5 Best Chipper Shredder For Your Garden: Find Out Which One Is For You!
For many gardeners, it takes a lot of effort to keep your garden clutter-free. More often than not, we often find twigs and leaves all over our backyard during seasonal changes. Cleaning up your whole garden requires too much effort and time. Aside from that, the excessive timber makes your garden cluttered and congested. Many gardeners find this situation problematic and would often spend money on extra hand to clean the garden.
But with the advancement of technology, we don’t have to worry about excessive timber anymore. You don’t have to spend the whole day out cleaning the garden nor spend more cash for an extra hand. With the help of the best chipper shredder, cleaning the garden from debris becomes an easier task.
What Is A Chipper Shredder?
A chipper shredder is a tool that chops and shreds branches, twigs, and certain woods into smaller pieces. It is also used as leaf and organic waste shredder. This device can be used for both commercial and residential purposes.
A chipper shredder often runs on electricity, but recently, it can now run on gas fuel. Their blades are sharp, and they can shred any type of garden waste. Chipper shredders have different types, varying in power, design, functionality, and portability.
Why Should You Get One?
Having a chipper shredder is highly suggested, especially if you want your garden to be neat and clutter-free. Chipper shredder is safe to use and user-friendly. It allows you to remove unwanted twigs and leaves without spending too much time and money. Removing excessive debris can be tedious and time-consuming, but with this machine, work is easier and faster. It also helps create natural manure by shredding dead leaves and other organic waste in your garden.
2 Types Of Chipper Shredders
The chipper shredders come in different sizes and with various accessories which can be very helpful for your gardening upkeep. These 2 types have different functionality, as well as design to cater to your needs.
Bucket-Type Wood Shredder
This shredder comes in a funnel-like design. The disc-like blades are attached to the motor and spread evenly when they are working. The bucket-like design allows you to stow away debris and woods easily after they are shredded into smaller sizes. This is well-loved by many homeowners because of its safety purposes and state-of-the-art design.
Portable Electric Wood Chipper Shredder
From the name itself, this chipper shredder is known for its portability. This design has a load feed upfront, and its motor is located down below the feed. It is complete with handles and wheels, making this device mobile and easy to move around. The shredder also has a pusher which allows the load to be pushed down into the motor where the blades are attached to.
2 Power Types Of Chipper Shredder
1. Electric Chipper Shredders
They have a smaller end as compared to the gas-powered shredders. They are often lightweight with a lesser horsepower. These shredders are corded and are the best chipper shredder for families with smaller or lesser garden space. They are also the best chipper shredder for organic waste, dead leaves, and twigs.
2. Gas-Powered Chipper Shredders
They are often driven by the Power Take Off system which is often found in tractors. They are stronger than electric chipper shredder and have an average of 4 to 10 horsepower when they are in use. The gas-powered chipper shredders are best chipper shredders for medium-sized branches. It can also take more debris and leaves, unlike the electric ones.
A lot of chipper shredders have additional functions added to their system. Some of these machines have options like raking the debris or leaves into the hopper. Some of them have functions like a vacuum system which sucks all the debris and leaves off the ground.
Commercial chipper shredders are larger as compared to the residential shredders. They have a 15- centimeter diameter which can cater to larger debris and thicker branches. A commercial chipper shredder often comes in a bucket-type design.
Gas-powered vs. Electric-powered
In terms of power, the gas-powered model has more edge than the electric-powered shredder. However, it can be dangerous to our health. This type of shredder produces harmful fumes when it is turned on. They also produce a lot of noise due to the heavy-duty engine but do more work due to its power capacity. Furthermore, they are bulkier and take a lot of space in your shed or garage. They are also more expensive and need high maintenance.
An electric-powered shredder is easy to maintain as compared to the gas-powered one. One good thing about it is that the power source is available anytime you want to use the chipper shredder. They are quiet and are best for light gardening upkeep. They are also eco-friendly. However, they are not mobile and needs to be plug into the power source in order for the device to function. They are cheaper but still does well in mulching and chipping off the twigs and branches. Regardless of the advantages and disadvantages, chipper shredders functionality depends on the size of the debris and lawn.
Things To Consider When Choosing A Chipper Shredder
In choosing the best chipper shredder, there are things that you need to consider before getting one for your garden.
- The first thing that you need to consider is the type of landscape and the type of debris that you have in your garden. Recognizing the type debris and landscape allows you to choose which power type is applicable for your needs. If you have thicker and larger estate, choose the gas-powered chipper shredder. However, if you have a smaller estate with lesser trees, opt for the electric-powered chipper shredder.
- If you choose the electric-powered shredder, it is very important that you take note and be familiar with the power cord safety manual. The manual contains specific instructions as to which power extension is compatible with the device.
- If you opt for the gas-powered ones, make sure that the equipment is well-maintained and oiled regularly.
- Consider the engine horsepower. The bigger the engine horsepower, the more work the machine can finish.
- Consider the chipping capacity of the machine. If your device has a high chipper capacity, it can chip off larger branches with a thicker diameter.
- Reduction rate must be efficient. Consider getting chipper shredders with extra functional accessories like:
- Tilt-down hopper. The hopper allows you to rake the grass or leaves into the shredder.
- Trailer hitch. This allows you to use a lawn tractor or an ATV to transport the device from one place to another.
- Self-sharpening blade and knives. They are great for cutting and maintenance.
- Electrical starter. This tool allows a gas-powered chipper to start easier and faster.
5 Best Chipper Shredder On The Market
If you have already decided to buy your very own chipper shredder, it’s time to run through the top 5 recommended products. Check them out below!
This chipper shredder is known for its high horsepower capacity. This shredder runs on 10 horsepower which can shred up to 3 inches’ diameter of thick branches. It can shred leaves faster and easier with its swinging hammer system. You don’t have to move the chipper around when you are clearing out the twigs and leaves because the side discharges can work around the spot where your chipper shredder is working on. It also has a 50-state compliant certificate. This chipper shredder is the best chipper shredder for bigger gardens.
- It has a good chipping capacity.
- The engine horsepower is fast and effective to use.
- It shreds even larger debris and thicker branches.
- The leafhopper works efficiently as it rakes the leaves into the motor.
- The machine has a vague assembly instruction.
- The shredder is easily damaged because of the debris being forced into the feeder. It causes the device to jam easily when it is not drained properly.
If you are looking for a chipper shredder that can be moved around your lawn, then this is the best chipper shredder for you. This shredder comes with a 212cc Viper. It comes with a 5-year warranty and an optional vacuum kit which helps keep the leaves and debris off the grass. It stands around 25.4 inches wide by 29.9 inches long. Its size makes it easier for gardeners to stow it away without taking too much space. The shredder has 11 inches’ wheels which are very durable. Upon purchase, you will also receive the debris bag with a bottom out the zipper and a dock-and-lock bag connector.
- It has a very fast engine start-up.
- It has a good chipping capacity. It can cut up to 3 inches’ diameter of branches.
- It can shred wood into finer pieces.
- It is very portable and easy to move around the yard.
- It takes time to set up.
- It takes time to de-clog.
This shredder comes with a 205cc OHV engine which runs more efficiently as compared to the other side-valve engines. This chipper shredder is heavy-duty and has a four-cycle mulching process. The Yard Machine 208cc can shred up to 2 inches’ diameter and also has a high reduction waste ratio. It can shred up to 10 bags per sitting. Aside from that, this shredder comes with a 3-way feed which includes the rake-in chute, drop-down chute, and chipper chute. It has a built-in set of wheels, which make the device mobile and easy to manipulate around the lawn.
- The drop-down chute rakes a good amount of debris into the blades.
- It works with thick branches.
- It is a heavy-duty device.
- It is very portable, easy to move from one spot to another.
- It is a little noisy as compared to electric chipper shredders.
This chipper shredder can easily shred a huge amount of leaves in just a short period of time. It can shred chips into a smaller diameter. It comes with a discharge bag where all the debris is placed once the process is complete. It has a low maintenance motor which starts easily by just flipping its switch. This machine is lightweight and easy to move around due to its portable wheels.
- The chipper shredder is easy to use.
- This device is mobile and easy to maneuver around.
- This chipper shredder is ideal for light work.
- It has a low-maintenance on the engine.
- This device does not produce a sound when it is turned on.
- The twigs and leaves must be very dry before they are processed.
- The upper shoots clog easily. It takes time to de-clog it.
This chipper shredder is the best chipper shredder for heavy-duty gardening. It easily chips materials that have three inches’ diameter. It comes with chipping knives and hammers to assist you. It converts brush piles into mulch and has a high reduction waste ratio of 20:1. It also comes with a two-piece bushel bag upon purchase.
- It is very easy to assemble and lightweight.
- It can produce a high-quality mulch.
- It works well with larger gardens.
- The bags are durable.
- You need to cut the debris into smaller pieces before putting them into the shredder. It takes time to shred a whole piece.
- The wheels are not durable.
In conclusion, having a chipper shredder is a must-have for gardeners. It keeps your garden clutter-free and neat. It also keeps your plant healthy without spending extra cash on chemical fertilizers. This gardening tool is one of the best investments for your garden.
Thank you for reading this article, I hope you had fun reading it. If you want to suggest other chipper shredders, click the comment box below and share your experiences with it.