Best Anvil Loppers, Bypass Loppers, Compound Loppers 2018 Reviews: The Right Pruning Tool For You!
Learn the basic distinctions between garden lopping tools, and find out the best anvil loppers, bypass loppers, compound loppers...Know which brand suits your pruning needs!
Pruning is an essential part of successful gardening. Apart from preserving the aesthetics of the plants and trees, it also serves a bigger purpose in keeping the well-being of the plants. Timely pruning keeps the plants healthy since removing wilted leaves and dried or rotten branches curbs the risk of your plants catching diseases.
When plants and trees are properly pruned, they get enough exposure to the sun, which is essential to photosynthesis and plant nutrient-absorption. In addition to that, the much-needed air, water, and moisture-borne nutrients will be evenly distributed throughout the plant. Trees and other plants that have been pruned well are evidently strong, have silky foliage, and develop great flowers and fruit.
The biggest challenge towards maintaining a pruning schedule for trees is certainly the difficulty of this task. A tree sets itself apart from other plants with its height and solidity. Pruning trees can truly be taxing since tree branches, and the twigs might be too tough to cut or too high to reach. Fortunately, loppers and lopping shears have reduced the trouble of tree pruning in half.
5 Best Anvil Loppers, Bypass Loppers, Compound Loppers
Loppers come in various sizes, colors, and specifications. Finding out the leading loppers can help you decide which loppers your trees need.
The GL16 Bypass Lopper by Tabor Tools tops our list of the best loppers for 2018. Manufactured by a leading garden and outdoor tools supplier, Tabor Tools, these loppers are heavy duty and are specialized for making clean, precise pruning cuts. Tabor Tools is also generous enough to include a comprehensive pruning guide with every purchase of GL16 Bypass Lopper.
- GL16 Bypass Lopper’s cutting blades are coated to reduce friction and cutting resistance. Its blades are forged from carbon steel, which is known for its high tensile strength. Because of that, the blades of this bypass lopper can hold on their sharpness in between the performance of intensive cutting and pruning.
- Its blades are heavy duty. They can cut through the solid, woody branches without making any tear-offs. The clean cuts it creates certainly make this an excellent tool to use when cutting close to the nodes.
- It can cut branches with the diameter of utmost 1.25 inches, which is the average size of most mature tree branches. In other words, this bypass lopper can cut the branches and twigs of most trees.
- The 22-inch handles are guaranteed to be non-slip. These handles have a rubberized covering that ensures comfort in addition to the shock-absorbing sleeves that are strategically wrapped close to the cutting blades.
- Weighing a little more than a pound (1.23 pounds), this stuff is incredibly lightweight for a 30-inch bypass lopper.
- An issue that one client has put to light is the durability of the rubber shock-absorbing sleeves. The rubber sleeves may wear off faster than expected. In spite of that, the client acknowledges that this issue does not, in any way, affect the splendid pruning performance of the GL16 Bypass Lopper. As a matter of fact, this item is an excellent lopper for cutting the branches.
Planted Perfect offers a pair of bypass loppers that promise smooth cuts as you prune. The Pro Bypass Sharp Steel Garden Lopper is on the top of this company’s gardening tools line. It is a strong contender on the list of the best loppers for this year. Customers who bought this bypass lopper also got a free eBook bundle that contains a bank of information not only about pruning but also sustainable gardening.
- Its rubber-grip handle makes this lopper comfortable to use even for lengthy pruning tasks.
- Pro Bypass Sharp Steel Garden Lopper takes pride in its ergonomic design that allows the pruner more leverage and precision. It is excellent for delicate pruning such as making precise cuts on saplings.
- Its cutting blades are made of hardened carbon steel, which is protected by a synthetic coating that makes the blades rustproof. The blades’ coating repels the natural substances that get extracted as the lopper cuts through the branches. The non-stick properties of the blades make it easy-to-clean so that you can effortlessly get rid of the traces of resin and tree sap from the blades.
- The handles are not as long as the other loppers of the same caliber. Nevertheless, the pruner can still benefit from the decent navigation the leverage this product gives.
- It is a little heavier as compared to the other bypass loppers that have longer handles.
Another hit by Tabor Tools is the GG11 Professional Compound Action Bypass Lopper. It features a pair of cutting blades that are designed to deal with thick woody branches. Its cutting capacity of 1.75-inch diameter truly makes this lopper an item to watch out for.
- It has four pivots that completely changes the whole pruning game of a classic bypass lopper. These pivots make the GG11 Professional Compound Action Bypass Lopper more versatile.
- The compound cutting action this lopper can perform proves how powerful this tool is. It can make quick cuts without compromising precision. Its sharp blades do not make huge wounds on the plants. As you may have known, large plant wounds are susceptible to infestations and rotting.
- This lopper does an excellent job in pruning stems of different textures. Many garden keepers and enthusiasts tried and tested this tool. Some have used this for roses and other flowering shrubs and trees. Others have tried this lopper for bamboo and some other plants with tubular stems.
- The durability of this lopper’s blades has been questioned by several customers. They claim that the cutting abilities of the GG11 Professional Compound Action Bypass Lopper can perform adequate work but not as heavy-duty as the other loppers in the same price range.
Easy Cut Ratcheting Extendable Bypass Lopper manufactured by MLTOOLS is a telescopic ratcheting bypass lopper that features SK-5 High Carbon Steel cutting blades.
- An excellent and flexible bypass lopper with handles that can extend up to 12 inches. This mechanism gives the user more reach and leverage.
- The ratcheting motion this lopper can perform gives the pruner more control of its cutting capacity.
- Since its primary material is aluminum, this lopper is lightweight which could be a little surprising since it is designed to do heavy-duty pruning works.
- Its telescopic handles reduce the cutting precision of this tool. This lopper does not make very clean cuts. In some cases, the blades create tear-offs and shave some bark off of the branch they cut through. For that reason, many clients have mistaken this for telescopic anvil loppers instead of a bypass one.
EasyGo Products released an item that can compete with most household garden loppers. This telescopic bypass lopper is famous for its large central pivot that makes it a durable option for pruning the trees.
- It has a large cutting capacity of 2-inch diameter. This lopper is an excellent pruning tool to use for mature branches.
- One side has a jagged edge that serves as its gripping or grasping “teeth.” This edge neutralizes the cutting resistance of the branch.
- The carbon steel blades are Teflon-coated. The non-stick properties of Teflon make the blades of this bypass lopper easy-to-clean.
- Its aluminum handles could use some reinforcements. The tubular material for the handles seems to be too thin that it gets easily overwhelmed by the weight and sturdiness of the lopper’s blades.
Battle of the Best Loppers for Pruning
Pruning is not simply cutting twigs or branches just about anywhere. It is a moderately delicate work. Careless and unmindful pruning is extremely counterproductive. Garden keepers and pruners must observe caution and proper timing when pruning. Moreover, knowing the right tools to use guarantees successful tree pruning.
Loppers are the top hand tool choice for pruning. Its curved blades closely resemble the cutting blades of handheld garden pruners. Unlike typical secateurs, loppers have long handles that enable the pruner to reach high branches more easily. Loppers and lopping shears are classified as either anvil, bypass, or compound.
Anvil loppers work by pressing through the branch to be cut, causing it to get squashed. Anvil loppers are not intended for use when making small clean cuts on the plant. This type of loppers is excellent when removing dead foliage and bone-dry branches.
On the other hand, bypass loppers are used when pruning the trees to keep them in their ideal size and when cutting delicate buds. Bypass loppers work best when kept sharp. This gives the pruner precision and clean cuts. On the other hand, compound loppers have several moving parts and hinges which are designed to make compound loppers more flexible and multifunctional.
Picking The Best Loppers for Large Branches
The first step towards picking the best pruning tool is knowing your pruning needs first. Here are some practical steps you can refer to in order to have a better understanding of the pruning and maintenance requirements of your plants or trees:
- Assess your plants. Study the girth and solidity of the branches of the shrub or tree you would like to put on a pruning schedule. Knowing this will narrow your list of which type/s of lopper to buy.
- Consider the height, branch arrangement, and position of the tree. This will help you decide whether you need telescopic loppers.
If the crown of your tree or plant wilts and dries rapidly, it requires more frequent pruning. Anvil loppers can handle this job well. Anvil loppers excellently work in the removal of unwanted parts of the tree. Since it can crush the segment of the branch it is cutting from; it is a go-to lopper for doing the preliminary cutting.
When pruning your trees to keep them healthy, you need to make sure that you prune by making little wounds on the tree. Small wounds heal easier and are less likely to be inhabited by pests. You need a lopper that can deliver smooth and precise cuts. For this, bypass loppers are the top choice. Their razor-sharp blades can make pruning a much less tedious and exhausting.
Compound loppers are usually used when pruning big trees with sturdy branches. The multiple functions of many compound loppers make them a very powerful pruning tool for fruit trees, which are subject to a strict pruning schedule.
The question “Which type has the best loppers to buy?” has been asked both by professional and amateur gardeners. For arborists, picking the best loppers only comes second to knowing your tree. In ensuring your trees’ health and well-being, as well as understanding their qualities and needs can do so much more than a sharp pruning tool.
There is no one-size-fits-all in choosing the best pruning tool for your plants and trees. Each plant has different requirements. Giving your time and attention to your plants will surely make a huge difference in their appearance and overall health. But personally, I prefer the Tabor Tools: GL16 Bypass Lopper. It is heavy-duty while giving you nice and clean cuts. Moreover, the blades are fully coated carbon steel, which is known to be one of the sharpest blades there is.
Thank you for reading, and please do share if you find this review helpful!