Pump sprayers basically provide an easy method of spreading chemicals to your garden plants. Often, it makes the work a whole lot faster. They allow you to measure some solutions and spray them on the right areas in no time. Aside from making the job faster, the pump sprayers also prevent you from touching the chemicals.
In this article, I will discuss the basic things that you need to know about pump sprayers. I will specifically tackle the following:
- Types of pump sprayers
- How to use them
- 5 best pump sprays to use
- My recommendation
By the time you finish reading this article, you will be armed with new knowledge as to how to use a pump sprayer the right way, as well as the best pump sprayer for weeds available on the market.
Top 5 Best Pump Sprayer For Weeds To Use In Your Garden
Spraying your garden will be mostly difficult without the best pump sprayer for the job. This is why when purchasing your pump sprayers, you need to review the pros and cons. Fortunately, I have done most of the job for you, and have narrowed the selection down to 5 of the best pump sprayers around.
Here is a list of the 5 best pump sprayer for weeds which I recommend you to purchase. These selections contain great features regarding functionality, safety, and comfort. I will also mention in the following sections their disadvantages and possible defects to balance out the review. Hopefully, after reading this section, you will have a more definite idea of the best pump sprayer for your gardening needs.
The Chapin 20000 Pump Sprayer is a functional pump sprayer that can store over 1 gallon. This Chapin 20000 Garden Sprayer is easy to use which makes it ideal for the first-time gardener. Also, It is compatible with the common fertilizers, herbicides, and pesticides. Lastly, its ‘Anti-clog feature’ allows for a clog-free and smooth spraying experience
- It has 1-gallon translucent tank that makes for easy refilling.
- It has a one-foot wand, 28-inch reinforced hose with adjustable nozzle and comfortable spray handle.
- It also features an ergonomic handle.
- There are a few comments though from previous users claiming that it cannot maintain its pressure for long. This can problematic since it becomes unusable once this happens.
- Also, there are instances where this product contains some leakages. Nevertheless, such cases are kept minimal by Chapin. Their customer service is also quite fast to respond if ever these problems occur.
The Solo 418 Sprayer One Hand Pressure Sprayer is a portable pump sprayer that has a seal for harsh chemicals. This is great when you have to walk around different locations. Additionally, its locking trigger allows users to experience less fatigue during prolonged spraying.
- It has a multi-directional nozzle which allows you to spray in different positions.
- It has a unique drip guard, giving you added control for spot treatment.
- Lastly, it has a pressure relief valve that releases excess pressure that might be dangerous for your plants.
- On some occasions, though, its valve has been found to leak, releasing the pressure that’s supposed to build up inside.
- Using dangerous solutions on this sprayer may also result in accidents.
- Also, there have been instances where accidental sprayings have occurred, which can be hazardous if you use strong chemicals.
- You have to be extra careful when handling strong chemicals, especially with this portable sprayer.
The Smith 190285 Sprayer is an easy-to-use sprayer that is ideal for sidings and decks. It also includes a comfortable grip, which is convenient in long periods of spraying.
- It has a one-step assembly that helps you in the filling, pressurizing, and spraying.
- Its usability with bleach and other harsh chemicals is impressive when you clean tubs, showers, siding, or even locker rooms.
- It has replaceable Viton seals and gaskets that allow increased chemical resistance and longer spraying time.
- It features a poly adjustable nozzle for protection and convenience.
- This product doesn’t include pressure relief valve.
- This means it can release toxic substances when depressurizing, so users have to be cautious.
- Also, the tubes may be prone to clogging according to a few users.
- Lastly, sometimes the nozzle tends to lose its setting. This means you have to unscrew it, make the necessary adjustments (clean or screw) before it can function at its peak again.
The Smith Contractor 190216 Sprayer can keep up to 2 gallons of chemical solution. This sprayer is ideal not only for your front lawn but also for cleaning and applying harsh chemicals on dirty spots.
- It has a premium shut-off with a comfortable grip.
- It has a lock-on feature and in-line filter.
- It features a 21-inch poly wand (with Viton seals).
- Its pressure release valve helps prevent dangerous chemicals from getting near you before you open the tank.
- It includes 5 nozzles, namely poly adjustable, 2 flat fans, brass adjustable, as well as a high-performance foaming nozzle.
- The Smith Contractor’s o-ring is known for its small size. Some may find difficulty in keeping its pressure due to this feature.
- Also, some formulas like Thompson’s dye may be too thick for this sprayer.
- You have to make sure that the solution you will spray is thin enough for the sprayer to pump.
- Lastly, the shape of this model can still be improved regarding space. A cylindrical shape can allow it to store more solution. Nevertheless, this brand is still at the top of the list.
The Chapin 26021XP Poly Sprayer is a nifty sprayer to have when refilling or cleaning. It also contains a 4-inch wide opening. This model is also compatible with most fertilizers, herbicides, and pesticides.
- It has a 3-Stage filtration system with in-tank removable and cleanable filter.
- It has a comfy cushion grip shut-off with three nozzles for a variety of gardening and non-gardening applications.
- Its ergonomic handle allows for easy pumping and carrying.
- There are a few instances when this sprayer model isn’t able to hold pressure for long.
- Since the pump rod is partially made of steel, it is prone to rust. You just have to make sure you contact Chapin’s customer service representative. Chapin’s customer service is efficient even when compared to other big companies.
Hopefully you find these selections of the best pump sprayer insightful. Of course, even the best pump sprayer model can sometimes have factory defects, but you still have to choose the best one for the job in terms of comfort and practical features.
Among the 5 pump sprayers listed above, I would have to recommend Chapin 20000 Pump Sprayer. Its versatility and ease of use allow even the beginners a smooth spraying experience. Chapin’s customer service also influences my top choice.
Different Types Of Pump Sprayer for Weeds
There are basically three types of pump sprayer which you can use in gardening. You need to know each type so that you can choose the best sprayer for your specific garden needs. For instance, the tank sprayer is the most commonly used sprayer nowadays. However, if you will only want to cover a very small area, the hose-end sprayer will suffice.
Choosing the best pump sprayer depends on your garden setup and personal preferences. Also, it is highly recommended to use more than one type of pump sprayer. You need one for pesticide and another one for herbicide. This is because mixing the pesticide with herbicide isn’t recommended as they have different chemical components.
The following are the three types of pump sprayer:
1. Backpack Sprayers
Backpack sprayers, as the name suggests, are held easily on the back. It stores over 4 gallons of solution, similar to tank sprayers. Its design makes it a convenient choice when you are trying to carry a heavy load. There are some variants of the backpack sprayer that include a lever pump attachment. This allows you to retain the pressure without having to remove the backpack.
2. Hose-end Sprayers
These are the simplest and most affordable variants of sprayers out there. A jar is attached on the sprayer in which your concentrated chemical slowly mix with water as you spray. The jar material gets diluted due to the pressure from the hose. In hose-end sprayers, you will find an adjustment button on the jar to control the amount you spray.
3. Tank Sprayers
Tank sprayers or compression types are the most common spray tool that you will find on the market. It is popularly known because of its versatility. Your concentrated material is stored inside a tank where the water is then poured to fill a marked line. This type of sprayer is great if you are seeking precise and non-drift spray for your garden.
The tank can carry about 1 quart to 3 gallons of liquid for the portable variants. Frequently, the tanks are created from plastic, galvanized steel, or stainless steel. The tank sprayers are also efficient for cleaning decks and sidings.
Ultimately, you want to maintain a regular spraying schedule to maximize the pump sprayer’s usefulness. A regular spraying schedule will ensure that all the potential garden problems are under controlled.
Tips When Using The Pump Sprayer for Weeds
Once you have chosen the best pump sprayer for the job, you want to use your pump sprayer in a safe and effective manner. Here are 10 steps to use your pump sprayer:
- Wear the proper attire. Make sure to cover your whole body with long sleeves, pants, and gloves. Since your eyes will also be vulnerable, wear safety goggles or glasses. This will ensure that you won’t be exposed to the harmful chemicals as you spray.
- Hold your pump spray and rotate it counterclockwise to remove it from its tank. Pull out the valve on the tank if there is any. This removes any excess air.
- Add water to the tank until it is half full or leveled with your herbicide specifications.
- Measure the area you are going to spray using a tape measure. Refer to the herbicide you are using, and apply your solution accordingly.
- Attach your lid to your pump sprayer again.
- Hold the handle of the top lid, and continuously push and pull. Do this repeatedly until it becomes too difficult This ensures that your tank is pressurized enough.
- Hold your sprayer’s nozzle and adjust it to your spraying needs. Narrow down the spray to avoid other plants.
- Distance your sprayer around 1 foot from where you want to spray and squeeze the trigger. Spray until you notice the solution starting to drip off. Also, remember to pressurize your tank once in awhile by pumping the handle again.
- Once you are finished spraying, remove the sprayer lid and rinse thoroughly with a hose. Dispose of the water in a safe environment that will not kill your plants.
- Place your pump sprayer in a safe storage that is free from the reach of children.
In summary, pump sprayers are a great addition to any gardener’s toolkit. Pump sprayers are a convenient tool to have. You can choose among the three pump sprayer types: tank, hose-end, and backpack sprayers. Pump spraying requires you to be extra cautious, though. Thus, you need to follow certain steps to ensure your you and your plant’s safety when spraying the chemicals.
If want the best pump sprayer for weeds to buy, I recommend the Chapin 20000 Poly Lawn and Garden Sprayer, especially if you’re looking for a durable product. Which product do you recommend?
Thank you for reading this article. Please feel free to share this article with your friends!