, perfect for 5 acres of land.
- The mower deck is 46 inches with 3 14-gauge steel blades that ensure a precise cut.
- The hydrostatic transmission makes the riding mower easier to operate coupled with its dual-purpose foot pedal that can go forwards or in reverse and cruise control.
- A tight 14-inch turning radius makes it very easy to maneuver, and its blade engagement is electric.
- 7 cutting height adjustments can cater to all cutting needs.
- It has been reported that the belts of the mowers are constantly replaced.
- It has a high maintenance cost that discourages people from buying it for long-term use.
Why Should You Get The Best Garden Tractor?
If you have a large garden or lawn, then getting a garden tractor is the best choice for you. Even if it costs much higher than a regular lawn mower, this will eventually be beneficial for you in the long run.
- It offers comfort to the homeowner while mowing. Cutting grass using an ordinary lawn mower can take a toll on your body, especially while working on larger lawns. Extended use might cause back problems in the future.
- Aside from cutting grass, there are a wide array of attachments available to the tractor. During winter, snow accumulates on your yard, and thankfully there is an attachment for snow blowing. You can also use this for towing small wheeled vehicles.
- This is more convenient to use for rough terrain. Most of the garden tractors are highly durable and can withstand the harshness of the landscape. Of course, you should always pick the best garden tractor available at your nearest home improvement store or order from a reliable seller online.
Different Types Of Garden Tractors
In order to determine the best garden tractor for you, you should know the different types available. Each type has its own advantages and disadvantages. Make sure to examine every type to help you decide what kind of garden tractor suits you the most. This section will define three types of garden tractors.
1. Zero Turn Mowers
These are high-performance mowers that run at high speeds and offer better mobility and efficiency. Zero turn mowers can reach speeds up to 8 mph, and these mowers can turn around 360 degrees easily. Some of the models come with large tires in the back and front-swiveling tires. Aside from its features, several attachments are also available, such as spreaders, baggers, snow blades, and mulching kits. These are perfect for 1 acre of land.
2. Rear Engine Riding Mowers
These are the cheapest and most compact types of riding mowers in the market. Rear engine riding mowers are perfect for a small garden or lawn that only requires minimal maintenance. Because of its size, this takes up a very small space in a garage or a shed. However, attachments are not supported in this type of mower due to its small size.
3. Lawn Tractors
These garden tractors are suitable for 4 acres and above. Lawn tractors are equipped with high horsepower engines, specially made for long use and for supporting larger attachments. Because they are larger in size, the mobility is not really that good. They are quite slow, and it can take a while before you can get used to it.
Aside from these types, there are gas and electric-powered garden tractors. If you want an environmentally safe option, go for the electric one. The battery will always be needed to recharge, but this leaves a small carbon footprint than gas-powered ones.
Mowing On Hilly Terrains
Cutting grass on hilly terrains can be quite tricky. Mowing in this kind of lawn can be a hazard if you do not know the proper precautions in order to avoid accidents like tripping over slopes or worse, being crushed by your own garden tractor.
- If you are traversing over slopes, make sure you are following it vertically (down and up) and not horizontally (across).
- Just like driving a car, do not make fast turns and stops. You should slow down if there is a sharp corner or downhill slopes.
A lot of garden tractor brands performed well in their particular fields. There are always risks involved in riding lawn mowers. As far as value for the money and overall engineering is concerned, Troy-Bilt’s 382cc 30-Inch Premium Neighborhood Riding Lawn Mower is the best garden tractor among the others mentioned in this review. It has a very powerful front-engine, and it features a cruise control. This means you can control the speed easily, making it easier to maneuver on hilly and uneven lawns.
Of course, we always have varying opinions, and we are entitled to ours. We recommend you to check other reviews if our verdict matches with them in order for you to decide which garden tractor is best for your needs. We hope that this review helped you determine the best garden tractor ever made available in the market.
Thank you for reading the entirety of the article, and share this with your homeowner and gardener friends!
You might like this: