Best Compost Bin Amazon 2018 Reviews For Outdoor Organic Gardening
Read the 5 best compost bin for outdoor gardening on our review list and start making your own home hot compost in six easy steps!
Organic gardening is a rage nowadays, and we can understand the why. With more and more people pushing to live a sustainable life, a lot of homesteaders are growing more crops without using synthetic products and chemicals. One of the must-have if you are starting to embrace organic gardening is to incorporate all-natural compost to your garden bed. While some gardeners are blest with naturally healthy and well-balanced soil, some are struggling with how to keep their garden soil condition healthy without using commercial fertilizers. Well, good thing there’s what we call as ‘home composting,” which is an organic way of making your own compost minus the harmful chemicals.
If you are into DIY projects and would love to pursue organic gardening, then making your own compost for home use is highly suggested. Here are the basic things you need when making your own compost at home:
- Organic materials (such as kitchen scraps, dried and shredded leaves, or animal manure)
- Water sprinkler
- Compost thermometer
- Compost Bin
These five things are what you need to start composting. Now that you know the basic materials to be used, let’s discuss the best product to use for your compost bin.
Top 5 Best Compost Bin Amazon Reviews
Here are the five best compost bin for outdoor organic gardening:
Number one on our list is this classic soil-saver compost bin from Algreen. This gray-colored best compost bin for outdoor organic gardening is perfect for those homesteaders who want to make their own compost in large amount. With total dimensions of 27 x 27 x32 inches, this compost bin can hold more compost.
- It is BPA-free and is made from 100% recycled materials. Thus, you know you are not harming the environment.
- It has a locking self-watering lid, which allows oxygen to enter inside for a fast composting process.
- The thick and robust body is enough to generate heat, thus helping the microorganism to break down the materials easily.
- It is very easy to assemble, unlike other brands.
- It has two sliding doors, allowing you to check and remove the compost hassle-free.
- It costs a bit higher than most compost bin brands.
If the best compost bin for outdoor organic gardening that doesn’t cost much is what you are looking for, then WC Redmon has got you covered. This WC Redmon offering is perfect for outdoor composting. With a consistent good ratings across online reviews, this compost bin landed the second best on our list.
- It is an open-bottom compost bin, which is perfect for those gardeners who want to add worms to their compost. Just place the compost bin on the soil and allow the worms to get end from below.
- It is made from high impact plastic with a reliable UV protectant feature.
- It has four access doors to add and remove your compost easily.
- It also features several ventilation holes to allow oxygen to enter for proper composting.
- Its plastic resin material is specifically designed to be weather-resistant.
- Its lids don't have a proper handle, which makes it a bit difficult to open the lid with one hand.
This simple yet useful compost bin from Geobin is considered the best compost bin for outdoor organic gardening as it can be kept inside your greenhouse or outside in your backyard. Moreover, this compost bin can be bought in 216 gallons, perfect for those who want to compost a lot of materials to sustain both the indoor and outdoor plants.
- This is an expandable bin which you can expand to 216 gallons or about 4 feet.
- It is also made from 50% recycled materials.
- It has simple clips that hold the bin together. These clips are responsible for adjusting the size of the bins.
- This is perfect for dried and shredded leaves as materials for your compost.
- It is very affordable and can be assembled easily.
- It doesn’t come with a lid, so you need to purchase that separately. Covering your compost properly is important to keep the insects and other rodents away from your compost.
Enviro World Corporation is a popular brand that manufactures great quality products, and this compost bin is not an exception. This 82-gallon compost bin is very durable, thus saving you money and effort when making your own compost at home.
- You no longer have to assemble this product as it has a single body design. It is perfect for old folks who have difficulty tinkering gardening products.
- Upon purchase, the product comes with a composting guide booklet so that buyers are properly guided on how to make a compost using the Enviro World Corporation compost bin.
- Being dubbed as the best compost bin for outdoor organic gardening, this is one of the most durable compost bins available in the market.
- The lid and the door of the compost bin can be open easily, allowing your to remove the compost hassle-free.
- It has a solid construction and big enough for huge gardens.
- It is expensive, one of the most expensive compost bins. However, buyers of the item are greatly satisfied, thus overlooking the price.
- It has no multiple chambers and only has a few air vents.
This Austrian-made best compost bin for outdoor organic gardening is made from recycled plastic materials, which is very commendable as it is good for the environment. Unlike most compost bins on this list, this compost bin from Exaco Trading Company features a wash-out green color, which can blend and camouflage well in your garden.
- It has a unique aeration system. This makes the oxygen of the compost flow smoothly.
- It is approximately 42.9 inches in height. Hence, you do not have to bend too much just to put or remove your compost
- It is 100% plastic and no metal parts at all. This means that the compost bin cannot easily rust like others.
- It has no foul odor and is very effective in keeping rodents out from your compost.
- It is proven durable as the plastic material does not rot easily even after being exposed to the sun for too long.
- With about 10 kilograms or 22 pounds weight, it is quite heavy to carry, especially for elderly people.
- It takes about 5 minutes minimum to assemble.
Home Composting: 6 Easy Steps To Follow
Others find it tedious to tend to their garden, that is why they resort to buying commercial compost and wood chips to enhance the soil condition. But making your own compost is still the best option if you want nothing but the best for your plants. Not only is home composting practical, but it also guarantees you that the compost you use is safe and 100% organic. If you are curious as for how home composting is done (especially for beginners), then this article is the perfect read to give you the basic know-how.
Here are the six easy steps to follow if you want to give home composting a try:
1. Gather Enough Materials For Your Compost Heap
A compost heap is a mountain of organic materials which can be used as organic soil improver after the materials decompose. The very first step to make is to decide the organic materials that you want to use as a base of your compost.
For Colorado farmers and gardeners, they usually use the animal manure as it is abundant on their farms while homesteaders prefer to use kitchen scraps as it is available in their home. Whichever materials you choose, make sure that you have enough at the end after the materials are decomposed. Remember, when the organic materials are decayed naturally, the amount will shrink almost half of the mound. Thus, you need to estimate that the mound of organic materials you gathered will be enough to cover your whole garden bed.
The suggested height for your compost heap is around 3 feet deep. Some gardeners use one type of organic materials while some prefer to mix both green and brown materials. But experts suggest placing these materials alternately (for mix materials) for a better composting process.
2. Use Compost Bin For Outdoor Gardening
After you have gathered the chosen organic materials for your compost, it is time to make plans on where to make the compost. Do you want it indoor (especially for apartment dwellers)? Then, a compost tumbler would be an excellent choice. How about for outdoor? Well, the best option for that is to use a compost bin.
3. Sprinkle The Compost With Water Consistently
Moisture plays a significant role when composting. The materials have to be slightly damp to maintain the ideal composting state and temperature. However, please note that overwatering your compost may cause the pile to rot rather than decompose. The water should be enough to feed the microorganisms found in your compost but not to drown or waterlogged them. Hence, make sure to use a nice water sprinkler to control the water. It is best if you avoid high-pressure water gun like pressure washers as these can damage the pile instead.
4. Check The Temperature Of Your Compost Pile
As mentioned earlier, you need to reach the desired temperature when composting. For hot compost pile, the recommended temperature range is around 120-170 degrees Fahrenheit or around 50-77 degrees Celsius. Other sources also deem 130-150 Fahrenheit as the ideal temperature. To check the temperature of your compost, you can use a compost thermometer. This item can be really helpful in keeping your compost heap well-balanced.
5. Turn The Compost Using A Pitchfork
After sprinkling with water and checking the temperature, you now need to turn the compost to supply the pile with enough oxygen. Check the temperature of the middle of your compost before turning. Use a pitchfork to turn the pile about once a week. It is very important that you do this regularly as the level of oxygen in your compost can affect the success of the composting process. This also prevents your compost from having a foul smell.
6. Check The Compost By Hand
Lastly, check the compost if it still gives off heat. If it no longer gives off heat and the compost is already dry and crumbly, then it indicates that it’s ready to feed to your home garden.
There you have it, dear readers! The basic things you need to know about home composting. If you are having a hard time choosing the best compost bin for your organic garden, our personal choice is the Algreen - Classic Soil Saver Compost Bin. It is BPA-free which means it is safe to use around your children as it contains no harmful chemicals. Moreover, it is made from 100% recycled materials. This compost bin also features two sliding doors so that you can check your compost anytime without hassle. Lastly, its state-of-the-art design is perfect to generate natural heat for your compost.
We hope you find this article helpful after reading. If you know someone who plans to try home composting, then sharing this article with them would be the best gift. Leave a comment below and let us know your thoughts.