Best Electric Chainsaw Chain Sharpener Reviews 2018: For Homeowners and Gardeners
Does your chainsaw bounce when you cut large woods? In this article, learn the best chainsaw chain sharpener that would end the bluntness of your chainsaw.
Having a folding saw at home is somehow very beneficial, especially when you are into beautifying your garden which may include trimming and pruning or camping into the woods that requires bush crafting. Even for cutting hardwood, a saw may always come to the rescue. However, a simple saw or folding saw cannot suffice the required strength to cut down the hardwoods fully. In cases like this, you need to have a professional chainsaw.
A chainsaw is a portable mechanical saw that has several teeth attached to a chain. This is ideal for logging since it is very powerful. However, in the long run, your chainsaw may no longer cleanly cut your logs. Even if your chainsaw brand is of high-quality (All around chainsaw for firewood), they can still be dull over time. If your chainsaw produces a crooked cut or when your chainsaw bounces while you are cutting, then that is a sign that your chainsaw chain is already dull and blunt. What should you do? Look for the best chainsaw chain sharpener.
Five Best Chainsaw Chain Sharpener Reviews
The ECSS Electric Chainsaw Sharpener is the best chainsaw chain sharpener manufactured by the Buffalo Tools. It weighs seven pounds with a dimension of 13.5 x 9.5 x 6.2 inches. It is featured in red color with a warranty of 90 days from the date of purchase.
- This chainsaw chain sharpener can be easily mounted on the bench or wall for easy access.
- This can be adjusted to your desired angle depending on the teeth design of your chainsaw.
- The grinder has 4200 RPM grinding speed that assures you to cut your woods fast and clean.
- It is featured with a 4-1/4-inch x 1/8-inch grinding wheel with 7/8-inch arbor.
- It comes with a manual that is useful in adjusting the angle for your sharpening tool.
- This can be plugged in a standard 120-volt outlet.
- Some buyers had complained that the cutting wheel wobbles too much when cutting large pieces of woods.
- It cannot sharpen some chainsaw teeth designs like those with .325 pitch, 3/16 chains.
- The motor is not of high-quality.
This Chainsaw Sharpener is manufactured by Timberline. It is considered the best chainsaw chain sharpener as it can sharpen 3/16 chains or .325 pitch chains that cannot be performed by other chainsaw chain sharpener brands. This product is featured in an orange color.
- It can quickly sharpen your chainsaw teeth in just a few minutes.
- It weighs 1.1 pounds. It is not heavy that you can just carry it anywhere you like.
- This can sharpen any angle of your chainsaw teeth.
- It comes with a carrying case so that it would be easy to carry it anywhere.
- This can be used for all types of chainsaw chain and chainsaw teeth designs.
- It has a machined aluminum that is very durable because it is of high-quality.
- This sharpening tool may yield a poor result in your sharpening if the instructions are not followed properly. You have to read all the instruction in the Timberline website first before manipulating this tool.
- This may take you a long time when you do not follow the techniques in using this product.
- This is not ideal when you have a business with regards to chain sharpening.
CS-BWM Electric Chain Saw Chain Sharpener is manufactured by Timber Tuff. It is also considered as the best chainsaw chain sharpener because it is designed to be mounted on a bench or a wall to easily sharpen your chainsaw. It is featured in an apple green color.
- This chainsaw chain sharpener has a very powerful motor that has a motor speed of 3600 RPM.
- Its motor has 110V/60 Hz with an input power of 230 watts.
- This can sharpen various chain sizes that range from ¼ ‘’ to ¾ ‘’ chains and is also ideal for Stihl chains.
- This can be easily mounted on benches, walls, and bar, or any working surfaces to secure your sharpening area.
- This can be easily adjusted depending on the chain teeth design and measurement.
- It features a see-through safety shield of the adjustment guide to easily read it by the users.
- It also features a 15-watt work light for a clear visibility while you are sharpening your chainsaw chain.
- It also comes with a thermal-overload protection to protect the user while doing the sharpening.
- This can save your chain saw bar with its one year warranty.
- Other parts of this product are not of high-quality.
- The pink grinding wheels sometimes doesn’t work well.
- This product wobbles while doing the sharpening.
The Electric Chainsaw Chain Grinder Sharpener is manufactured by CO-Z. This is manufactured using high-quality aluminum for durability. It weighs 12.8 pounds with a dimension of 17.2 x 11.5 x 8.8 inches. It features a black color.
- It comes with reinforced hinges for a high sharpening performance of the tool.
- It has a large handle to operate and control this sharpening tool easily.
- This can be easily adjusted depending on the teeth design and measurement of the chainsaw that you are going to sharpen.
- It also comes with safety guards to provide superior protection to the user while working using this tool.
- It also features a built-in work light for good visibility during the sharpening.
- It also comes with two large grinding wheels – 1/8’’ and 3/16’’.
- Some buyers had complained that the product didn’t have a manual when it was purchased.
- Other parts of this product may be low quality like the grinding wheel. However, it varies from the supplier, so better make sure you purchase from authorized supplier only.
- The bulb in the built-in work light easily burns out during first few uses.
The Vevor Saw Chain Grinder is an electronic chainsaw chain sharpener that is also considered the best chainsaw chain sharpener because of its high sharpening performance. It is designed to be easily mounted on a bench or wall to easily do the sharpening of the chainsaw. It weighs 15.9 pounds with a dimension of 17 x 12 x 9 inches. It can be bought in black color.
- This product can be plugged into 110-volt outlet with a motor power input of 230 watts.
- This product has a maximum speed of 3000 RPM.
- It comes with two grinding wheels – 1/8’’ and 3/16’’.
- It is made of cast aluminum for durability.
- It also comes with hinges to provide a high sharpening performance.
- It has a built-in work light for good visibility during the sharpening.
- It features safety guards for maximum protection while using this product.
- It comes with a grinder.
- This product is heavier as compared to other similar products.
- It takes a long time to set up the device when you use it for the first time.
When Do You Sharpen Your Chainsaw Chain?
A chainsaw doesn’t need to be sharpened all the time. You only have to sharpen them when they already show signs that the chain is already dull and blunt. Now, what are these signs? Let’s find out!
1. Needs Pressure When Cutting
Even if your chainsaw is of high-quality, it doesn’t mean that its chain doesn’t need any sharpening. Over time, its chain will become dull. One sign that your chainsaw chain already needs sharpening is the pressure that is required when cutting large pieces of wood. Normally, when the chainsaw chain is still sharp, you do not need any pressure when cutting woods. You just have to guide the chainsaw to the direction that you intend to cut. If your chainsaw needs pressure already, then you have to buy the best chainsaw chain sharpener to sharpen your chain again.
2. Fine Saw Dust
When you use your chainsaw, always check out the sawdust. Sharp chainsaw chain does not produce fine saw dust. They always have coarse sawdust. Thus, if your chainsaw yields fine saw dust that would seem powdery, then it is already a sign that your chainsaw needs some sharpening.
3. Rattles and Wobbles
A sharp chainsaw does not wobble or rattle when you cut logs, but when it does, it is not normal anymore. It could signify that there’s something wrong with your chainsaw or your chainsaw already needs sharpening.
4. Crooked Cuts
Sharp chainsaw produces fine cuttings. When your chainsaw already yields poor quality cuttings, then it is already a signal that you have to sharpen your chainsaw chain. Crooked cuts in your woods are undesirable. To avoid this, choose the best chainsaw chain sharpener to sharpen your chainsaw again.
What Should You Consider When Choosing The Best Chainsaw Chain Sharpener?
Even if you choose the most expensive or a high-quality chainsaw chain sharpener, it would still be of no use if you do not consider the properties and type of chainsaw that you intend to sharpen. No matter how many times you sharpen your chainsaw chain, it would still be a failure if your chain sharpener does not fit the type of your chainsaw. Therefore, what should we do to sharpen the chain of our chainsaw successfully? Here’s how:
1. Identify the type of chainsaw that you have.
Chainsaws come in different types and sizes. These include gas-powered chain saw, corded electric chain saw, battery-powered chainsaw, manual chainsaw, and pole saw. There is a specific chainsaw for hardwood or for cutting firewood. Your chainsaw chain sharpener should be suitable to the type of the chainsaw that you have.
2. Determine the chain design or measurement.
The chain design and measurement also matter when you choose a chainsaw chain sharpener. The chain sizes can be ¼’’, .325’’, 3/8’’, 3/16’’, or .404’’. To determine this, check your product’s manual or maybe the sizes are etched onto your chainsaw itself.
Now you are already presented with the necessary information about the sharpening of your chainsaw, as well as the five best chainsaw chain sharpener that we recommend. Just always remember to check out the signs that your chainsaw is already dull and blunt. Furthermore, do not immediately buy the chainsaw chain sharpeners without following checking out the type of your chainsaw. There are chainsaw chain sharpeners that only sharpen specific chain pitches and gauge. Hence, after determining the type of your chainsaw, as well as its chain measurement and design, evaluate the chainsaw chain sharpener that you intend to buy. Make sure that it is suitable to your chainsaw.
Stop the old-fashioned way of treating dull and blunt chainsaw chain. Others may say that the rattling of your chainsaw only needs lubrication and, therefore, only needs oil. It is entirely wrong. Even if it is a chainsaw for oak or for dirty wood, dull chainsaw really needs the best chainsaw chain sharpener.
Personally, I recommend the Timberline Chainsaw Sharpener. Other chains sharpeners cannot sharpen .325 chain pitches, but this product can be applied to all chain sizes and types. You just have to read the manual carefully and follow the techniques proposed by Timberline in using this product so that you will be able to yield a high sharpening performance.
So that’s it! Thank you so much for having the time to read this article. I hope you have chosen the best chainsaw chain sharpener from the five products that we recommend. If you have friends that also had a hard time choosing the appropriate chainsaw sharpener, please do share this article to enlighten them.