Best All Around Chainsaw For Firewood Cutting Products 2017 Reviews
Do you want to know which is the best all around chainsaw for firewood cutting on the market? Check out our reviews and see it for yourself!
There are plenty of chainsaws available on the market nowadays for a wide range of applications. Whether you plan to maintain your garden, cut down trees in the forest, or simply cut firewood, an all-around chainsaw will help you do the job quickly and easily.
The thing is, choosing the right professional chainsaw for cutting firewood and any other applications can be an overwhelming decision. Fortunately, we have created this guide to help you look for the most reliable chainsaw, along with reviews of some of the best all-around chainsaw products.
Choosing The Best All Around Chainsaw For Your Needs
Before you choose which chainsaw to buy, you should consider the following:
1. Where You’re Going To Use The Chainsaw For
If you plan to use a chainsaw for downsizing a fallen tree branch, then an electric chainsaw is the ideal choice. Moreover, electric chainsaws are the perfect choice for residential areas as they operate more quietly. If you want to work in a remote area and cut down medium sized trees, a gas-powered chainsaw with a powerful engine is ideal.
2. How Often You’ll Use The Chainsaw
If you plan to use your chainsaw for a few times each year mainly for doing light duties, then it’s best to opt for an electric or battery-operated product. This is because they are easier and more affordable to maintain as compared to their gas-powered counterparts.
3. The Type Of Trees You Want To Cut
If you’re going to cut large trees like oak, hickory, or beech, then you will need a larger chainsaw with a more powerful engine. If you use a small chainsaw for cutting firewood, you’re only putting it under too much strain and cause the chainsaw chain to suffer serious damage from wear and tear. In some cases, you can solve the issue by using the best chainsaw sharpener. However, if the damage is too serious, you’ll need to buy a new one.
4. Your Cutting Experience
If you have no prior experience in using a chainsaw, you should not go for a powerful model as it is normally hard to operate. It’s ideal to go for a smaller model with a less powerful engine but has enough power to get the job done. Moreover, you can easily move around if you use a small chainsaw. Using a bulky and more powerful chainsaw could only put a lot of strain on your arms which might lead to serious safety risks. If you plan to use a larger and more powerful product, make sure you have an experienced lumberjack with you.
5. The Diameter Of The Wood You Plan To Cut
When you plan to cut varying sizes of wood, you need to consider your all around chainsaw bar length. If you’re going to cut smaller logs, a shorter guide bar length is ideal. However, if you want to cut down logs with a bigger diameter, you will need a larger guide bar size.
Power Source And Guide Bar Length
Before you buy a chainsaw, there are two key specifications you should consider: the power source and guide bar length.
Chainsaws are categorized into three main types based on their power source: battery-powered, electric, and gas-powered.
A battery-powered chainsaw uses rechargeable batteries to operate. Usually, battery-powered chainsaws use lithium-ion batteries, making them portable and lightweight for performing lighter tasks such as cutting down small trees and trimming. The problem with battery-powered chainsaws is that their batteries can degrade over time and are at risk of exploding if exposed to heat. Since the battery power could drain after use for a certain period of time, you will need to access a power source once it’s been completely depleted. What makes them appealing to various individuals, however, is the fact they are environmentally-friendly as compared to their gas-powered counterparts.
Gas-powered chainsaws, on the other hand, are the most popular type of chainsaw in the market. They often come in two-stroke engines that run on a mixture of fuel and engine oil. They are the best choice for cutting down woods in remote areas where a power source is not accessible. Moreover, they are a lot more powerful and effective at cutting larger trees. Unfortunately, they are quite heavy and produce a lot of noise and vibration as compared to the other types. You will also need to refuel them every now and then, making them a lot more expensive than electric or battery-powered models.
Lastly, the electric chainsaw is the perfect choice if you are a complete beginner at cutting woods. It is often used for smaller jobs around your house, such as trimming, pruning, and cutting small branches. If you have a limited budget, electric chainsaws are the most definite choice. They are environment-friendly and operate quietly, making them ideal for use in your neighborhood. However, to operate an electric chainsaw, you will need an extension cord and should have a power outlet nearby. Electric chainsaws are also less powerful than gas-powered models, making them suitable only for smaller and lighter jobs.
Guide Bar Length
A chainsaw’s guide bar length is another important specification you should look into when buying a chainsaw. As mentioned earlier, your choice of a guide bar length depends on how big the tree you are planning to cut down. Moreover, the guide bar length will also determine the number of passes required to cut through wood. If you want to cut a smaller piece of wood, it will only take you one pass to cut through it. Meanwhile, cutting a larger piece of wood using a smaller guide bar will take you two passes.
If you plan to cut smaller pieces of wood for firewood, a guide bar length of 10-12 inches is more than enough. However, if you’re going to take on larger pieces of wood, you will need a guide bar length of 16 to 20 inches. If you want to cut down larger trees like a redwood, a guide bar length of between 22 to 36 inches is required. For your own convenience, here is a guide on the required guide bar length for each task you want to perform:
- Pruning – 10 to 12 inches
- Cutting down small trees – 12 to 14 inches
- Light firewood cutting – 14 to 16 inches
- Medium firewood cutting – 18 to 20 inches
- Felling large trees – 22 to 36 inches
Top 5 Best All Around Chainsaws 2017 Reviews
Now that we’ve covered some important information regarding how to choose the best all around chainsaw for your needs, let us review five of the best products you can find on the market:
The WORX WG303.1 electric chainsaw is considered one of the best all around chainsaw products that are powered by electricity. It’s a great product with enough power to take on cutting jobs around your house. Moreover, it’s also easy to carry and comes at a very affordable price. If you want to cut some wood or branches, the WORX can do it for you. With a 3.5 horsepower motor, it could easily compete with some of the powerful gas-powered chainsaws out there.
- It has a lightweight construction, weighing only 11 pounds, allowing you to use it for prolonged periods.
- The chainsaw’s cutting power is impressive for a product of its size.
- Its chain tensioning system works pretty well, eliminating the worries of the chain coming off.
- Like any other electric chainsaws, you will need a nearby power outlet to operate this product.
- WORX’s performance tends to decrease with long extension cords, thereby limiting your range.
The Black + Decker chainsaw is powered by a 20V lithium-ion battery to provide you with long hours of cutting operation. If you plan to cut down trees for firewood or simply clear out downed trees, then this chainsaw will help. Since it uses state-of-the-art lithium technologies, you can expect it to last for up to five times longer than a standard battery-powered chainsaw on the market.
The product is the perfect choice for beginners since it is really easy to use. If you’re looking for the convenience of an electric chainsaw without the cord, this is perfect for you.
- With the help of a 20V lithium-ion battery, you can expect this product to last for five times longer than other chainsaws on the market. It means longer operation, better output, and lesser charging times required.
- The chainsaw is incredibly lightweight, weighing only 7.2 pounds, making it easy to use and maneuver.
- Since you don’t require a power outlet, you can use it wherever you like as long as the battery is fully charged.
- It’s not a really powerful model, thus limiting your operation to light cutting jobs.
- There is no automatic oiling system available.
The GreenWorks 20222 model is a lightweight electric chainsaw designed for light use around the yard. Despite being a newcomer, it certainly has been able to make a name for its own. The product is powered by a 9 amp electric motor and weighs only 8 pounds, making it easy to use for beginners. Though it doesn’t have much power as compared to the other products in this list, it does offer great value for its price.
- It has an automatic chain tensioning system to make sure your chain won’t come off while using it.
- Despite not being too powerful, it is more than enough to tackle light cutting jobs.
- It is available at a very affordable price.
- You might experience instances of a loose chain every now and then; however, it can be easily fixed without any difficulty.
- It uses too much chain oil, which is why you need to check the oil level regularly.
The Poulan Pro 967061501 gas-powered chainsaw is a product manufactured by Poulan Pro of the Husqvarna Group of Companies, the same company that is widely known for creating high-quality chainsaw products. It’s a powerful 50cc chainsaw powered by gas to help you cut through medium and even large sized trees. You can also expect plenty of torque and a 20-inch guide bar to help you work through hardwoods and other large sized trees.
- As a gas-powered machine, the Poulan Pro chainsaw is capable of dishing out enough power to take on medium and heavy cutting tasks.
- You can expect great construction quality from this product considering that it’s manufactured by one of the most reputable companies on the market.
- For such a powerful machine, this product offers the best value for your money.
- There is no automatic chain tensioning system, meaning you will have to manually adjust the chain using a wrench.
- Weighing at 17 pounds, this is definitely a heavy chainsaw for beginners to use.
The Husqvarna 460 gas-powered chainsaw is no doubt one of the best all around chainsaw products you can use for medium and large sized operations. It's made of high-quality construction to ensure it stays durable and can withstand a lot of wear and tear over the years.
The product comes with a 24-inch guide bar and delivers a lot of power for taking on medium to heavy-duty cutting jobs. Despite its high-power output, the Husqvarna 460 chainsaw only weighs 12.8 pounds to allow you to use it without suffering from too much fatigue.
- With a 24-inch long guide bar, you can easily cut down medium sized trees and even take on larger sized ones.
- The machine’s chain tension adjustment is located on the side for easy access.
- The package comes with 3 extra WoodlandPRO chains, which are definitely a huge plus.
- It’s really lightweight for a beast that has a high-power output.
- Since it has a high-power output, it also means it produces a lot of noise. It’s not recommended to use in your neighborhood, and you will need to wear ear protection during operations.
- It’s a bit expensive as compared to other products in the list. However, you can expect from its great power output and overall quality.
My top pick for the best all around chainsaw is the battery-powered chainsaw by Black + Decker. The fact that you can use it anywhere you want is more than enough to provide you with the convenience you need while cutting down trees, especially if you need firewood. It’s easy to use, light in weight, and is an affordable chainsaw under 300 dollars.
What’s the best all around chainsaw for you? Don’t hesitate to leave us a comment below. Also, please don’t forget to share this with all your friends, especially those who have their own chainsaws. Thanks a lot for reading!