Miracle-Gro AeroGarden Pod Kit for Herbs by AeroGrow
Aeroponics, also known as air culture, is one of the innovative ways of doing a soilless culture. Unlike other soilless gardening systems (hydroponics system, aquaponics, and in-vitro), aeroponics does not use any growing medium. It is designed to grow plants that are suspended in the air. Other people sometimes consider the best aeroponic system as another type of hydroponics due to the usage of water in the transmission of nutrients to the plants.
Hydroponics and aeroponics differ in the amount of water used in each system
Ideally, aeroponic setup requires specific tools and equipment similar to hydroponics like liquid nutrients, pH toolkit, and cloning machines. However, a lot of soilless gardening enthusiasts have designed some aeroponics DIY plans in building aeroponic systems. This makes it easier for beginners in soilless gardening to adopt the system easily without the hassle of looking for specific tools and equipment required to do aeroponics successfully. So, what are these simple DIY steps on how to make aeroponic systems? Let’s find out.
Aeroponics is also considered as another urban way of gardening
Simple Steps On How To Build Your Own Aeroponic System
Surely, lots of gardeners are going crazy about the emerging innovative ways of growing plants without the use of soil. What’s more exciting is that we can customize our very own aeroponic system with this simple aeroponic DIY plan. All you need to use are the following:
- Plastic storage bins
- PVC pipes
- Pumps and sprayers
- Seeds, cuttings, or pruned stems
The first thing to use is the plastic storage bins. You can recycle those that are old and worn out already. Any size will do, depending on the gardener’s preference. Dark containers are preferable since they help in protecting the light from penetrating inside the reservoir, which may cause algae production. However, if you have chosen light containers, you can just paint them with dark-colored paints.
Light storage bins should be painted to prevent light from penetrating inside.
Turn the plastic storage bin upside down. Around 2/3 up from the bottom, drill a hole on each side of the storage bin. Make sure that the holes are few millimeters smaller than the diameter of the PVC pipe. This will ensure that the PVC pipes fit into the hole.
Get each section of pipe and insert them through the holes. Do not forget to set the sprayers upwards. The number of sprayers to be used depends on the preference of the gardener.
Sprayers should be placed upwards to hit the roots directly with the nutrients.
Connect the adapter on one end of the PVC pipe. Its other end should be connected to the pump.
Fill the container with nutrients for aeroponics just below the sprayers.
The roots should not be submerged in the nutrient solution to avoid rotting. Source: howtogrowmarijuana.com
Create holes on the storage bin cover. This will be for the net pots. Then place your seeds, cuttings, or pruned stems.
Herbs, spices, vegetables, and root crops can be grown aeroponically.
Secure the lid cover. Observe your plants for few days. When there are already buds, move the aeroponic chamber to a spot where your plants can get enough sunshine but not the direct heat from the sun.
What Are Different Types of Aeroponics Systems?
There are two basic types of aeroponics. These are the low-pressure aeroponics (LPA) and the high-pressure aeroponics (HPA).
Low-Pressure Aeroponics (LPA)
The low-pressure aeroponics (LPA) is the more common type of aeroponic system. This can be easily made and are actually adopted by most soilless gardeners.
Leafy vegetables, spices, and herbs are best grown in an LPA system
LPA aeroponic systems run through the application of nutrients to the plant roots through mists. These mists are delivered at a low pressure with large droplets.
High-Pressure Aeroponics (HPA)
The high-pressure aeroponics (HPA) is another type of aeroponic system. This was invented by the scientists in the National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA). This aeroponic system is ideal for growing plants in the outer space.
Potatoes are effectively grown in a high-pressure aeroponic system
Unlike the LPA, HPA mists are delivered at a high pressure, generally around 120 PSI. The HPA system is also adopted in growing plants on Earth, and it was found out that this type of aeroponic system is more effective than the LPA system.
Reviews For The 5 Best Aeroponic Systems in 2018
Now that we already know the basic types of aeroponic systems, as well as some DIY steps in building your very own aeroponic system at home, it is time to talk about the five best aeroponic systems that are available in the market.
#1 Miracle-Gro AeroGarden Pod Kit for Herbs by AeroGrow
Miracle-Gro AeroGarden Pod Kit for Herbs by AeroGrow. Via:Amazon.com
This product is considered as one of the best aeroponic systems manufactured AeroGrow. It comes with a nine-pod herb seed kit, which includes Genovese basil, Thai basil curly parsley, Italian parsley, thyme, mint, chives dill, and 3 ounces of liquid plant food. It weighs 12.8 pounds with a dimension of 17.2 x 11.2 x 15 inches. It comes in black color.
- It comes with a 45-watt LED lighting to sustain and regulate the light and heat supply required for the plants to grow.
- Its LED lamp has an extendable lamp arm to adjust it easily based on the preference of the user.
- This product features an interactive touch screen control panel that tells the user when to add water and plant food. This also automatically turns the LED light on and off.
- It has 9 pods that can be planted with the herbs that are included in the product package.
- This is also ideal for fruits and vegetables like eggplants, strawberries, tomatoes, and more.
- Some buyers had complained that this product’s light does not work effectively.
- This product is a bit expensive.
#2 AeroGarden Herb Seed Pod Kit by AeroGrow
AeroGarden Herb Seed Pod Kit by AeroGrow. Via: Amazon.com
This aeroponic system is another best aeroponic system manufactured by AeroGrow. This product features an easy-to-use control panel that tells the user when its plants need nutrients. This item weighs 6.8 pounds with a dimension of 16 x 11 x 15 inches.
- This item features six planting spaces that enable the user to plant six different plants at the same time.
- It includes a 20-watt LED lighting system that supports that supports the plants’ photosynthesis.
- This also features a control panel that detects when the plants need patented nutrients already. This also automatically turns the light on and off when the plants need it.
- This includes 6-pod gourmet herb seed kit, which includes curly parsley, Genovese basil, dill, Thai basil, thyme, and mint, plus 3 ounces of patented nutrients.
- This is also ideal for fruits, vegetables, and flowering plants.
- This product is affordable as compared to other similar items.
- This item’s air pump is not of high-quality.
- Its motor has less power as compared to other similar products.
#3 AeroGarden Harvest Herb Seed Pod Kit by AeroGrow
AeroGarden Harvest Herb Seed Pod Kit by AeroGrow. Via:Amazon.com
This aeroponic system is another product manufactured by AeroGrow. This product is featured in four different colors – black, red, teal, and white. This also features an LCD screen that detects if the plants already need more water and patented nutrients. It weighs 4 pounds with a dimension of 11 x 5 x 13 inches.
- This features six planting pods that can be planted with different plants at the same time.
- It comes with a full spectrum 20-watt LED lighting system that sustains the needed light for the plants to grow healthily.
- This also comes with an LCD control panel that tells the user when to add water and patented nutrients. This control panel also turns the light on and off automatically whenever the plants need it.
- This product also features six-pod herb seed kit which includes Genovese basil, parsley, curly dill, Thai basil, thyme, and mint.
- This also comes with 3 ounces of patented nutrients enough for one full growing season.
- There is no manual included in the package.
- Some buyers had complained that the LCD screen’s timer is always behind one minute every time it is set.
- Some of the seed pods do not work effectively.
#4 Seed Starting System by AeroGrow
Seed Starting System by AeroGrow. Via: Amazon.com
This product is one of the most affordable aeroponic systems in the market, making it the best aeroponic system. It is manufactured by AeroGrow. It features 50 pods that can be planted with different plants as your desire. This item weighs 2.1 pounds with a dimension of 18.8 x 9.2 x 3.2 inches. It comes in black color.
- This product includes growing sponges that are made from Canadian Sphagnum Peat, which is effective in germinating any type of seeds.
- This comes with 50 planting pods that are ideal for small herbs and spices.
- This product includes 1 reusable durable plastic seed starter tray, 50 biodegradable grow sponges, 1 3-ounce bottle of plant food, and a manual.
- This can also be used to grow seedling of different fruits, vegetables, and flowering plants.
- It is very affordable.
- Seeds are not included in the package.
- The seed starting system with the LED lighting system and LCD control panel needs to be purchased separately.
- This product can only be shipped within the US.
- Some of the pods do not perfectly fit into the tray hole. Some just fall right through the holes.
- The tray is not of high-quality.
#5 Aerostar Pots by Platinium
Aerostar Pots by Platinium. Via: Amazon.com
This product is the best aeroponic system manufactured by Platinium. It features ten planting sites. This product weighs 15.8 pounds with a dimension of 36.5 x 17.7 x 14.7 inches, which ensure the user that only a small space can be utilized by this aeroponic system. This comes in a black color.
- This product is made of a high-quality recyclable plastic material, making it highly durable and environmentally friendly.
- This product includes a reservoir, tray, net pots, aero plates, 360 sprayers, tubing, neoprene inserts, pump, and an easy-to-access reservoir lid.
- The pots and aero plates included in this product feature an anti-UV barrier and anti-light, which prevents the reservoir from the penetration of light. This prevents the production of algae inside the reservoir, which is unhealthy for the plants.
- This item features a compact design to utilize only a small amount of space in the garden or inside the house.
- This product features an easy-to-access lid.
- This product is ideal for herbs, spices, fruits, vegetables, and flowering plants.
- This is ideal for both low-pressure and high-pressure aeroponic systems.
- This product is more expensive as compared to other similar products.
Aeroponics is basically ideal for gardeners who like to harvest their plants quickly. This is proven to develop and grow plants quickly and efficiently. Therefore, soilless gardeners prefer to have the best aeroponic systems that are available in the market. Others also prefer to have their home aeroponics kit customized and homemade.
For me, the best aeroponic system that can support my gardening needs is the Platinium Aerostar Pots with Aeroponic Tops. With this aeroponic system, I can grow ten different plants at the same time. This product also features a compact design, which is ideal for indoor gardening. Even though this one is a bit expensive, the quality of the product is all worth it.
Whatever way you would like to have your aeroponic system, homemade or purchased, always remember to take care of your plants so that they grow healthily and successfully. Always put into consideration the temperature of the nutrients solution, whether it’s too hot or cold for the plant roots, the pressure applied in delivering the mist, as well as the supply of light needed by your plants. Remember that growing plants aeroponically is also a way of supporting sustainable development.
In Factory-big farms, plants are grown inside the aeroponic growing unit. Source: theguardian.com
Thank you so much for spending time reading this article. I do hope you’ve learned a lot. Please share this with other gardening enthusiasts out there!
You might also like: