Best Riding Lawn Mower For Hills Reviews 2018 Edition!
Hilly terrains make it difficult to perform proper lawn maintenance. Find out the best riding lawn mower for hills, as well as the 5 best ones in the market.
Slopes and hilly terrains are quite the rage among landscapers and homeowners. While they do add personality and flair to a lawn, it’s not in the best interest of those who put lawn maintenance first before aesthetic. A hilly lawn can be ten, twenty times more difficult to maintain than a flat one.
MUST READ: Top 3 Electric Lawn Mowers of 2018
One of the most common problems you may encounter would be mowing it uphill and downhill. Naturally, this is a job for a riding mower. Riding mowers provide the most convenience when mowing hilly lawns. Unfortunately, it doesn’t provide as much in terms of safety. In steeper slopes, you can potentially slip or tip over. There are two ways to increase your safety when riding a mower up and down a hilly lawn: (1) mow when the grass is dry, and the weather is fine, and (2) get the best riding lawn mower for hills to do the job.
2018’s 5 Best Riding Lawn Mower For Hills
Without further ado, here are our picks for 2018’s five best riding lawn mower for hills.
Husqvarna: 967324101 V-Twin 724 cc Zero Turn Mower
Types Of Riding Mowers
The best riding lawn mower for hills for one lawn owner may not be the best for another. Knowing the three main types of riding mowers is a crucial step in getting one for yourself. Bear in mind that each riding mower type has its own specifications. Find out more about the three main types of riding mowers in this section.
Riding Lawn Mower Safety Tips
Riding lawn mowers can be quite challenging, especially when you’re driving it up and down hilly terrains. Here are some tips that you need to follow before and during lawn mowing operations to ensure safety and the most enjoyable riding lawn mower experience possible.
- Wear the appropriate clothes and safety gear to avoid injuries when handling blades and other sharp mower components.
- Get rid of any lawn obstacles or debris to ensure a smooth operation. Make sure your lawn is also clear of people and pets.
- Different riding lawn mower brands each come with their own instruction manual and components. It’s very important that you read the given instruction manual and familiarize yourself with the components of the machine before powering it up. This simple trick will save you a lot of trouble in the future.
- Do not disable safety devices and features that came with the mower.
- Familiarize yourself with the safety features of the machine. This may be in the form of a rollover protective structure or ROPS, an advanced motion-sensor control panel among many others.
- Make sure that the mower’s brakes are functioning properly. Don’t power the mower if you don’t know how to stop the machine in case of emergency.
- Inspect your riding lawn mower for damaged components or loose belts.
- For gasoline-type riding lawn mowers, you should only fill up your tank when the engine is cool enough. Should you need to refuel in the middle of mowing, turn the machine off and allow some time for the engine to cool.
- Never light a match or smoke near your tractor as gasoline is highly flammable.
- Only power up your machine once you’re in the driver’s seat. Remember that it’s a one-seater vehicle, so you should never carry any passenger with you.
- Keep both feet inside the riding lawn mower at all times during the process.
- Keep an average ground speed and don’t go too fast when making turns. When in doubt, keep them gradual and wide.
- Remove grass deposits and excessive grease to reduce fire hazard.
- Make sure the machine is completely turned off before getting down from it.
Operating On Terrains
Use utmost caution when mowing on hilly terrains. You want to steer clear of accidents such as tipping over and getting run over by your riding mower.
- Follow the slopes up and down and never across.
- You must avoid hasty starts, turns, or stops.
- Always slow down when going around sharp corners or down slopes.
All of these riding mowers perform well with their respective features. While riding lawn mowers don’t exactly offer much safety when it comes to running on hills, we found that the Cub Cadet: XT1 Enduro Series Kohler Hydrostatic Gas Front-Engine Riding Mower offers the most in terms of value and engineering. Of course, we’re entitled to our own opinions of these outdoor power equipment. What works well for one may not be the best for another. However, we sure hope that these pros and cons help you decide which riding lawn mower to choose.
Best Lawn Tractor For Hills 2018: Product Reviews & Buyer’s Guide
Know the pros and cons of the 5 best lawn tractors of 2018 and choose your own best lawn tractor for an efficient, clean, and picture-perfect hilly lawn.