Stihl is a trusted brand in the chainsaw industry.
The Stihl Chainsaw Company has been making their mark in the chainsaw industry since the 1960s. Today, they are one of the leading and sought-after brands on the chainsaw market. Stihl offers a variety of chainsaws that can meet anyone’s needs, from simple saws to professional chainsaws and in this Stihl chainsaw review, you will learn about the top 5 Stihl chainsaw models on the market today.
Like any typical chainsaw, Stihl chainsaws have two main components, namely the guide bar and the engine. The guide bar is the length of the chainsaw which determines the size of the log that it can cut through. The engine is the one that provides the chainsaw its power.
Top 3 Best Husqvarna Chainsaw Ever Made
Husqvarna 450 18-Inch 50.2cc X-Torq 2-Cycle Gas Powered Chain Saw With Smart Start
Husqvarna 455 Rancher 20-Inch 55-1/2cc 2-Stroke Gas-Powered Chain Saw
Husqvarna 460 24-Inch Rancher Chain Saw 60cc 966048324
Here are the three engine types in most Stihl chainsaws:
1. Gas-Powered Engine
This type of chainsaw is the most powerful. Hence, many professional arborists prefer this engine type. While gas-powered engine can handle heavy-duty jobs, this type of chainsaw is noisy and emit carbon dioxide, which is harmful to the environment.
A gas-powered chainsaw is used for heavy-duty jobs.
2. Electric-Powered Engine
The electric-powered engine requires a constant supply of energy from a power source. This makes them less portable than the gas or the battery types. However, these chainsaw types are low maintenance and are less noisy as compared to the gas type engine.
An electric-powered chainsaw lodged on lumber.
3. Battery-Powered Engine
This chainsaw type runs on battery. Hence, the amount of power that it produces is not as much as compared to the gas or electric types. They are best used by beginner chainsaw users, and they can only handle pruning and trimming small branches. So, if looking for the best Stihl chainsaw for cutting firewood, the battery-powered types might not be the best choice.
Li-ion battery backpack powered chainsaw, the brand name is uncertain.
5 Recommended Stihl Chainsaw Models
To narrow down your choice, let us focus on the top 5 Stihl chainsaw for cutting firewood. The following Stihl models are listed in no particular order.
1. Stihl MS 251 C-BE
The STIHL MS 251 C-BE is a top-rated Stihl chainsaw and is one of best Stihl chainsaws for home use and commercial use. Not only is it powerful and fuel-efficient, but it also produces 50% fewer emissions as compared to its previous models. Therefore, it makes a lesser impact on air pollution. That is why it is also the best Stihl chainsaw for cutting firewood on the daily basis. This model has a gas-powered engine power of 2.2 kW, a guide bar length of 40 to 45 cm, a powerhead weight of 5.3 kg, and a fuel capacity of 390 cc.
2. Stihl MS 251 Wood Boss
As the name suggests, you can already tell that it is one of the top-rated Stihl chainsaws. It has, more or less, similar features and specifications with the MS 251 C-BE; the only difference is that the STIHL MS 251 WOOD BOSS has a powerhead weight of only 4.9 kg.
3. Stihl MS 170
The Stihl MS 170 model offers the best price for Stihl chainsaw. Although not as powerful as the first two chainsaws, the Stihl MS 170 still packs enough power to get any cutting job done. It still one of the best Stihl chainsaws for home use, as well as being the best all-around Stihl chainsaw. The Stihl MS 170 has a gas-powered engine of 1.3 kW, a guide bar length of 30 to 40 cm, a powerhead weight of 3.9 kg, and a fuel capacity of 250cc.
4. Stihl MS 180 C-BE
The Stihl MS 180 C-BE is an easy-to-use, compact, and powerful chainsaw. No wonder that it is still a popular model among buyers. It features a Zoom Intellicarb compensating Carburetor and a quick chain adjuster. It has a gas-powered engine of 1.5 kW, a guide bar length of 30 to 40 cm, a powerhead weight of 4.2 kg, and a fuel capacity of 250cc. It is a more powerful chainsaw as compared to the MS 170.
5. Stihl MS 211 C-BE
The Stihl MS 211 C-BE is also considered as one of the best Stihl chainsaws for the money since it features the advanced low-emission engine technology at a lesser price. The Stihl MS 211 C-BE has a gas-powered engine of 1.7 kW, a guide bar length of 30 to 45 cm, a powerhead weight of 4.6 kg, and a fuel capacity of 280cc. Clearly, it is more powerful than both the MS 180 C-BE and MS170, so you can consider this model as one of the best Stihl chainsaws (for cutting firewood).
Stihl chainsaws are also popular in home use.
Stihl Chainsaw – The Buying Guide
If you are still indecisive after reading our quick Stihl chainsaw reviews above, here’s an easy guide to help you find the best Stihl chainsaw ever made for your needs. You can refer to these corresponding symbols:
- C = stands for Comfort feature
- B = stands for Quick Chain Adjuster
- E = stands for Easy2Start
- Q = stands for an additional chain braking feature
When you look at your Stihl MS 180 C-BE, you will know that these compact, gas-powered chainsaws are comfortable to handle, feature a quick chain adjuster and are easy to start.
What are Great Features of Stihl Chainsaw
Homeowners looking for the right chainsaw to help them do the job will never go wrong with any of the Stihl chainsaws on the market today. Be it a Stihl battery chainsaw, electric chainsaw or gas-powered chainsaw, anyone will find the best tool to match the job. If you are one of these homeowners, however, you have to remember that battery and electric chainsaws are not as powerful as gas chainsaws. They will not be as portable as well. The Stihl electric chainsaw, for instance, will require a power outlet and is ideal for light, household use only.
Regardless of the type of Stihl chainsaw you get, they all have the same safety features and other great features typically found in Stihl products. Among the most popular features of great Stihl chainsaws are the Stihl Quickstop Chain Brake System, designed to stop the chain in less than second when needed; the Front Hand Guard, engineered to reduce risks of injury; Master Control Lever, a single lever that operates the choke, starting throttle lock and on-off switch; noise reduction as well as vibration reduction system, and High-Tech polymer housings that make each unit light, impact- and corrosion-resistant.
No matter what your choice will be, you can’t go wrong with Stihl chainsaws; you are sure to get the best model for your needs. You can start checking online now or visit the authorized Stihl dealer near you for the latest Stihl Chainsaw prices.
Husqvarna and Stihl are usually the top choices of most professional arborists.
Stihl Vs. Husqvarna
Loggers are equally split when asked which chainsaw is best: Stihl or Husqvarna? However, if you are to compare the two brands, they, more or less, produce the same quality and reliable model. The choice only comes down to personal preference. That is why the best thing to do is to get your own feelings from the two brands.
However, if you are concerned about the emissions that the machines have, it is good to know that there has been a study conducted by the Health and Safety Laboratory about the emissions of the two chainsaw brands. (Read the study here). It turns out that the Stihl chainsaw emissions are distinguishably lower than those of Husqvarna brands. So in terms of environment-friendly feature, the answer to the question “Which chainsaw is best: Stihl or Husqvarna?” is no doubt the Stihl chainsaw.
Chainsaw Safety Guide
Chainsaws are a very dangerous power tool. Hence, it is necessary to be aware of these safety measures to avoid accidents while using the tool.
- The first rule in safe chainsaw usage is to be ALERT. Never operate the machine unless you are in the best condition to do so. Operating a chainsaw when you’re not feeling your best may cause you to be unobservant or get sleepy. If that happens, accidents will most likely happen.
- Make sure that you are wearing the necessary safety gear when operating your chainsaw, wear them all. Opting to not wear safety gear will leave a part of your body exposed to possible cuts if untoward accidents happen. Safety gear includes Hard Hats to protect your head from tree limbs that may fall off the tree while you’re operating your chainsaw; Eye and Face Protection; Hand Protection, such as non-slip gloves, and Leg and Foot Protection, such as heavy-duty steel-toe work shoes and protective chaps. Also, wear clothing that will not get tangled in the machine. Power tools like chainsaws can help make our lives easier, but they need to be used with utmost care or they can cause serious injuries to their users.
- Before using your Stihl chainsaw, check to ensure that the bolts fit snugly and there are no loose or missing parts. If there are, contact your authorized Stihl chainsaw parts dealer and service provider for help before you proceed. You will also have to check the air filter before you begin to see if it’s clean. If it’s not, clean the air filter according to the instruction manual. Furthermore, make sure that the chain tension is just right, and the chain is also properly lubricated.
- When refueling, make sure that you are 10 feet away from any flammable sources and allow the engine of the machine to cool down before refueling. Do not overfill the fuel tank and avoid spilling the fuel.
- When starting your chainsaw for the first time, especially if you have never used any type of chainsaw before, make sure you have read the instruction manual as it is crucial that you understand how each part in the engine work, such as where to position the master control lever before you start the saw and how to properly start it. Otherwise, you will risk flooding the engine, damaging your equipment, or seriously hurting yourself.
Never transport the machine while it’s still running. Shut it off before you move to another area or before you put it down. When transporting in your vehicle, do not just place it on the seats, make sure that it is placed into its protective case.
Lastly, you will want to ensure that your chainsaw is well maintained and stored properly when not in use.
To know more, Click here to read the full Chainsaw Safety Policy of the University of Florida.
Wearing the recommended safety gear minimizes the risks of accidents.
Final Review of the Best Stihl Chainsaw
So, what’s the best Stihl chainsaw for you? Your final decision for choosing the best Stihl chainsaw should be centered on your needs. If you want the most inexpensive chainsaw, then go for the best Stihl chainsaw for the money (Stihl MS 211 C-BE) that we recommend above. Remember, the best Stihl chainsaw for the money is not a matter of which model is the cheapest. It’s all about which model offers more with regards to its price. In other words, you need to weigh its price against its performance.
If you’re looking for a professional grade chainsaw other than the Stihl models, then check out our review for thebest professional chainsaw. Also, check out our top recommendations for thebest chainsaw sharpener!
Thanks for dropping by! Hopefully, you found this article informative and useful in your search for the best Stihl chainsaw for cutting firewood.
You may also read:
- Best Chainsaw For Milling | Plus, How To Score The Best Unit For Milling!
- Best Chainsaw For Cutting Firewood With Two-Stroke Engine Reviews!