Best Collapsible Hose 2017 For Your Garden: Top Rated 5 Product Reviews
Do you want to know what are the best collapsible hose products on the market? Check out our reviews along with some buying tips to guide you.
If you own lawn, you will need a convenient means of watering it. While a regular garden hose can do the job, it is actually heavy and can easily tangle. To make things a lot easier, collapsible hoses were invented.
A collapsible water hose is a lightweight and compact hose that allows you to reach every corner of your lawn. In this article, we are going to review the best collapsible hose products on the market and provide you a guide in choosing which garden hose to buy.
Best Collapsible Hoses 2017 Reviews
To help you decide which product to buy, we have reviewed some of the best collapsible hose products on the market. Let’s take a look at the list!
The LawnPro garden hose from LawnTec is made from durable non-seamed woven 5000 Denier material, making it extremely tough and durable. It also comes with copper fittings and steel clamps for added durability. The hose can expand up to 50 feet but can shrink down to only 20 inches when not in use.
- It weighs only 2.3 pounds, making it extremely lightweight and compact.
- The LawnPro’s outer material is made from 5000 denier wrap, which is regarded as one of the strongest fabrics on the market.
- It features a kink-resistant design, which doesn’t kink when filled with water.
- Some buyers claimed that the hose might not expand to its full length.
The 50 ft. expanding garden hose by Joey’s Garden is a product that’s made to withstand extreme temperatures and can last for years of regular use. The whole package includes an eight-way spray nozzle, hanger, and a carrying bag. Its eight-way spray nozzle is ideal for various watering needs and uses.
- It’s an extremely lightweight product at only 2.5 pounds. However, it is capable of withstanding water pressure of up to 115 PSI.
- It doesn’t kink or tangle and can fully extend to its full 50 feet length.
- The hose requires strong water pressure to expand. If you have a small garden, you might want to opt for another product.
The Hospaip expandable water hose is ideal for use in any watering task. It’s made from 3750D polyester fabric cover and has two layers of latex interior for added durability. You can use the hose not just for watering your garden but for washing your car as well. Moreover, it has a control knob that allows you the change water pressure whenever you want.
- The Hospaip water hose is made from high-quality materials for a highly durable and long-lasting product.
- It comes with a free 8-function spray nozzle to cater your different watering needs.
- Some complaints stated that it could only stretch up to 35-40ft, which is 10 ft short of what it should be.
A durable and lightweight product, the 50ft. garden hose by Gada is one of the best collapsible hose products that you can find. It comes with an 8-way spray nozzle, which produces varying water pressure for a variety of uses. Moreover, it doesn’t tangle or kink in any watering situation.
- It is highly versatile and ideal for watering flowers, cleaning your pets, or even washing your car.
- It comes with a durable and highly elastic outer tube, which is resistant to wear and tear.
- It’s very easy to store and weighs only 2.9 pounds.
- There have been some complaints regarding how the product only lasted for a few months and developed some holes and leaks with continuous usage.
This expandable hose by Decision4U is the only product on our list that expands to only 25 feet. This makes it the ideal choice for smaller gardens and for light watering tasks. It’s extremely lightweight and highly portable. Moreover, it’s made from premium 3750D fabric, making it durable and able to withstand heavy-duty use.
- It has a double latex core and 3750D fabric construction for a strong and durable garden hose.
- It’s perfect for smaller gardens and other variety of uses.
- At full length, it only expands to 25 feet. If you have a larger garden, you should opt for another product instead.
Why Should Buy The Best Collapsible Hose
A traditional garden hose is definitely a pain to use. Aside from the fact that it is heavy, it is also difficult to store. The only thing that makes them advantageous (in most cases) is their durability.
A collapsible garden hose, on the other hand, is the complete opposite. The best collapsible hose products in the market are extremely lightweight, portable, highly durable, easy to use, and virtually kink-resistant. They make chores such as watering your garden or washing your car a lot easier.
A typical water hose measuring 50 ft weighs approximately 7 pounds. Meanwhile, a 50 ft collapsible hose weighs only 2 pounds. Even though they are expandable, it doesn’t mean their length is limited. Most collapsible hoses on the market recently are usually available in lengths of 25, 50, 75, and 100 feet.
Industrial water hoses are really hard to move around when under pressure, especially if you are watering plants located on the corners of your garden. However, when using a collapsible hose, you’re only using less energy since they are a lot lighter and more flexible. In fact, even kids and the elderly can use one with ease. It also has an automatic drain feature, which drains all water inside once the water pressure stops.
Aside from their weight and ease of use, collapsible hoses are also easy to store. You can easily place them in your watering hose storage with minimal effort. You don’t even need a retractable water hose reel or hose reel cart just to put a collapsible hose in place. Simply roll it up and place it in your storage or another container when not in use. Lastly, most collapsible hoses now feature brass fittings, adding to their overall durability.
How Does A Collapsible Hose Works
A collapsible hose is composed of two layers: the outer material and the interior latex. The reason why collapsible hoses have latex as the interior is that latex is the only material capable of stretching up to 5x its size. Moreover, you won’t be needing an automatic hose winder to store this type of hose as it is a fold up hose, which you can just store in a bag.
The hose works once the water is turned on at one end and blocked on the other where the shut-off valve is located. As water gets blocked on one end, it will build pressure inside the hose, causing it to expand and allowing you to water your garden or perform any task you want.
Types Of Materials Used In A Collapsible Hose
Initially, collapsible hoses were lacking in durability so much that a lot of complaints were made regarding their use. However, the availability of newer, more durable materials along with the discovery of advanced construction techniques have significantly improved their durability and performance. Below are the materials you can find in a collapsible hose:
1. Latex Core
Latex is a natural liquid, which is derived from the sap of a rubber tree. Collapsible hoses usually use two to three layers of latex for their interior layer. This explains why they can easily expand and contract without producing leaks. Moreover, they have become extremely durable over time. A double-layered interior layer tends to be more flexible than a triple layered one. However, a triple layered core is capable of handling heavier water pressure and is more durable over time.
2. TPC Core
A TPC or thermoplastic copolyester is yet another core material used for collapsible hoses. It’s an extremely heat resistant and durable material. However, it is not as popular as latex mainly because it is a lot more expensive. Some people also claim that a TPC material tends to last only for a short period of time.
3. Nylon Outer Shell
The industry standard for a collapsible hose’s outer layer is nylon. This is because nylon contracts easily once the internal layer does. Moreover, it is known to be extremely durable and doesn’t wear out quickly with regular use. However, manufacturers tend to use different types of materials for their outer layers, which explains why durability will vary from one hose to another.
Buyer’s Guide: How To Look For The Best Collapsible Hose
The choice of a collapsible hose will depend on your own preferences. However, to help you decide on what is the best collapsible hose to buy, here are the features you need to consider:
1. The Length Of The Hose
Most homeowners tend to decide on a collapsible hose based on its length. For those who have a large area and want wider coverage, a hose which is capable of expanding up to 50, 75, or even 100 feet is a perfect choice. However, if you have a smaller garden, a 25 ft. hose is more than enough. Keep in mind that expandable hoses are capable of expanding up to 3x their base length. Make sure you check the base dry length along with the fully expanded length as well.
2. The Interior Width Of The Hose
The interior width, or diameter, of a collapsible hose usually measures around ½ or ¾ of an inch. If you need more pressure, a bigger diameter will do the job for you. Don’t forget to check a hose’s diameter on the product details and assess whether it suits your needs or not before buying.
3. The Materials Used
The materials used in creating different hose products vary from one manufacturer to another. Generally, a collapsible hose is composed of two layers of material. When buying a hose, you have to check the material used for the inner tube since this is the part where leaks or bursts occur. Latex is the most popular material used for the inner layer of a collapsible hose, not to mention it’s also one of the strongest materials out there.
4. The Shut-off Valve
A shut-off valve allows you to expand the hose with ease. It’s a common feature you can find in any collapsible hose, which is useful for keeping the hose in good shape even with continuous usage.
5. Included Add-ons
Most of the collapsible hose products come with a few add-ons included in the package. The most common add-ons you can find include an 8-way spray nozzle, hanger, and storage bags.
Now that you have an idea on which features to look for when looking for the best collapsible hose, here are some nifty tips you should consider when buying one:
- Even though collapsible hoses can withstand an excellent amount of water pressure, each of them has its own limit. If you plan to use a hose with a spray nozzle, it’s ideal to pick a product that has a burst pressure of more than 350 PSI.
- You also have to make sure that your preferred hose is flexible enough to allow you to move around the corners with ease. In addition, a flexible hose is a lot easier to store since you can just fold it up.
- Decide whether you want a double or triple layer latex core. Although some people believe that a triple layer latex core is a lot more durable than a double layer core, it also makes it less flexible. Moreover, each manufacturer has its own method of creating double and triple layer cores. Make sure you check for any info regarding their process. You might even be surprised to learn that a double layer latex core does its job really well.
Of the best collapsible hose products on the list, I highly recommend the Lawn Pro garden hose by LawnTec. Its durable and high-quality construction makes it an excellent collapsible hose for heavy-duty use. Moreover, it easily expands to 50 feet but shrinks down to just 20 inches after use, making it really easy to use and store.