Check Out Our Best Choice Below!
Among the best HPS grow lights on our review today, our top choice is the Eye Hortilux 1000w HPS Grow Light Bulb.
We highly recommend this product because it is efficient, reliable, and even EPA and TCLP certified, making it a non-hazardous product. This is one of the go-to options for most indoor gardeners. No matter what you’re trying to grow, this can be the best HPS grow light for flowering. Getting the best HPS bulbs are important.
HPS grow light bulbs are needed for indoor gardening in greenhouses to help plants grow healthily. It is also the best grow lights for growing plants.
Table Comparison: Top Rated HPS Grow Lights 2018
With a lot of products on the market today, choosing the best quality light bulbs can be a bit of a headache. To help you out, here is a quick comparison of the top 5 best HPS grow lights that give you the best bang for your buck!
Why Is EyeHortilux HX66785 Our Best Choice?
HPS or high-pressure sodium light bulbs have long been used by gardeners both indoors and outdoors. In the planting farm industry, HPS light bulbs are essential to have consistent, healthy, and predictable growth results. We recommend the Eye Hortilux 1000 Watt HPS Grow Light because of these following key features:
The company Eye Hortilux has ensured their HPS grow lights to be environment-friendly. This product has passed EPA and TCLP criteria for being a non-hazardous waste. It is lead-free and contains fewer mercury levels than other bulbs. You do not have to worry about harming the environment while growing.
Last Longer than Other Bulbs
This Eye Hortilux 1000 watt light bulb has been tested and proven before packing to ensure the best quality. It also lasts longer than other HPS light bulbs. This makes you save more money and time since you do not need to replace your bulbs every single cycle.
Provides Vigorous Growth
This product has been proven to give growers vigorous growth because of the patented technology of the light bulb. It yields 17% more total energy and 25% more than green, blue, or violet spectrum light bulbs.
Among all the products on the list, Eye Hortilux bulb is proven for more than a decade; thus, its efficacy is unbeatable. However, this product is best for experienced growers as compared to starters.
Top 5 Best HPS Grow Lights Reviews 2018
Now let’s get into the top 5 HPS grow lights for flowering. To help you save time, we laid down the best light bulbs for growing to boost your growth in a shorter span of time. If you’re a rookie looking for the best products or a farmer looking for a replacement, this HPS light bulb review is for you.
Eye Hortilux 1000 Watt HPS Grow Light. Via: Amazon.com
Naturally, the Eye Hortilux tops the list since it is our top choice. Aside from the key features mentioned beforehand, this product packs a lot of benefits. This 1000 watt HPS grow light bulb is patented with their exclusive Eye Hortilux Spectrum that provides all growers with a lot of perks. The product helps you have bigger and fuller flowers without diminishing its growth consistency over several cycles.
Also, it may seem the most expensive on the list, but the advantage of changing your HPS bulb less frequently provides you with fewer purchases and changes, thus giving you more savings. This product weighs approximately 12.8 ounces.
- It has long been recommended and used by successful professionals and big industries to produce the best quality plants.
- The bulb exceeds longevity standards as compared to average HPS light bulbs.
- The product may last more than a year but replacing every 6 months is highly suggested.
- The light bulb’s light spectrum gives fuller and bigger flowers after a few days of installation.
- This is a pretty much straightforward product, and installation is fairly easy.
- The bulbs are color corrected to work best for indoor gardening.
- Some may find the product a bit pricey.
- There has been a lot of issue about receiving defective bulbs from different resellers. So, make sure your seller provides warranty for easy replacement.
Apollo Horticulture 600 Watt HPS Light Bulb. Via: Amazon.com
Another top product on our list is the Apollo Horticulture 600 Watt HPS Grow Light. It has an E39 base, which is compatible with several magnetic and electronic ballasts with 87,000 lumens. It weighs approximately 10.4 ounces. Apollo Horticulture is famous for having a good yield in growth consistency with a very affordable price.
This 600 watt HPS grow light bulb has a 2000k red-orange spectrum, which stimulates a lot of flower growth and enhances fruiting. In addition, it has an expected bulb life of 24,000 hours or 2 years with a 110 voltage. You have to wait for 3-5 minutes for the full warmup. Also, it is best to wait for 5 minutes after turning it off before striking it on power again.
- For anyone on a budget but still wants a good growth yield, this product is your best choice.
- The bulb reaches it maximum lumens in just 2 minutes.
- Best choice for plants that prefer to grow better under orange light spectrum.
- Results from first use do not fade fast and can last 2-3 growth cycles.
- You can easily put up this product without too much hassle.
- This 600 watt grow light bulb overheats fast and requires a decent vent.
- The product performs best for small-sized gardens only.
- Replacement is needed more often contrary to its promised advertisements.
iPower 600 Watt HPS Grow Light Bulb. Via: Amazon.com
Another great light bulb for growing is from iPower. Its 600-watt HPS light bulb can reach a maximum lumen output of 87,000 lumens. The bulb produces its light through the sodium oxide inside the filament. Its red and orange light spectrum combined with the high PAR is good for growing and producing fuller flowers in no time.
It has a longevity period of 32,000 hours or 3 years. Also, the HPS bulbs have been improved by the company to maintain a 90% lumen after initial usage (after 3,600 hours of running). It weighs approximately 7.8 ounces.
- With a mid-range price point, it outperforms HPS bulbs that are advertised budget-friendly.
- The unique light spectrum of the bulb gives off greener vegetation.
- Depending on the size of your garden, its yield can last for 7 months to a year.
- The HPS bulbs can still perform well even after 3 growth cycles.
- It can actually be a great choice for aquatic horticulture.
- It might not be the best choice for beds larger than 2×2 or 3×3.
- Fingerprint stains easily which may decrease lumen output. Make sure to wear protective gloves or cloth.
- The product leaks too much air, which needs a lot of vents.
Ultra Sun 400 Watt HPS Light Bulb. Via: Amazon.com
Being the only 400 watt HPS grow light bulb, this comes as the most affordable on the list. This Ultra Sun product is specifically designed to help during the fruiting and flowering stages of your plants. It has a Kelvin temperature of 2000K. Also, this can be a good light source for maintaining full term plants.
The Ultra Sun 400 Watt HPS Light Bulb is one of the best HPS light bulbs on the market due to its great quality and affordability at the same time. The product weighs approximately 7.2 ounces.
- This HPS light bulb is the best choice for small garden since it will not damage any of your plants.
- This 400 watt hps grow light bulb is good replacements for regular grow bulbs on the market.
- During grow stages of your plants, this product is the best buy for your money.
- The product is easy to install.
- With the price point, it is good for farmers who are still starting small and mastering different spectrums, wattage, and lumens.
- The bulb may reduce its performance after 2 weeks of vigorous use.
- The surface also scratches really fast as compared to other HPS bulbs.
Plantmax 1000 Watt HPS Light Bulb. Via: Amazon.com
The 5th best HPS grow light is a contender for 1000w HPS grow light from Plantmax. From all the 1000w category on the list, this is by far the most affordable product out there. Despite being in a lower price range, it will not disappoint in terms of performance.
This 1000w light bulb has an initial lumen output of 140,000 lumens and a maximum lifespan of 24,000 hours or 2 years. The spectrum offered in this product is 2,000K. In addition, it has passed the ANSI standards.
- This is a great choice for first-timers with big farms or garden beds.
- Gives good growth yield with its mid-yellow tone light, which mimics the sun’s ray.
- Maximum performance for the bulb lasts for a year, but it’s best to change every 6 months, which is still a money saver.
- The product can sustain 2-3 growth cycles.
- For smaller gardens, the bulb can last a long time and last for years.
- Plantmax 1000 watts light bulb overheats fast and may turn blue by then.
- There have been reports of smoking after vigorous use within a week.
Buying the Best HPS Grow Lights for Your Garden
If you are new to purchasing a light bulb for growing, HPS bulbs can be your next friend. However, as a starter, it can get confusing on which kind should you purchase. To help you out, here’s a quick buying guide and a few FAQs for you.
HPS grow lights are set up in a certain distance away from the plants themselves
Are HPS bulbs worth it?
If you are trying to grow plants indoors, mimicking the sun’s light and energy is best done by HPS bulbs, which is considered as the best light bulb to grow plants and herbs. It gives consistent and predictable growth yield as compared to normal light bulb.
Wattage is essential.
HPS bulbs can range from 150-1000 watts. To get the best results, here is a quick guideline to follow:
- 150w bulbs don’t get hot easily and are only best for 1.5’x1.5’ bed area;
- 250w bulbs may get hot significantly, thus needing ventilation and are only best for 2.5’x2.5’ bed area;
- 400w bulbs are best for getting productive rather than maintaining and are best for 3.5’x3.5’ bed area;
- 600w bulbs have the least relative waste and are best for 4.5’x4.5’ bed area;
- Lastly, 1000w bulbs are the most productive but the most expensive and best for 6’x6’ bed area.
A ballast is very important.
Without a ballast for your HPS bulb, you may increase rates of explosion and damage. Ballasts help power up your bulbs and regulate the voltage and energy at optimal frequencies.
Should I entertain spectrum output?
Absolutely, it is highly important to know the spectrum output of your HPS light bulb. Depending on your plant, it requires a certain spectrum in order to grow healthy to your specific standards. By ignoring the spectrum output, you are technically wasting money and time by carelessly putting light bulbs randomly.
Dimmable LED light bulbs are also used in supporting growth in indoor gardening
Looking for the best light bulb for growing should not be a hassle now since we have provided you with the best HPS grow lights choices on the market today.
We hope that you find our recommended product a great buy for your money. Despite being the most expensive on the list, a lot of professionals are using the Eye Hortilux 1000 Watt HPS Grow Light Bulb in their industries. In addition, it is the only listed product to be proven as environment-friendly.
If you find this article helpful, you can freely share this with your family and friends!
best HPS light bulbs pin it