Best Trimmer Line Reviews (2017) For Edging and Trimming
Keeping your lawn in a tiptop condition needs the basic tool for weed and grass cutting. Pair your weed eater with the best trimmer line to get that perfect lawn you've always wanted.
Keeping a good looking lawn requires proper maintenance with the right tools. Using weed eaters and lawn sweepers can make the maintenance of your pristine lawn easier and faster. A weed eater is one of the most important tools that you should have to control unwanted weeds in your lawnsite. Also known as a weed-whip, whipper-snipper, weed-whacker, string trimmer, line trimmer, and strimmer, a weed eater is a garden tool that utilizes a string instead of a blade for grass cutting.
Investing on the best trimmer line is important to make sure that you have the best line in your weed eater that can handle heavy weeds and thick grass. This article will provide you with the things to look for in a trimmer line so that you can learn how to buy the best trimmer line on the market.
Trimmer lines come in different shapes and diameter which is why it is important for you to know which ones are suitable for your needs. The shape and diameter of the line determine the speed and efficiency of trimmer lines in cutting weeds; some are for lighter trimming jobs while others are for heavy weeds. Below are the reviews of the best trimmer line brands for 2017.
Five Best Trimmer Line Reviews For 2017
Husqvarna is popular for providing a wide range of garden equipment from lawnmowers to chainsaws and trimmers. Coming from a brand that offers high-quality garden equipment, this Titanium Force (639005102) String Trimmer Line is a heavy-duty copolymer trimmer line that comes with a patented design guaranteed to deliver the best performance and durability. Considered to be one of the best trimmer lines on the planet, its Titanium Force thread has fast acceleration and level flight characteristics which allow the trimmer line to reduce its fuel consumption. This trimmer line notably runs quieter and fits all standard trimmer heads.
- The line is round and smooth with a diameter that measures .095 inches.
- It accelerates fast and has a good balance.
- Perfect for gas powered string trimmers as it requires less fuel than other lines.
- When compared to other trimmer lines, the Titanium Force is quieter, but it still has the power to cut through a variety of materials.
- It wears down slowly, making it more durable and last longer than other lines available on the market.
- It fits most standard trimmer heads.
- While it may fit most standard trimmer heads, it was found to be incompatible with some professional models of trimmers.
- It is more expensive than other brands.
The Cyclone .065-Inch-by-300-Foot Spool Commercial Grade Grass Trimmer Line is manufactured by Desert Extrusion Corporation, a popular supplier of trimmer line to the commercial lawn and garden industry. The signature commercial grade copolymer nylon guarantees superior strength and durability. For use with all trimmers calling for .065-inch diameter line, this blue trimmer line comes in a 300-foot package. This trimmer line is included in the list of the best trimmer lines due to the satisfaction it got from homeowners that have used it.
- The special copolymer formulation provides longer lasting commercial cutting.
- Its color coded by diameter size fits well with standard trimmer heads.
- The patented 6 bladed shape delivers extra cutting power.
- It measures .065-inches-by-300-feet.
- This commercial grade trimmer line features a patented six-bladed shape for added cutting power.
- It is a bit more expensive than other brands.
The Oregon Professional Magnum String Trimmer Line (22-895) is a heavy duty string trimmer line made for professional use. This dual polymer trimmer line comes with 685 feet of line with a diameter of .095 inch. Its square design is reinforced with aramid fibers for added durability.
- This trimmer line's 0.095-inch diameter is suitable for medium to heavy jobs.
- It fits most string trimmers.
- The square design is suitable for thick grass and can be used for heavy commercial jobs.
- Preferred by professional landscapers for its strong grab for tough materials.
- The line has an outer layer that prevents welding and high strength inner core for added durability. The line won't break even if you hit a rock.
- The line comes in a 3-pound spool with the length of 685 feet.
- The line should be used cautiously. Make sure not to hit anything important since it can cause damage to a lot of materials, including your deck.
- The line can unbalance easily.
Arnold Maxi-Edge Commercial Trimmer Line comes from a reputable source of outdoor power equipment, parts, accessories, and attachments known to last longer, as well as do more. This trimmer line is carefully designed with specific features that suit your trimmer. This trimmer line fits most gas or electric trimmers.
- The trimmer line's .065 inches diameter is suitable for light jobs commonly used for grass or light commercial work.
- The blue string is a 6-point star which makes it a multi-sided trimmer line that delivers a clean cut for a pristine lawnsite.
- The 220 feet commercial trimmer line comes at an affordable price.
- It comes with 11 refills with a length of 220 feet and a diameter of .065 inches.
- This line is less durable than other brands of trimmer lines.
Another product from Oregon, this Oregon Trimmer Line offers a durable double polymer trimmer line that comes in a 1-pound donut. It still includes all the features of Magnum Gatorline, but the new shape notably reduces noise and improves its cutting efficiency. It comes with the weld resistant outer layer and high strength inner core.
- This trimmer line's 0.095-inch diameter is suitable for medium to heavy jobs.
- It has a user-friendly donut that helps in preventing tangles.
- The line still comes with an outer layer that prevents welding and high strength inner core for added durability.
- The one-pound donut contains 280-feet.
- Though it has the same material as the square shaped Magnum Gatorline, it is not as durable and tends to break easily with heavy use.
How To Choose The Best Trimmer Line
There are several things to consider in choosing the best trimmer line for your lawn or garden needs. You must be familiar with the different types, as well as the significance of the diameter before you decide to buy one. To help you decide, here are the factors to consider when buying a trimmer line.
You probably noticed that the diameter is always emphasized by brands that are producing trimmer lines. The diameter of the trimmer line dictates where it should be used. Generally, smaller weeds only require trimmer lines with a diameter of .60 – .80 inches. This ideal for smaller jobs around the house, front lawn, and whacking the weeds out your driveway and small areas.
Medium weeds need a diameter of .08 – 0.110 inches, which is suitable for bigger gardens that have slightly bigger weeds. This size of trimmer line can also be used for commercial areas. Large weeds may need anything over .115+ inches. This is for places that require a large amount of trimming for instance, in large estates, huge gardens, and landscaping of industrial areas.
Before buying a string trimmer line, it helps to check your trimmer to see what it is capable of holding since some trimmers are limited in holding a certain size.
Trimmer Line Types
After knowing what is the best trimmer line brand for 2017, it helps to know the different types of trimmer line so that you can decide which among the listed brands will be suitable for your needs. Here are the different types of trimmer lines and their corresponding uses.
Round Trimmer Line
Round Trimmer line is the standard shape for trimmer lines. It is a basic shape that doesn't wear down as quickly as other trimmer lines. Round trimmer lines are perfect for lighter, residential use with minimum weeds. This type of trimmer line is more durable and is less likely to break when it comes in contact with concrete or trees, allowing you to use it for fences and pavements for longer periods of time. The round trimmer line is the easiest type to replace in your trimmer and can be used as a replacement for Ryobi trimmers.
Multi-sided Trimmer Line
Multi-sided trimmer lines, as the name implies, have multiple sides that can produce a cleaner cut. This type of line comes in different shapes such as a square, star, or a pentagon. Multi-sided trimmer lines are more effective when used for heavy weeds, making it ideal for commercial use. The downside of using this type of trimmer line is it breaks easily when it comes in contact with hard surfaces such as stones or pavements. Multi-sided trimmer lines can be used for brush cutters.
Serrated Trimmer Line
If you need to clean up thick grass in a larger area, serrated trimmer lines are the best choice. The edges of this type of trimmer line act like teeth of a saw that can quickly saw heavy weeds and thick leaves. Serrated trimmer lines can be used for medium-heavy jobs and is also a great choice for commercial use and can be used a refill for echo cutters.
Twisted Trimmer Line
Twisted Trimmer line enhances the strength and efficiency of trimmer lines and also helps in reducing noise levels. This type of trimmer line can be considered as an upgrade of the round trimmer line as it offers increased durability that withstands hitting hard surfaces. The twisted trimmer line delivers a clean finish while reducing the trimmer vibrations and noise. This type of trimmer line is perfect for prolonged commercial use and can be used as replacement trimmer line for Stihl trimmers and for shindaiwa string trimmer.
Few Tips To Maximize The Use Of Your Trimmer Line
Now that you have the best trimmer line in mind, you should know how to properly handle it to prolong its use. Here a few reminders for you:
Keeping Your Trimmer Line
You should be mindful of where you store your trimmer line since direct sun exposure can affect its durability. Have a dedicated storage space for your trimmer line so that you can help prolong its life.
Know Your Trimmer Line's Limits
As you now know, specific size and types of trimmer lines have limitations. Make sure to check where you can and cannot use your trimmer line and be cautious when using it near hard surfaces.
Check Your Trimmer Line's Weight
If you intend to use your string trimmer for simple jobs around the house, you may opt for the lighter ones since heavy duty trimmer lines are heavier than others. The added weight can cause some strain on your back, so choose the weight that is just right for needs.
Choosing the best trimmer line can be tricky, but knowing the factors to consider in buying one helps a lot in your buying decision. As shown in this review, it is obvious that the Titanium Force String Trimmer Line (639005102) from Husqvarna is the best trimmer line of 2017. This trimmer line is significantly more durable than other trimmer lines in the market, and it offers fast trimming while being remarkably quieter. Even though it is more expensive than the other brands, it is a better investment since it doesn't wear down easily and lasts longer as compared to other brands of the same kind.
If you find this article helpful, feel free to share it with your friends who need some help in their trimmer line buying decisions.