Fleas are common parasites that feed off warm-blooded animals. Most of the time, they prefer non-human hosts, but when infestations get heavy and there are no other food sources, they will feed on humans. These flightless insects require warm and humid environments to reproduce and develop and can be a total nuisance for your home when left uncontrolled.
In order for us to understand the importance of having a flea-free home, we have to look into some of the facts that prove fleas are potentially dangerous despite their minute size. Here are Fast Flea Facts:
- The bacteria that caused the Black Plague are carried and spread by fleas. We have all heard about the pandemic that wiped out a quarter of humanity back in the 1300s—the bubonic plague. Scientists have found that the vectors of the disease are none other than fleas. In fact, a recent health scare took place as prairie dog burrows in two parts of Arizona were found to have flea infestations carrying Yersinia pestis, the bacterium attributed to the Black Plague.
- Pets with fleas have a high risk of developing anemia, tapeworms, and intense itching bouts called pruritus. Fleas also serve as vectors for tapeworms as dogs and cats do not get tapeworms through direct physical contact with one another. Tapeworms live inside the flea’s body and when grooming, dogs and cats sometimes ingest the fleas. The tapeworm then gains access to the dog or cat’s body through the ingested flea and uses its host to grow and develop.
- 95% of flea eggs and larvae do not live on your pet but on your sofa, bed, rug, and carpet. Flea eggs and larvae easily get spread everywhere and as fleas are capable of surviving without food for a long period of time, staying on nonliving surfaces is not a problem.
- One flea can become a thousand in your pet and in your home in as fast as 21 days. This is why regular pest control is important when you have fleas in your home— fleas reproduce fast and infestation could get easily out of control when left unattended.
- Fully developed fleas can survive from two months to 100 days without feeding as long as they stay inside their cocoon. Fleas are not fully vulnerable until they’re out of their shell, that’s why it can be very difficult to wipe them out after pupating.
There are many ways to get rid of fleas and most of them require a lot of constant work. You may already have come across reviews about which brands to use to help with your flea problem, some of them even promising products with IGR or insect growth regulators that will mess with the pest’s life cycle. While most of them have their own stripes at the tick indoor fogger game, there are still those worthy of the best flea killer/fogger title. In this article, we will give you a rundown of the five Best Flea Foggers to help your dog and your household ditch that itch.
Top 5 Best Flea Fogger For Home & House 2018
Here are the 5 Best Flea Foggers to Help Your Dog and Your Household Ditch That Itch:
Spectracide is one of the best flea foggers available on the market right now as it creates a fine, penetrating mist that can reach the deepest cracks and crevices for maximum bug kill. With its non-stain formula, it will not harm anything else inside your house other than crawling and flying insects.
- It has only a 2-hour fogging time.
- It has a non-stain formula that would not leave a residue.
- It leaves no odor.
- It is easy to use and can be used in the basement, attic, and even garage.
- It is a little bit more expensive than most flea foggers.
- It does not control bed bugs and some flying insects.
Hot Shot offers one of the best flea fogger deals around as one package contains four canisters. The mist it produces is fine enough to penetrate even into carpet fibers. In addition, it can control heavy infestations. It has four cans of the fogger, which is 33% more than the other brands.
- It has four canisters in one package, each can cover up to 2,000 cu. ft. for a low price.
- It keeps killing up to 2 months.
- Users say it is very efficient in killing fleas and insects that hide in carpets, rugs, and even fluffy furniture bedding.
- It doesn’t leave a messy residue after use.
- It does not control bed bugs and fire ants.
Black Flag is another one of the best flea fogger deals around. One package contains six canisters. It is very effective in killing German cockroaches up to 12 weeks. Lastly, it leaves a fresh scent without the messy residue.
- It has six canisters in one package, each can cover up to 2,000 cu. ft.
- It keeps killing German cockroaches up to 3 months.
- It doesn’t leave a strong odor after use.
- Unlike most flea foggers out there which take up to 8 hours before the odor subside, Black Flag only takes 3 hours.
- It does not have a wide spectrum of insects to kill.
This is another one of Hot Shot’s variety of flea foggers. What makes it unique is that it does not require pilot lights to be turned off when being used. This flea fogger contains three cans of the fogger. Moreover, it has an odor neutralizer.
- It has 3 canisters in one package, each can cover up to 2,000 cu. ft.
- It leaves a minimal mess and neutralizes odors.
- Its dry-fog formula kills hidden bugs.
- After use, it keeps on killing insects and fleas for up to six weeks.
- You do not have to turn off pilot lights when using this fogger. It is absolutely safe to use.
- It is a little pricey.
- It does not kill American cockroaches, fire ants, and pharaoh ants.
TAT Fogger kills a variety of bugs from roaches down to water bugs with its total release system. It has a wider treatment reach as compared to the other flea foggers and leaves a fresh lemony scent. It contains a total of three foggers with 2 ounces per can.
- It has 3 canisters in one package, each can cover up to 2,400 cu. ft.
- Its lemon-scented formula leaves no undesirable odors.
- It leaves no lingering odor, unlike most flea fogger brands.
- It works great and can kill ants and German cockroaches.
- It is a little expensive.
- You need at least 2 cans for an average room size.
Tips And Tricks When Using Flea Fogger for Home
Here are some tips and tricks when using a flea fogger in your home or apartment:
1. Do not use more foggers than necessary
Flea foggers are made up of flammable chemicals. If you use more than what’s instructed on the product label for the space you’re going to treat, chances are flammable residue is going to build up in your home and make it dangerous for both fleas and humans to live in. Make sure to read, understand, and follow the instructions indicated in your flea fogger box. It would also help if you know the dimensions of the rooms you’re treating so that you know how much fogger to use.
2. Place your fogger away from ignition sources
As mentioned, flea foggers are highly flammable and nobody wants to end up with zero flea infestation and a burnt-down house. Make sure your flea fogger is placed at least 6 feet away from any ignition source as recommended by the EPA.
3. Leave the house
It is best to leave the house for the specified period of time your flea fogger is supposed to work. Returning to the premises ahead of time may lead to illness.
Why Use Flea Foggers for Home & House?
Flea infestations can be horrible and can severely compromise your household’s health. As fleas reproduce rapidly, getting rid of them can be an ongoing struggle. While natural ways of eliminating fleas is a viable option, it takes a lot of work and tends to be time-consuming
Using flea foggers is an effective way of ridding your home of fleas and other pests while protecting it from re-infestation for a period of time. Unlike natural ways of eliminating fleas, using flea foggers does not need constant work as it works like a bomb, and it could provide a longer-lasting freedom from flea infestation as it also attacks eggs and larvae. It is also affordable as compared to professional extermination services.
The key to successfully using a flea fogger is following the manufacturer’s instructions to the letter. A flea-free home could never compensate for you and your family’s safety.
How To Choose The Best Flea Fogger for Home
While most reviews would tell you that the cheapest flea fogger available in the market is the best flea fogger, this article would offer you a more scientific approach to choosing the best flea fogger to solve your flea problems. The secret is paying attention to the active ingredient. This is normally found in front of the box and for the five flea foggers we just reviewed above, here are the active ingredients:
TAT Fogger and Black Flag have this active ingredient. It works by attacking the central nervous system of insects.
Spectracide and Hot Shot Fogger contain this active ingredient along with cypermethrin. It hyper activates the nerve cells of the insects leading to paralysis and death.
3. Piperonyl butoxide
Only Hot Shot No-Mess! Fogger contains this active ingredient along with cypermethrin and tetramethrin, which makes it a total chemical pest assassin. Piperonyl butoxide or PBO is not designed to harm insects on its own. Instead, it acts as a pesticide synergist, which means they aid in the killing action of the insect neurotoxins in pesticides. Insects have the natural ability to produce enzymes that protect them from pesticides. Piperonyl butoxide stops those enzymes from being produced, facilitating— in this case, cypermethrin and tetramethrin— attack on the insects’ nervous systems.
Fleas are one of the most fast-reproducing parasites affecting warm-blooded mammals, and it does not take much for them to invade an entire household. Your pet is only a vector and getting rid of the fleas in your pet is not enough to guarantee freedom from infestation. While natural ways like vacuuming regularly and buying anti-flea shampoo for your pet are a good way to go, nothing beats the wide-range extermination offered by flea foggers.
While hiring a professional exterminator has its own merits, seeking professional pest control can be very expensive. With using flea foggers, you only need to buy, read, and understand the instructions, and do it yourself.
One effective way of making sure you got the best flea fogger is checking out its active ingredients. Most flea foggers contain active ingredients cypermethrin and tetramethrin, which are synthetic chemicals designed to harm pests by attacking their central nervous system. For maximum effectiveness in getting rid of your flea problem, look for products that contain piperonyl butoxide or PBO, which increases the killing action of the fogger by stopping the production of protective enzymes insects use to fight off pesticides.
Personally, I would recommend the Hot Shot No-Mess! Fogger. Aside from the three-canister package and the dry-fog technology it uses to kill hidden bugs, it offers the best value for my money by having PBO as an active ingredient. With this, I am confident that the fleas and all the other pests in my home are eliminated and prevented from coming back.
Thank you for taking some time to read this article. I hope it helped in giving you a whole new insight when it comes to choosing the best flea fogger. If it did, please go ahead and share it with your friends and family. I also have recently posted lawn sweeper and weed eater reviews that you can check that out as well.