Best Traveling & Walking Sprinkler Reviews: Different Steps On How To Use
Are you having problems with watering your large lawn? Read this article and learn about the best traveling and walking sprinklers in the market that would definitely end your problem.
Having a large lawn is considered a heaven for most of the homeowners. However, large lawns could sometimes give a headache to others especially in maintaining its cleanliness, as well as its aesthetic appeal. One way of maintaining the beauty of large lawns is watering its grass regularly and evenly.
Watering may sound easy, but it is not. If we do it the traditional way using an expandable hose, it would be too much hassle since you have to water a large area, and of course, it may take too much time. However, with the advent of high technology, manual watering of lawns has been given a solution in the form of water sprinklers.
When lawn sprinklers are first invented, they are designed to stay in place while shooting water all over the area. But as technology developed, lawn and garden sprinklers are already designed to travel around the area of the lawn to water the grass and other plants evenly. These are already known as traveling or walking sprinklers. Others call them irrigation sprinklers.
If you are having problems watering your large lawn, a traveling or walking sprinkler is the answer to your problem. But what is the best traveling sprinkler out there in the market? Let’s find out!
Top 5 Best Traveling / Walking Sprinklers Reviews For 2017
Traveling or walking sprinklers come in different styles, materials, and features. Here are five best traveling/walking sprinklers that are perfect for your lawn:
The Raintrain traveling sprinkler is one of the best traveling/walking sprinklers manufactured by Nelson. It weighs 17.2 pounds with a dimension of 9.2 x 1 x 20.2 inches. You can use this sprinkler for hours without worry. It can cover up to 1.5 to 2 acre of lawn.
- The body of this product is made of cast-iron, which also features a chip resistance. This makes the product durable and efficient in its watering duties.
- This product comes in a yellow color in powder-coat paint.
- This item can water a large lawn with an area of up to 13,500 square feet.
- This traveling sprinkler can travel up to 200 feet.
- This also comes with adjustable aluminum spray arms, which can provide a coverage area of 15 feet up to 55 feet in diameter.
- This product also features an automatic shut-off system.
- This sprinkler is self-propelled.
- It also features three-speed setting options – slow, neutral, and fast.
- Some parts of this product (like the gears) are made of plastic materials that are not durable.
- The movement of this product has a tendency to be overpowered by strong water pressure.
- The wheels have the tendency to auto-lock and may stop traveling at any moment
The Traveling Sprinkler 58322 is the best traveling/walking sprinkler that is manufactured by Orbit. It is available in five different sizes – 1, 2, 5, 10, and 20. It comes in dark green color. Many users of this product commend its amazing features, which includes cast-iron body and automatic shut-off function.
- This traveling sprinkler is self-propelled.
- This product features three-speed controls – slow, fast, and neutral.
- This traveling sprinkler can travel along any hose paths.
- This product is made of cast-iron, making it durable and efficient in its watering jobs.
- This item is rust-proof.
- This sprinkler can travel up to 200 feet and can cover an area of up to 13,500 square feet.
- This also features adjustable sprays that can cover an area from 15 feet up to 55 feet in diameter.
- The sprays have a rotary feature for an even distribution of water during watering jobs.
- The spinning rods are not of high-quality and have the tendency to fall off easily.
- The rotating arms also have the tendency to fly off because it does not perfectly fit the nozzle.
- The speed options of this traveling sprinkler are slower as compared to the other similar products.
The Lawn Rescue Traveling Sprinkler is manufactured by Melnor. It weighs 14.7 pounds with a dimension of 9.5 x 10.8 x 21.4 inches. It comes in dark green color. This sprinkler is designed to follow the path of the hose. Furthermore, it is easy to set up and doesn’t require any special hose to work. You can just use your existing one.
- This traveling sprinkler follows the path of any types of hose, including your existing one.
- It can water a wide area of up to 16,500 square feet.
- This product also features three-speed setting options.
- This sprinkler is ideal for sports fields like a golf course and other lawn with irregular shapes.
- The water flow of the sprinklers can be switched between a minimum or maximum spray.
- The sprays have a jaw opening of 23 mm.
- This product has a 7-year limited manufacturer’s warranty.
- This product is more expensive as compared with other similar products.
- Some buyers had complained about the sprinkler heads moving very slowly.
- The paint on the body of the sprinkler can easily fade off.
The Raintrain Cast Iron Traveling Lawn Sprinkler Tractor with Auto Shut-Off function is another product manufactured by Nelson. It weighs 18 pounds and comes in yellow color. It is well-loved by many users because of its amazing features. It is, without doubt, one of the best traveling sprinklers out there.
- This traveling sprinkler is designed to be rustproof and is made from cast-iron.
- This sprinkler can water a wide area with coverage of up to 13,500 square feet.
- The sprinkler arms can be adjusted for varied spray patterns and arcs.
- This product can travel along a preset hose.
- It can be applied with either 5/8-inch or a 1/2 –inch hose.
- This can travel up to 200 feet.
- This product also features an automatic shut-off system.
- This contains two motor speed options – high and low.
- This item can travel at a speed of approximately 37 feet per hour using a 1/4-inch water application and 21 feet per hour if using a ½-inch water application.
- This product can be installed without the aid of any tool.
- This product is more expensive than the other similar products.
This RainCoat Traveling Sprinkler is one of the preferred sprinklers of large real estate properties as well as for athletic fields. This is because it is a bit pricey for small-scale lawns; however, its durability and shelf life are what make this product included on our list. It is manufactured by AM Leonard. It weighs 56 pounds and comes in a silver color.
- This traveling sprinkler can be easily operated because it features a self-propelled system.
- This product features a combination of ¾-inch brass impact head and rotating sweep arms to have an even distribution of water throughout the area.
- This item features an easy control system for its speed. You just have to change the angle of the sweep arms to change the speed or the irrigation level of this traveling sprinkler.
- This sprinkler can water within 110 feet to 145 feet wide coverage.
- This product can travel up to 450 feet in length.
- This item also includes six nozzles for different pressure and coverage options of this water sprinkler.
- This product is very expensive and also heavier as compared with others.
How To Use A Traveling & Walking Sprinkler
A traveling or walking sprinkler is not just a typical, ordinary sprinkler that can be placed on a specific part of your lawn the whole day. Unlike ordinary water sprinklers, traveling or walking sprinklers are usually installed in a bit complicated manner. So, here are the different steps on how to use a traveling sprinkler:
- Insert the rotating arms of the traveling sprinkler into the spray head. Adjust its angle to your desired watering requirements for lawns. You may angle it downwards to water a small coverage of the lawn while the sprinkler is traveling along the hose path. If you want your sprinkler to cover a wide area when it starts to water your lawn, angle the sprinkler arms upwards. Make sure that the sprinkler arms do not touch the ground. Rotate it manually for several times to check if it touches the ground or not.
- Determine the appropriate size of the water hose needed for your traveling sprinkler. Afterwards, attach the hose to the water source. Then set the hose to the areas where you want your sprinkler to travel. Make sure to have a 3-foot loop at the end of the hose where it is being attached into the sprinkler so that it will avoid kinking when it travels the end part of the hose.
- There are traveling sprinklers that feature an automatic shut off system. If your chosen traveling sprinkler has this feature, set the automatic shut off ramp onto the hose where you wish your traveling sprinkler to stop. Shut-off ramps are ideally installed five feet on either side of the ramp.
- Finally, place the sprinkler on top of the water hose. Make sure to set the front wheel along the hose and the two back wheels on the sides of the water hose. Set the speed of the sprinkler. There are sprinklers with control speed options of slow, fast, and neutral. Others also have high and low-speed control options. After using the sprinkler, turn off the water supply to conserve water.
How Does A Traveling & Walking Sprinkler Work
It is amazing how technology makes our life easier. Instead of watering our lawn manually, we may use a traveling or walking sprinkler to do the watering with only less supervision. You just have to set the angle of the sprinkler arms, as well as the hose path, and then it is good to go. But how does this type of thing really works? Let’s find out!
The main principle that makes a traveling sprinkler work is basically through water pressure. You might wonder how a traveling sprinkler travels along the hose without anyone pushing it. It runs alone simply because of the water pressure that pushes and turns some gears that are connected to an axle which then makes the sprinkler wheels turn and run.
This might sound a bit complicated, but it is actually a simple application of water pressure integrated into technology.
Keeping your lawn nice and clean actually requires hard work and a meticulous selection of the tools and products to be purchased. Whatever the size of your lawn is, the five best traveling/walking sprinklers that are presented above will surely end all your problems in watering your lawn. Just choose the one that best suits your lawn maintenance needs.
Aside from mowing your lawn regularly, watering your lawn grass regularly and evenly is also essential to having a beautiful lawn. It is always recommended to keep your lawn clean because other people usually define the homeowners based on the aesthetic presentation of their house, especially the lawn. Using the information presented with regards to how traveling sprinklers work and how to use a traveling sprinkler, it is already time for you to choose your best traveling/walking sprinkler perfect for keeping your lawn grass beautiful.
Personally, I highly recommend the Nelson’s Raintrain Traveling Sprinkler Model 818653-1001. Even though it has parts made from plastic it can last longer than you think, of course, with proper cleaning and storage. Furthermore, it has aluminum spray arms that provide 15’ x 55’ coverage. It also features a cast-iron body for added durability. Overall, I think it is the best value; the price is very affordable but it does its job well.
That would be all for this article. I hope this has become useful for you in your hunt for the best traveling/walking sprinkler that is perfect for your lawn. Thank you so much for reading this, and please do share this with other people who are also looking for the perfect traveling or walking sprinkler that would be useful in maintaining their lawns.