Top 5 Best Water Chiller For Hydroponics Garden 2017 Reviews
Water chillers are used in cooling down the temperature in fish tanks and hydroponics systems. They help the plants and fishes to be healthy by keeping the water temperature at a constant cool level.
Hydroponic gardens are one of the state-of-the-art techniques that many of us had been incorporating in our gardens. Hydroponics is good for people who don’t have that space outside their homes. However, having one can be expensive and tedious to maintain. It requires a lot of time and money, mainly because their needs are different from the usual plants.
During the summer season, many of us would often find ourselves frustrated due to the hot temperature, but temperature also causes a major impact on our plant. There are several ways how we can keep the temperature down in the reservoir, but most of the time, they are not that effective.
One way of keeping the water cool is by using an aquarium water chiller. They are not only used for aquarium purposes, but they also do well in hydroponics and other personal use. If you are cynical about it, in this article, we are going to list down reasons why you should invest on the best aquarium water chiller for hydroponic system.
5 Best Water Chiller For Hydroponics Garden
This is considered as one of the best aquarium water chillers because of its refrigeration capacity. This water chiller has a 13-106 gallon capacity that easily cools down in the span of 20 hours. It is safe to use because of the R134a substance that keeps the system cool and running. Aside from that, the said device is equipped with a microcomputer control system and LCD system to adjust the temperature in your garden.
- It is very easy to assemble and also a user-friendly device.
- It doesn’t vibrate and produces zero noise when you start this one.
- The water easily chills in the span of one hour and a half.
- The machine is very durable, and it can work around the clock.
- Some of its tubings easily break; you need to handle them more carefully.
- The device has a temperature sensor issue.
- You need to buy a separate water pump for the aquarium water chiller.
The Aqua Euro Max aquarium chiller is considered as the best aquarium water chiller for both hydroponics and fish aquariums. The said machine is equipped with an anti-freezing system that prevents the heat exchanger to freeze. It maintains a constant water temperature even when you lower the temperature in your reservoir. It is equipped with a digital led display control that allows you to tweak the temperature depending on your preferred temperature level.
- It has a faster freezing rate as compared to other chillers in the market. It can easily chill bathtub filled with water in the span of 30 minutes.
- It doesn’t heat up or produce annoying sound when it starts to work.
- It is very easy to install and user-friendly.
- There are no instructions on how to clean the filter and condenser.
- When purchasing this device, it is best that you get this from a reputable seller to avoid fraud and damaged products.
If you have a smaller reservoir sizing up to 55 gallons or less, then the IceProbe might be the best aquarium water chiller that you are looking for. IceProbe is equipped with an efficient and state-of-the-art thermoelectric technology that keeps your reservoir cool. It comes with pre-filters and siphons for easy cleaning. Aside from that, this electricity-powered machine comes with a separate temperature controller that turns on and off the device on a pre-determined temperature. This is the best aquarium water chiller for Deep Water Culture Hydroponics system.
- The temperature drops a degree lower from the original temperature being set.
- It comes with a one-year warranty.
- It is durable and made of excellent quality.
- The temperature fluctuates depending on the garden location.
- There are some reported technical problems with the separate controllers.
The JBJ Arctic Aqua Titanium is known for its cost-efficient condenser. It produces less noise, but it can easily chill the water in your reservoir in a short time. It is also equipped with an environmental-friendly refrigerant called R-134A. Aside from that, this device is named the best aquarium water chiller because of its durable and corrosion free housing. This device is also equipped with a LED display control that allows you to adjust the water in accordance with the preferred temperature.
- It can easily cool 120 gallons of water in a short period of time.
- There are no temperature fluctuations. The water is kept at a constant temperature level.
- The company has a good customer service.
- There are times that the machine produces a vibrating sound.
- You have to buy this machine from a reputable buyer to avoid fake units or imitations.
This machine has garnered good customer ratings because of its efficient compressor. Aside from its well-made compressor, this machine is hailed as the best aquarium water chiller because of its dual fittings. You can either use a one-inch PVC pipe or flexible tubes when using this aquarium chiller for your hydroponic system or water tanks. It has a LED display control for temperature adjustments. This water chiller is not just used for hydroponics and aquarium tanks, but it can also be used for other personal purposes.
- The water temperature remains constant.
- The water easily chills in a short period of time.
- It has a durable casing; this aquarium water chiller is made from galvanized steel.
- When you opt to buy this aquarium water chiller, it is best that you purchase it from a reputable buyer. Because of its popularity, many attempts to produce imitations.
What is a Hydroponic Water Chiller?
A water chiller is a device that is used to lessen the temperature in the water. It has a thermostat that helps you see the temperature in the water and allows you to adjust when you think it is too high for your aquarium or hydroponic garden.
Why Use Water Chiller in Hydroponics Gardening?
A water chiller is often used for fish aquariums. However, many gardeners started using the water chiller for their hydroponic gardens. In a water-based hydroponic garden, plants are not planted into the ground but are rather soilless. They usually rely on water to survive. As a hydroponic gardener, you need to remember that high temperature can be really problematic for your garden. It lessens the oxygen dissolved in the plant roots. The oxygen dissolved is considered the life source for most hydroponics. Hence, maintaining one at the recommended level will help you grow a better and healthier garden.
One of the reasons why you should get a water chiller is because of the filter inside its system. The filter acts as a cleaning device which filters the air that the plants usually take in. Another thing is that the chiller makes sure that the plants do not dry out even in the air conditioned places. Water chillers are also ideal for plants system like NFT (Nutrient Film Technique) and Aeroponics.
Things That You Should Consider Before Getting One
When you choose the aquarium water chiller for your garden, it is best that you consider the size of your reservoir. Your water chiller should be able to suffice the whole system without heating or drying up. If you are new to hydroponics systems, it is best that you consult a professional before buying the device. These professionals can help you size up the water chiller that it is perfect for your garden.
Once you have gotten the size of the chiller, you can now buy the chiller for your garden. When buying the chiller, it is best that you do not look up on the price of the aquarium water chiller. Instead, check the quality . Cheap water chillers are often noisy, and they vibrate when they are working in your garden. You should also take note whether the chiller has a titanium heat exchanger. This will help the cold water flow down into the plant system.
How To Get The Size Of Your Aquarium Water Chiller
If you are a hydroponic gardener who is planning to get an aquarium water chiller, it is important that you get the size of your reservoir in order to get the correct size of the chiller. Below are the instructions on how to get the size of your water chiller.
1. Get the accurate amount of water in your hydroponic system.
Aquarium water chillers have a different water level capacity. It would also help you determine the time it would take for your water to chill.
2. Determine which time of the day has the highest temperature. Also, check the places that have easily heat up during this time.
Your goal is to get the maximum temperature of the room. There are other chillers that work depending on the location; this will help you determine if that water chiller will work in your garden or not.
3. After that, try to decrease the temperature down to 60-70 degrees Fahrenheit. You can chill down the system by adding sealed bags filled with ice. You can also use 2 liter of frozen water in plastic bottles.
4. When doing this process, it is very important that the bags and the water bottles are sealed. Your aim is to check the water temperature. It is important that you don’t add too much water. This can affect the result of the test.
5. Once the water has reached the desired temperature, you need to remove the ice bags or water bottles from the system. Allow the water to circulate through the system.
6. After that, get a timer and a notebook or notepad. Press start, and then measure the starting temperature of the water.
7. After an hour, check the temperature again. Then jot it down.
8. Once you have done getting the temperature, subtract the starting temperature from the new temperature after an hour. The difference of the two will be your temperature differential.
9. After that, use this formula BTU= Gallons of water X (multiply) 8.34 ( the weight of one gallon of water X (multiply) temperature differential.
With this, you can now get the correct amount of BTUs that you need in your garden. Here are some of the standard measurements of BTUs per ton.
Types of Hydroponic Water Chillers
1. Drop-In Chillers
Drop in water chillers are often placed directly into the water filters. They usually come with a probe that helps in filtering the air and improves the air that is being filtered. If you are into Deep water culture hydroponics, this is the best aquarium water chiller for you. This water chiller is very easy to install and doesn’t take up too much space.
2. Thermoelectric Chillers
This is the best water chiller for smaller aquarium and hydroponic system. It can hold up to a maximum water level of 55 gallons of water. This water chiller does not produce a vibrating sound when it works. Among the types of water chillers, thermoelectric are considered more cost-effective because it has a low-maintenance upkeep as compared to the drop in and inline.
3. In-Line Chillers
The in-line water chiller is intended for a larger water system. Oftentimes, they require plumbing because of the in-line filters which filter the water and keep it at a constant temperature. It comes in 1/5 to 1 ton sizes. This is the best aquarium water chiller for NFT hydroponic system.
Although there are many ways to keep the temperature down in a hydroponic system, it is not an assurance that it will work well as it goes. Using aquarium water chillers in hydroponic gardening is hailed as one of the most effective and cost-efficient technique to keep your garden healthy.
Thank you for reading this article! And don’t hesitate to share your thoughts in the comment box below.