A rain barrel is a container that is used to collect the rainwater during heavy rain in order to put them to use like watering the plants. It happens to be one of the most useful and practical tools that you can use in your garden, especially in areas where water resources are not that abundant.
Of course, there are different types of rain barrels that you can choose from, but the best rain barrel to buy will all depend on your personal preferences. Before you purchase the best rain barrel for your garden, it’s crucial to know what to look for in a rain barrel so that regrets and dissatisfaction will be avoided.
How A Rain Barrel Works
Rain barrels usually have a huge hole on the top of the barrel where the water would go in. Whenever it rains, the rainwater would travel the downspout which would then fill up the barrel. After that, the water will stay in the barrel and is ready to use. Usually, barrels have a part that allows you to easily connect it to a hose. Hence, it would be easier for you to connect the garden hose and water your plants. There are even some barrels that can be linked to other water containers so that the water can be distributed easily. Moreover, some barrels can be connected to the sprinkler system so that the stored water can be used for watering the plants using the water sprinkler. In general, purchasing a rain barrel could save you a lot of money on water bills.
Factors To Consider When Buying The Best Rain Barrel
Just like most of the gardening tools such as drop spreaders and broadcast spreaders, rain barrels also have a list of qualities and features that you need to consider to guarantee that you’ve got the best one.
The material of the rain barrel is a vital feature to check. The best rain barrel to buy is one with durable and sturdy structure. In fact, the material used will also determine how efficient the barrel is in conserving the water. In the olden times, most rain barrels are made from wood, but nowadays, rain barrels are made from high-quality industrial plastic. In terms of durability, industrial plastic proves to be more damage resistance as compared to the ones made from wood. Over time, the wood materials will deteriorate and grow molds due to moisture issues. In worst cases, woods could even be a breeding material for some insects.
Therefore, the best rain barrels are those made from high-grade industrial plastics. These plastics also don’t attract any insects to breed inside. They’re also resistant to most elements which would make them more durable than wood. If you’re looking for a good rain barrel that can withstand harsh conditions, then it is highly suggested that you use a plastic one instead.
Safety And Hygiene
Most people think that rainwater is unhygienic because it may carry a lot of dirt or chemicals when it goes down into the barrel. Though this might be true, there are actually ways for you to collect rain water without it carrying any harmful substances. The best way to do this would be to simply make sure that the rain barrel collects water directly from the sky and does not drop anywhere else before falling into the barrel (e.g. the roof, windows, etc.).
When buying a rain barrel, you have to make sure that this type of issue is covered. If not, you may have to buy a water collection system to keep it clean as it goes into the barrel.
In addition, choose a rain barrel that allows garden hose attachment. Aside from being able to water your plants easily, the hose allows you to drain the water regularly in order to clean it. It’s always suggested to buy a garden hose with a reel whenever you get a rain barrel.
Presence Of An Overflow Valve
You have to make sure that your rain barrel has an overflow valve. While most older designs don’t have the overflow valves, pretty much all the newer models and the best rain barrels have this feature. For those who don’t know what overflow valves are, they are devices that regulate the flow of water once the water capacity of the barrel reaches a certain level of fullness. This device ensures that the rain barrel doesn’t overflow with water.
The design is very important when buying a rain barrel as it could cause accidents. Some rain barrel designs don’t have better friction or can’t support too much weight, which will then cause it to tip over and results in accidents. The best rain barrels for your garden are those with a flat back design. This design allows you to just put them against the wall, minimizing the possibility of it tipping over.
Price And Warranty
Lastly, you have to think about the price and the warranty of the rain barrel. Each brand would have its own price, and it’s up to you to decide on the budget that you’re going to set when you buy it. Of course, make sure that you are protected under warranty so that if there’s any defect, you may call for a replacement. Most rain barrels are quite similar to each other anyway, so you can buy the one that contains all the features that you are looking for and the most affordable one who doesn’t go over your budget. Do remember that the best rain barrels are not necessarily the most expensive ones; hence, base your purchase on the features and not solely on the price.
Benefits Of Using A Rain Barrel
Rain barrels are more than just a water container for water conservation purposes. To know more about its benefits, read the list below:
- It conserves water which is good for the environment.
- It saves you money on your water bill since you’re using less water from the metered pipe.
- Rainwater is good for the plants because it is free from chlorine and other chemicals.
- With a rain barrel, you won’t have to worry about droughts because you’ll have your own source of water in your house.
- It lessens the burden on the sewage system since the rainwater will be able to go straight to your rain barrel and not in the pipe drainage.
Top 5 Best Rain Barrels Reviews 2018
Enviro Rain Barrel is one of the best-designed rain barrels in the market. It has a very sleek and modern look that can fit right into any part of your house. It is a flat backed rain barrel that can easily be placed in any corner or wall without being a disturbance. It is also made from sturdy, heavy-duty polyethylene material with a powder coated steel screen.
- It can hold up to 55 gallons or 208 liters of water inside the barrel.
- It can still maintain its clean look because of the special plastic material used.
- It has a sleek back which minimizes the possibility of accidents.
- It has a powerful spigot that can accumulate more water.
- It has 3 spigot mounting areas.
- The spigot is not made out of brass, like what the product description mentions.
- The spigot is difficult to tighten.
If you are a fan of beautiful pottery, then this rain barrel probably has the most elegant design out there. What makes this product different is its design would be the feature wherein it can link more than one barrels with its two overflows. It also goes hand in hand with a rain barrel pump kit in order to pressurize the water.
- It has an elegant and vintage pottery design.
- It is durable since it is made out of roto-molded plastic.
- It is BPA-free.
- It has a durable brass spigot that is immune to corrosion.
- It has a dual overflow feature that allows it to link to other rain barrels and to make sure that the rain barrel does not overflow during hard rains.
- It can fit anywhere in your garden as a decoration.
- It is a little bit too light that it can be tipped over easily.
The Rain Wizard is a vintage looking barrel that resembles the oak material. What makes it unique from others is that it has a mesh or a filter that will prevent the bugs or large debris from getting in. With this, the water inside can be kept clean. It is also quite heavy which means it won’t easily tip over.
- It is said to have a capacity of 50 gallons.
- It looks like a beer barrel which makes it a really cool decoration.
- It has a flat back design which makes it good for placing at the corners.
- It is BPA-free and FDA approved.
- The mesh can keep out debris and bugs.
- It has a brass spigot.
- It does not rust or mold due to its high-quality plastic material.
- It only carries a little less than 50 gallons.
- It is quite expensive.
RTS’s 50-gallon rain barrel is able to hold a large amount of water that can be used for your garden. One incredible feature of this product is that its material is very sturdy and durable that it will not rot or break easily. It also has a flat back that allows you to place anywhere in your home. It also has a screen that can help prevent dirt and insects from getting inside. Furthermore, it comes with a barrel stand that you can put your barrel on so that the distance between the ground and the spigot will be greater.
- It has an authentic oak barrel like material that is very durable and has a long shelf life.
- It has a feature that enables it to be linked to other rain barrels.
- It can be laid on a barrel stand for creating a greater distance between the floor and the spigot (stand sold separately).
- It has a screen made of tough aluminum.
- It has a durable brass spigot.
- The spigot is very hard to install in the barrel.
- The overflow valve is quite unsteady and not very durable.
This urn style water barrel is probably one of the most beautiful looking ones out there. It is in the shape of a clay Greek urn that is quite unique. It is also a flat back design, which makes it easy to put against the wall. In addition, with a 65-gallon size, its water capacity exceeds the other rain barrels on this list.
- It is able to hold a total capacity of 65 gallons.
- It looks very beautiful and classy, which makes it the perfect garden decoration.
- It has a meshed screen to block off debris and insects from getting in.
- It has a flat back design.
- The outflow of water from the spigot is not very strong.
- It is one of the most expensive in the market.
When choosing the best rain barrels, there are a few things that you have to look into. These five features are the key things that you have to consider so that you will get your money’s worth. Out of the five rain barrels listed above, the Good Ideas Rain Wizard Rain Barrel is the best rain barrel because of the impressive features it offers to the buyers. It covers all the five key features on what to look for in a rain barrel. The only two cons would be that it does not exactly carry 50 gallons of water due to its shape. It also is quite expensive as compared to other brands. However, the price is definitely worth the buy.
If you enjoyed this article, share it with your friends. Thank you for reading!