Best Digital PH Meters And Test Kits 2017 Recommended For Vegetable Gardening
Soil test and pH test for your home garden? No worries! We got you covered. Here are best digital PH meters and test kits for your vegetable garden!
Vegetable gardening has always been a part of every family’s lives. May it be in urban or rural areas, eating vegetables is always considered an essential thing to do in maintaining good health and warding off diseases. Even during the primitive ages, vegetable gardening had proven its benefits. It served as a means of survival, alongside poultry and cattle raising.
It may sound easy to do, but vegetable gardening is a little bit tricky. You may think that it is just a simple planting, growing, and harvesting process, but in fact it’s not. You need some help from several tools and gadgets to grow your desired vegetables successfully. These may include digital PH meters and test kits to measure the acidity and alkalinity of the soil or water used in your vegetable garden.
But why should we measure the PH level of our garden soil when growing veggies? What are the best digital PH meters and test kits that help you grow your vegetables successfully? All this and more in the succeeding sections below:
Five Best Digital PH Meters And Test Kits Reviews
Here are the five best digital PH meters and test kits to help you grow your desired vegetables successfully!
Number one on the list of best digital PH meters and test kits is the Dr. Meter Soil Moisture Meter. This PH meter is a 3-in-one moisture tester. It is preferable in both indoor and outdoor gardening because it is a portable device.
- This device doesn’t need any battery or electricity.
- It comes with two 20 cm probe that replaces battery or electricity to run the device.
- It is a 3-in-one test kit. It measures the PH value of the garden soil, as well as the moisture content and the light level.
- It is very accurate in its measurement and responds quickly.
- It has three calibration tables that immediately shows the PH value, the moisture content, and the light level.
- This is very useful in determining if your vegetables already need some watering or more sunlight.
- It is very easy to use by just inserting it directly into the soil to run the test.
- Some buyers complain that the sensor tip immediately deteriorates, and when this happens, the device can no longer measure the PH value, moisture, and light level accurately.
- This cannot be left inserted into the soil for a long period of time because this causes deterioration of the sensor tip.
- This is only design for testing garden soil. This is not applicable for hydroponics.
Next on the list is the Soil pH Meter 3-in1 Soil Test Kit from Healthy Wiser. Similar with the Dr. Meter, Healthy Wiser is also a 3-in1 test kit and also needs no battery or electricity. This easy-to-use PH digital meter is well-loved by many users because of its practicality. Having one device for three types of test is indeed a cost-efficient product to choose.
- Similar with the Dr. Meter, it doesn’t need any batteries or electricity. You only need to plug the probe to use the device.
- This is also a 3-in-1 PH meter. This measures sunlight, moistures, and the PH value of the soil.
- This can be used easily by inserting it directly into the garden soil.
- It comes with a six and a half inches probe.
- The results are very instantaneous unlike any other PH meters in the market.
- The results can immediately be seen on the calibration tables which come in three– light level, moisture content, and PH value.
- The probe is pretty short as compared with other PH digital meter and test kits with approximately 20 centimeters probe. Healthy Wiser’s probe is only 6.5 inches long which is equivalent to 16.51 centimeters.
- When measuring the moisture and light level, the results are very quick. However, if you are testing for the PH value, you have to wait for ten minutes to get an accurate result.
- It is a bit expensive as compared with other PH meters with, more or less, similar features.
- This is only designed for testing garden soil. This is not applicable for hydroponics and other water-based gardening.
Another PH meter that is considered one of the best digital PH meters and test kits recommended for vegetable gardening is the Covery 3 in 1 Soil Tester. This is also similar to the first two PH meters that don’t need any battery or electricity for it to work. This product also features warranty which enables the buyers to have a replacement or a refund in case there is damage or defect upon purchase.
- This device lets you know when to water your plant as this determines the moisture content of the garden soil.
- It also helps in determining whether your plant needs more sunlight or not since it also measures the light level of your plant.
- It helps you in controlling the PH value of your soil since it immediately determines the PH value of your garden soil.
- It can be used in both indoor and outdoor gardens and even in farms or lawns.
- This does not need any battery or electricity.
- It comes with a probe that is 18 centimeters in length.
- This device cannot be left in the soil for a long period of time.
- You have to wait for ten minutes to get an accurate result.
- This device is not preferable in hard soils since the probe can easily get damaged, making the device not capable of measuring the PH value, moisture, and light content properly.
- This is only design for testing garden soil. This is not applicable for hydroponics.
- The inserted user manual doesn’t contain all the information about the product, so better check the website stipulated in the manual to check more information.
The Jellas Pocket Size PH Meter comes in blue and yellow color. Its size is 5.94 x 1.22 x 0.79 inches and weighs 1.76 ounces. This test kit is very easy to use and portable, you can just place it inside your pocket. Moreover, it provides an easy-to-read and instant test result.
- This test kit offers a wide range of benefits, from household purposes up to laboratory uses.
- This device can also be used to measure the PH value of the water in aquariums, pools, spas, hydroponics, and even wine and beer.
- It measures and displays the result instantly with its LCD display.
- It measures the PH value quickly and accurately.
- This is way better than a litmus paper with its easy-to-use features. Just take off the protective cap and immerse its electrode into the water to be tested, then press its switch button to turn it on or off.
- It comes with a carry case to easily carry the product anywhere you want.
- It also comes with one calibration screwdriver, two PH buffer powder for calibration, and of course, its user manual.
- Some buyers complain about the product’s glass globe. It is very fragile; therefore, avoid putting on much pressure on it.
- Different color comes in different prizes for no reason. The blue one is more expensive as compared with the yellow one.
The Rozway Premium Digital pH Meter is also considered one of the best digital PH meters and test kits for vegetable gardening, especially those that can be grown in a hydroponics system. This product features two options – the Backlight and the Standard one. The performance of the two is just the same. They only differ in their LED display; the Backlight has a light green screen on its LED display. It can be used to test the PH level in the soil, as well as in water.
- This PH meter yields a very accurate result and displays it quickly on its LED display.
- This also features a wide variety of uses. It can be used in both hydroponics and the traditional soil gardening.
- This device may also be used in testing the PH value of your swimming pools, aquariums, tap drinking water, wine or beer.
- It also comes with 6x free buffer powder bags and a high-quality microfiber cloth for drying the device when it is used in testing water.
- It also features an auto calibration button and an automatic temperature compensation technology.
- This PH meter measures PH value from ranges 0 to 14 level with a 0.01 resolution.
- It comes in a handy with its 5.9 x 0.5 x 1.1 inches size and 4 ounces weight.
- It also comes with a complete carrying case to carry the device anywhere you go.
- It features a 100% money back guarantee.
- It can also measure the PH level of your fruits and vegetables.
- It is almost double the prize of an ordinary PH meter, which is quite understandable since it can be used in both soil and water tests.
What Is PH Level?
Now that you have the list of the five best digital PH meters and test kits recommended for vegetable gardening, let us now understand what PH level is. PH level is basically the amount of hydrogen ion in a solution. Measuring this could only result in two things – the acidity or the alkalinity of the solution. Therefore, if we say PH meter for vegetable gardening, this would refer to devices used in measuring the acidity or the alkalinity of the soil for soil gardening, or water for hydroponics.
What Are The Various Ways Of Growing Vegetables?
When we hear about vegetable gardening, we always picture out farms in the mountainous areas and of course, the rich soil that comes with it. This would immediately signify the traditional and typical soil gardening. This could be done directly on the ground, or it could also be inside a container with rich soil in it. We could also do both – planting directly on the ground with a container. This is done by raising the bed of your vegetable garden using various types of containers.
Vegetable gardens can also be placed indoors or outdoors. Raised bed vegetable gardening or planting directly on the ground is considered an outdoor vegetable gardening. Planting vegetables in containers are preferable when planning to have an indoor vegetable garden. To do this, you have to consider the appropriate type of potting soils to make your vegetable grow healthy and successfully.
With the rise of new technology comes the evolution of the traditional vegetable gardening. Here, we introduce hydroponics. This is also known as aquaculture, nutriculture, soilless culture, or tank farming. It is the means of planting vegetables in a tank or any container with water that are enriched with nutrients necessary for growing the veggies. It is like planting vegetables in an aquarium with the absence of the fishes.
Hydroponics is not merely taking care of plants in an aquarium. You may follow certain hydroponics systems. These may include organic hydroponic vertical garden, pathonor, or deep water culture.
Now that you are already presented with the necessary test kits to use in vegetable gardening, as well as the different ways of having a vegetable garden, you may now have the plan to start your own vegetable garden or improve your existing ones. Just always make sure to take care of them properly, water them regularly, place them in areas with adequate sunlight, and always mind their PH value. To do these, you may always seek assistance from one of the five best digital PH meters and test kits that make it to this list.
As for me, I would highly recommend the Rozway Premium Digital pH Meter because it can be used for soil and water testing, which is perfect for those gardeners with traditional soil garden and water-based hydroponics. Even though it’s expensive, the price is all worth it.
Thank you for having the time to read this, and please do share with fellow gardeners!