Best Commercial Backpack Sprayer That Are On Trend This 2018!
Learn the different benefits, uses, and types of backpack sprayers and the things to consider when buying the best commercial backpack sprayer for your garden.
A backpack sprayer has three simple parts: a tank, pump, and a wand with several nozzles. It is a must-have for small scale farmers because of its advantages. Backpack sprayers are inexpensive and easy to maintain. They are perfect for individual plant treatments, and they are also portable, which allows the applicator to reach the plants even in difficult terrain. The ability to selectively target a specific vegetation without affecting those untargeted plants is one of the best-selling factors of backpack sprayers.
For this reasons, it is critical to select the best commercial backpack sprayer to maximize the benefits you can get from it.
Top 5 Best Commercial Backpack Sprayer Reviews
This battery-powered backpack sprayer from My 4 Sons is one of the highest-rated backpack sprayers in the market. The equipment is convenient to use since you don't have to manually pump the solution out when spraying. One of the best features of this backpack sprayer is its adjustable steel wand that allows the user to extend it for up to 40-inches long. It is equipped with a quick-change battery door for easy battery replacement and comes with an AC charger that can fully charge the equipment in 8 hours. This backpack sprayer can produce a pressure of 60 PSI and has a tank with 4-gallon capacity.
- This battery-powered backpack sprayer is more convenient to use and does not require manual pumping.
- Its adjustable steel wand can extend from 20-40 inches long.
- The equipment comes with LED light indicators and an easy-to-change, high-capacity battery for longer uses.
- The unit comes with 4 different nozzles.
- This backpack sprayer is quite heavier than others because of the added weight from the battery.
- It is more expensive than others.
This backpack sprayer from Chapin International is one of the most popular 4-gallon backpack sprayers for commercial use. It is manually operated and comes with a stainless steel wand and a 3-piece nozzle pack. One of the best features of this backpack sprayer is its 3-stage filtration system that helps prevent clogging and a wide opening that allows you to easily clean and refill the tank. This backpack sprayer delivers great results for less the price.
- This backpack sprayer offers guaranteed comfort with its padded shoulder straps.
- The 3-stage filtration system prevents clogging.
- It has a wide opening for easy cleaning and refill.
- It is compatible with fertilizers, pesticides, as well as for weed killers.
- This backpack sprayer provides great results with a lower price tag.
- There are some issues when it comes to the durability of some of the parts.
Another backpack sprayer from Chapin International, the Chapin 61800 4-Gallon ProSeries Backpack Sprayer is recommended for its affordability. As with the other backpack sprayer, this equipment has a 3-stage filtration system with a removable filter to prevent clogging. This backpack sprayer has a poly wand that comes with brass nozzles.
- This backpack sprayer is more affordable than other leading backpack sprayers.
- It is compatible with fertilizers, herbicides, and pesticides.
- It also has a 3-step filtration system to prevent clogging.
- The padded straps provide comfort for prolonged used.
- There are some complaints regarding the durability of the equipment and leakage problems.
This piston backpack sprayer from Solo, Inc. is equipped with a lockable hand trigger for continuous spraying, making it ideal for commercial use. The equipment has 4 adjustable nozzles that can accommodate different applications. This piston pump can produce a pressure of up to 90 PSI. It comes with an internal filter that can catch unwanted debris.
- This piston pump can produce up to 90 PSI, making it capable of spraying long distances.
- The trigger lock allows the user to spray continuously with ease.
- Its 4 adjustable nozzles offer versatility in applications.
- This backpack sprayer is quite heavy, and the shoulder straps do not provide ultimate comfort.
Uses Of Commercial Backpack Sprayers
Selecting the best backpack sprayer is necessary so you can maximize its uses. Backpack sprayers are usually used for Roundup, weed killer, and pest control, but it can also be used for bleach to treat mildew, as well as for compost tea to keep your plants healthy. Just make sure to determine where you will be using your backpack sprayer first before buying one.
Types Of Commercial Backpack Sprayers
Backpack sprayers have two types of pumps: a piston pump and a diaphragm pump. A piston pump sprayer produces a higher pressure which is around 90 psi as compared to a diaphragm pump that produces 40 psi. It works in an up and down motion and is enclosed in a chamber inside the tank. Pumping the lever creates pressure that forces the liquid into the wand and then sprayed out. Piston pump sprayers cannot be used for highly abrasive chemicals because the chemicals will damage the piston.
On the other hand, a diaphragm pump is proven to be more durable than the piston pump. Furthermore, it does not have an internal cylinder. Pumping the handle of the pump moves the diaphragm to generate the pressure. Diaphragm pumps are designed to be used with various formulations of herbicides. This type of pump was specifically developed to handle abrasive chemicals as well as chemical residue.
Backpack sprayers come in different tank volumes. It is important to choose the right tank depending on the size of the area to be covered, as well as the weight that you can carry on your back. You don't have to purchase a large tank if the area to be covered is not that wide. You should not buy the smallest as well since it will require more refills.
Backpack sprayer tanks usually come in 2-gallon, 3-gallon, or 4-gallon capacity. Most backpack sprayers have a 4-gallon tank.
Backpack sprayers have three different types:
- Manual Pump Sprayers
- Battery Operated (electric) Sprayers
- Gas Sprayers
How To Select The Best Backpack Sprayer For Your Needs
There are several types of backpack sprayers, so knowing the specific type that will suit your needs is very important. You should also consider the durability of the equipment and the availability of its parts if the need for repairs arises.
One thing to take note is the coverage of the area to be treated. For large scale farming, it is ideal to use ATV sprayers. For consistent use in gardens, pump sprayers are more advisable to avoid fatigue from overwork when using a backpack sprayer. However, motorized pumps are usually more expensive and require more maintenance.
Choosing the right spray wand is also important. It should be less susceptible to leaks and provide an accurate spray application. Selecting a wand that is compatible with TeeJet nozzles lets the user switch out and use different nozzle types needed to match different applications.
Lastly, if you want to use your backpack sprayer for applying oil-based carriers for controlling woody plants, make sure that the sprayer is equipped with oil-based carrier resistant parts. This is important to protect your sprayer from being damaged over time.
Commercial Backpack Sprayer Maintenance Tips
Once you have selected the best backpack sprayer for you, make sure to take care of it. You can keep your backpack sprayer in top shape with a couple of maintenance tips.
- The most important thing to remember is to thoroughly clean your sprayer after every use. Make sure to rinse your equipment with clean water or tank cleaner to make sure that no chemical remains in it. Keeping your backpack sprayer clean will help prolong its life and reduce the number of maintenance repairs.
- Observe safety precautions when handling herbicides that are left inside the tanks. Make sure to read the label of the herbicide for proper handling and disposal.
- If you live in an area with a colder climate, winterizing your equipment is essential before storing. To winterize your backpack sprayer, apply antifreeze solution to the tank to prevent it from freezing.
- Follow the manufacturer's guide in lubricating your equipment. Lubricate all the seals and O-rings as recommended at the start of every spray season. Lubricate them as needed if the unit is heavily used.
Calibrating Commercial Backpack Sprayers
If you intend to use your backpack sprayer to apply a fixed broadcast rate per acre, it is necessary to calibrate your equipment. Calibrating is determining the spray volume you need to have over a specific area. It helps in calculating how much product is needed to be added to the tank based on the manufacturer's instructions. Calibrating your backpack sprayer is important to prevent serious problems such as dead crops and ineffective pest control.
Calibrating your backpack sprayer is simple, but first, remember that one gallon=128 fluid ounces. This means that the calibration spray area should be 1/128 of an acre. This will help you make sure that the fluid ounces that would be collected during calibration will be calculated as gallons per acre.
- The first step of calibration is making sure that your sprayer and nozzle are clean. Fill the tank with water then spray some water on any surface to test if the nozzle is working properly. Choose the right nozzle that produces a uniform pattern for the area to be treated.
- Next, measure 18.5 by 18.5 feet on an area on the field where the spray will be applied. Measure the time it takes to cover that area uniformly by spraying with your wand gently from side to side. Do this step twice and get the average time.
- Then, with a constant spray pressure, spray into a container for the time you just calculated. Measure the number of fluid ounces collected in the container. This will be the number of fluid ounces that is equal to the number of gallons per acre that the sprayer will deliver. For a sample computation, if you have collected 5 fluid ounces of water in the container, then the sprayer will apply an herbicide solution at a rate of 5 gallons per acre.
These are the basic steps in calibrating your backpack sprayer. Simply follow these steps to make sure that your backpack sprayer will apply consistent spraying for your herbicide to be more effective.
Overall, the best commercial backpack sprayer for home or commercial use is the D.B. Smith's Field King No Leak Pump Backpack Sprayer. This is the best backpack sprayer because of its proven durability and versatility. Though it is more expensive than other backpack sprayers, investing in the best backpack sprayer is a great choice since with proper care, it can go a long way. The fact that it has a lockable trigger for continuous spraying, which is comfortable and easy-to-use, makes it the best backpack sprayer of 2018.
Hope that this article helped you in choosing the best commercial backpack sprayer for you. Thank you for reading and share it with others that might need some help in deciding what backpack sprayer to purchase. Have a great day!