Best Splitting Wedge Reviews 2017 That We Highly Recommend
Are you preparing for the cold winter days? Read this article and learn about the best splitting wedge in town that would definitely help you in cutting firewood.
A lot of people nowadays are already choosing the innovative way to stay warm during the winter days. Several people have preferred to purchase heaters that are installed in the different parts of the house as a preparation for the cold winter days. However, despite the rise of the new technology in the 21st century, there are still some people who prefer to fold their sleeves up and cut woods using their handy tool – an axe.
Axe is a traditional tool used for splitting and chopping woods into small pieces. These chopped woods are usually used as firewood for the fireplace during cold days. However, even if axes are used for splitting large pieces of woods into small bits, there are still woods that cannot be chopped using an axe. This calls for assistance from another handy tool called the splitting wedge.
A splitting wedge, or sometimes called as wedge splitter or simply wedge, is a triangle-shaped device inserted into the cracks of large woods to chop it into the desired sizes. Others may use a professional chainsaw or a folding saw in cutting woods, but the perfect tool for cutting firewood and splitting logs is an axe that is supported with splitting wedges for chopping large woods.
In the present times, wood chopping devices like splitting wedges are already available in all hardware stores. But what is the best splitting wedge out in the market? Let’s find out.
Top 5 Best Splitting Wedges with Reviews
There are lots of splitting wedges available in the market today. Hardware stores offer a wide selection of splitting wedges. These come in different sizes, prices, and materials. Even though they are considered as the best ones in the market, always consider having a peek on its quality of materials, sizes, as well as in the price. To help you with this, here are the reviews of the five best splitting wedges on our list:
This product is an Estwing splitting wedge. This offers an easy start for log splitting with its fast taper head. This item weighs 5 pounds with a dimension of 8.9 x 2.5 x 1.8 inches. It comes in a blue color.
- This splitting wedge has 1 and 7/8 inches cutting edge.
- This features fins that enable the user to chop logs quickly and easily.
- Its head is designed with a fast tape so that it can stand alone on the top of the wood without anyone holding it. It makes the chopping job faster and easier.
- This product is made in the USA.
- This splitting wedge is ideal for hardwoods like oak.
- It works great with any sledgehammer or axe.
- It is guaranteed to split logs all the way down.
- This product is made of soft steel, the very reason why when it is hammered it produces curls which may send chips of steels when chopping.
- This splitting wedge has a tendency to bounce out of the wood if it is improperly positioned.
This product is a diamond splitting wedge manufactured by Truper Garden Tool. This is specially designed to split woods in different directions at the same time. This weighs 4 pounds with a dimension of 7 x 3 x 3 inches. It comes in a black color.
- This splitting wedge is designed into a diamond-shaped one which can split woods in different directions in just one hit of an axe or a sledgehammer.
- This product is heat treated and is made of high carbon steel.
- It is ideal for any type of hardwood like black cherries, oak, and the like.
- It is great to be paired with any axe or sledgehammer.
- This product also features some teeth design on its side to grip into the wood. This helps the tool to keep in place while doing the chopping duties.
- The tip can be easily bent if it is hammered with too much force.
- The teeth on its sides sometimes cannot grip onto the wood, making the splitting wedge move from the desired place when it is being hit by an axe or a sledgehammer.
This product is the best splitting wedge manufactured by Ludell Tools. This product is made of high-quality steel that assures the customers with its durability. This item weighs 5 pounds with a dimension of 8.5 x 2 x 1.9 inches. It comes in a black color with a silver-colored tip.
- This product is made of high-grade steel, making it very durable.
- This is ideal for chopping any types of wood.
- This works great with large axes and sledgehammers.
- This can chop any types and sizes of wood.
- This splitting wedge doesn’t need any sharpening.
- This can only be shipped within the United States and to some selected countries.
- This product is more expensive as compared to other similar products.
- You have to hold this splitting wedge at the first hit of the sledgehammer or axe.
This item is the best splitting wedge manufactured by Ames True Temper. This product can split woods in four directions in every hit. This item weighs 4 pounds with a dimension of 3 x 3 x 7.25 inches. It comes in a red color.
- This product is perfect for those who are aiming to split woods in four directions in every hit. This can distribute the force on every pointed corner of the head of the wedge.
- This can split large woods quickly and easily.
- This is made of high-quality steel materials.
- This is ideal for any type of hardwoods including oak trees.
- This works great with any sizes and types of sledgehammers and axes.
- This features teeth edges on its sides, which help the tool to hold onto the wood during log splitting.
- This is a bit expensive as compared to other similar products.
- The tip of this splitting wedge can easily break off if it is overused.
This product is another diamond splitting wedge. This is manufactured by the Redneck Convent. This splitting wedge is designed to split in 4 directions easily and efficiently. This weighs 3.9 pounds with a dimension of 3 x 3 x 7 inches. It also comes in a red color.
- This splitting wedge is made of high-quality steel. This ensures that this product is highly durable and can hold the strength of any sledgehammer or axe.
- This can chop any sizes and types of woods.
- This features teeth edges on its sides so that this tool can grip onto the wood during the chopping duties.
- It also features a uniquely pointed-tip that aids the user in hammering it down the wood.
- This featured a wide head, which makes it easier to be hit by an axe or a sledgehammer. This also gives more splitting power to the tool.
- Some buyers had complained that instead of splitting woods in four directions, this tool only splits wood in two directions.
How To Use Splitting Wedge Properly
Using a splitting wedge in chopping large pieces of wood may sound very simple, but actually, it’s not. You have to take precautionary measures in using this tool since it may impose danger if it is improperly used. So, what are the necessary steps to be followed in using a splitting wedge? Here’s how.
1. Place the large wood on a flat surface. Make sure that the wood is placed vertically and not horizontally. The reason for this is that the splitting job would be easier due to the downward direction of the strand of the wood. This is in accordance with the directions of the axe or the sledgehammer in hitting the wedge.
2. Place the splitting wedge on top of the wood. You may place it on any part of the top of the wood that you desire to chop first. Other people would prefer to insert it on the crack of the wood. Make sure that the pointed end should be placed onto the wood. There are some splitting wedges that feature tapes on the end. This makes the tool to stand alone without anyone holding it. However, other wedges still require holding it in the first chopping hit, letting it penetrate into the wood before releasing it from the grip of the hands.
3. Choose whether a maul, an ax, or a sledgehammer in hitting the splitting wedge all the way down. Large pieces of logs basically require large sledgehammers so that it can suffice the required strength for chopping it into small pieces.
Whatever purpose you may have in chopping woods, may it be for gathering firewood for your stoves or for your fireplace as a preparation for the cold winter days, always remember to take precautionary measures in using the splitting wedges. You may use protective eyeglasses in chopping the woods to prevent your eyes from the wood chips that may fly all over the place. You also have to wear gloves to prevent your hands from getting hurt in chopping the logs.
Useful Tips in Using a Splitting Wedge
Avoid using the splitting wedge in wet woods. As much as possible, avoid splitting logs into slippery, wet, icy, or muddy areas.
Make sure that the wood to be chopped is placed on a flat surface when the splitting wedge is in use. This prevents the wood splitter from bouncing when it is being hit by a sledgehammer.
Always consider the visibility of the surroundings when using a wedge splitter in chopping woods. This greatly helps in preventing any accidents like injuring your hand while chopping the wood, or being hit by flying wood chips while hitting the log.
Always remove the chopped wood right after it is done. This prevents any of the chopped woods from flying or bouncing while continuing your chopping duties. Chopped woods may also cause accidents like tripping over it.
There are plenty of splitting wedges that are available on the market. Make sure that the one you purchase meets all your wood chopping desires. If you want to chop woods in only one direction, choose the one-way splitting wedge. If you desire to chop woods splitting it into several directions in just one application, then buy a diamond or a twisted splitting wedge.
In buying a splitting wedge, also take into consideration the brand of the wedge. You may choose one from Estwing, Truper Garden, Ames, Ludell Tools, or from Redneck Convent. You may also purchase a Fiskars splitting wedge. Familiarize yourself with the brands that already have a good name in the logging industry.
Lastly, always mind the quality of the splitting wedge. Identify first if it is made of high-quality steel or just ordinary soft steel. Always make the quality the top priority when buying a splitting wedge.
As for me, I highly recommend the Ludell Tools 11605 5lb High-Grade Steel Splitting Wedge. It is made of high-quality steel material, which ensures the durability of the tool. Even if it is a bit expensive as compared to other similar products, it is still worthy of the cost. This splitting wedge can be hit with any size of sledgehammers without damaging it. This can also chop any types of woods.
What about you? What is your best splitting wedge among the five presented products? Choose one among the five best splitting wedges and experience chopping woods easily and efficiently.
That’s it! Thank you so much for reading this article and please do share this with your friends who are also preparing for the cold winter days.