There are different ways of growing plants. The method that most people are familiar with is soil gardening. However, a lot of people today have also started engaging themselves with hydroponic gardening, especially Deep Water Culture. It is basically a method of growing plants wherein the roots of the plants are suspended in oxygenated water in order for the plants not to drown. The water should also be packed with the nutrients needed for the plants to grow healthily. For those who are interested in trying it out too, there is a need for you to invest in the best air pump for dwc.
If you are a hydroponic gardener, you will need an air pump so that you can take advantage of air diffusion into water
Top 5 Best Air Pump For DWC To Choose From
EcoPlus Commercial Air 1, 793 GPH. Via: Amazon.com
Are you looking for the right air pump that can provide enough oxygen for your fish farms, aquariums, or hydroponic systems? EcoPlus Commercial Air 1 – 1 to 18 Watts 793 GPH – 728450 can be the best option, especially if you seriously need air in your expanding operation. It has been known that for quite some time, EcoPlus made a reputable name in this industry. In addition, this product garnered lots of positive feedbacks from its users.
- It comes with chrome air manifold that ranges from 6 to 12 outlets.
- Its piston and cylinders are created out of high-quality materials, which make the pump robust.
- This product is quite noisy and loud. It is recommended to use it for either outdoor growing operation or enclosed grow room.
Active Aqua Commercial Air Pump 60W. Via: Amazon.com
On the other hand, if you’re in need of a perfect air pump to operate lots of air stones and water farms all at once, you may opt for Active Aqua Commercial Air Pump. Featuring electrical magnetic air compressor protected by well-built alloy case, rest assured that this item has strong resistance to wear and tear. It has also special artificial rubber which maintains a steady air flow output as well as pressure. Not only that, it also has a multi-outlet divider. In addition , you may enjoy its one-year warranty.
It offers nice flow as well as aids in moving the water by means of a substantial distance. The maximum distance wherein it could push water horizontally is about 28ft while the maximum distance is about 4.5 ft.
- This air pump is made from materials that have resistant to any wear and tear. Indeed, it’s a good solid metal construction.
- It has an air flow adjustment.
- It has a one-year warranty offer.
- It comes with eight outlets, high-end stainless steel, and copper air manifold together with individually controllable air outlets.
- It has a proper size.
- The product has removable parts.
- It is compatible with hosepipes.
- Most users complain about its loud noise.
- It is not compatible with PVC threads.
- The internal pumps can cause internal problems.
KEDSUM 770GPH Submersible Water Pump, 65W. Via:Amazon.com
This air pump suits perfectly for nano to medium-sized small ponds, aquarium, desktop water fountains and water garden. Its small profile size lets you hide it easier. Thus, if you have fountains, aquarium, and hydroponic system, it is advisable to purchase this air pump. Specifically tailored for ultra-quiet operation and reliability, the product offers years of service.
Furthermore, it will greatly help you save energy and effort without releasing too much noise. Its suction cup mounting feet can be mounted either horizontally or vertically. It doesn’t contain any messy oils or seals. Plus, its maximum flow rate is 550 GPH every hour while the maximum lift height can reach up to six feet.
- It works silently.
- It operates advertised. It is best recommended for saltwater, marine, or reef tank application.
- It can deliver expected volume at way higher head similar air pumps.
- It has a robust construction.
- A few users complained because there’s no pre-filter sponge which keeps the impeller against the debris.
Homasy 400GPH Submersible Pump. Via: Amazon.com
In terms of water flow control feature, nothing can beat Homasy 400GPH Submersible Pump. It is considered as a multi-purpose pump, which can be employed in aquarium, pond, fish tank, and hydroponics. This greatly aids in producing the desired water current, making an ideal place for the fish and plants to survive. Additionally, it also helps beautify the water features right from the aesthetic viewpoint.
As what the name suggests, it has the ability to pump about 400 gallons of water every hour. Whether you have smaller tabletop or medium-sized water features, you may use this pump at home or in your office.
- You can control easily the flow rate.
- It’s an energy-saving device.
- You can perform a noiseless operation.
- It is not as powerful and good as advertised as per few users.
General Hydroponics Dual Diaphragm Air Pump. Via:Amazon.com
Made exclusively for hydroponics use, this high output pump (with 24,800cc per minute and 320 gph) features four adjustable 0.25-inch output valves that let the perfect volume of air into multiple grow sites.
- It is extremely quiet air pump for dwc.
- It places a good amount of air.
- It works efficiently for a little hydro set up.
- The diaphragms are expensive and weak.
The Benefits Of Buying a DWC Air Pump
Deep water culture is best done on a daily basis in order to maximize the nutrients for the plants and fishes. Though re-circulating is a daunting task, deep water culture prevail most with its positive sides. One of the best things about your deep water culture is that you can optimize it any way you want. Thus, you can opt for simple or complex deep water culture.
If you don’t invest for the right kind of air pump, your plant will get drowned
There are many different species of plants that you can grow in a deep water culture system. Nevertheless, you have to keep in mind that it is very important to choose the right conditions and preparations for your chosen plants.
Extremely powerful air pumps are needed if you’re growing fishes and plants commercially
As someone who is into deep water culture, there is a need for you to supply your plants with everything that they need to survive. Apart from nutrients, water, and light, oxygenation coming from an air pump is essential for the plants’ growth as well. Below are the other benefits you can get from buying a hydroponic dwc air pump:
- It produces bubbles that evenly mix the dissolved oxygen all throughout the reservoir.
- It ensures that your plants will be supplied with a sufficient amount of oxygen that they need, especially for strengthening the roots.
- It prevents the roots of your plants from drowning.
- It makes it possible for you to have better yields from hydroponics gardening.
- It dissolves oxygen as a nutrient solution, making your plants healthy.
- It prevents water from becoming stagnant.
- It distributes oxygen evenly in the entire reservoir.
- It diffuses air into water and when oxygen is lacking, it may result in the production of Pythium, which can kill your plant’s roots
- It improves the growth root growth and the overall health of your plants.
Different Kinds Of Air Pumps
There are two main kinds of air pumps, namely magnetic and electric. The magnetic pumps are capable of pushing a larger air volume to your plants. However, because of that, the noise that it creates is considerably louder. On the other hand, electric pumps operate quietly. It is also a more practical choice for hydroponics farmers. Nevertheless, regardless of which of the two you choose, you can expect that both will do a good job in delivering the necessary amount of air to your plant’s roots.
Nutrient solutions are essential in deep water culture hydroponics
DWC Air Pump Buying Guide
There are a lot of air pumps that you can buy on the market, but which one should you choose? This guide will help you select the best option for you.
What air pump size is for hydroponics? As a general rule, the deep water culture air pump size that you should buy needs to have a wattage that is equivalent to the number of gallons of your nutrient solution. It would also be best for you to buy an air pump that can provide your nutrient reservoir at least 500-600cc/minute as this is considered to be a safe amount when it comes to deep water culture. The more cc the pump can provide, the better.
For sure, you do not want to have an air pump deep water culture that creates a loud annoying noise, disturbing you in your sleep, right? So, as much as possible, buy the one that can run quietly. Thus, before you even buy one, check out the product specs. If, in case, its decibel level is below 45, then buy that one.
Choose an air pump that is made from durable materials to ensure that you can use them for a long time. Make sure that it meets the industry’s standards. Of course, buying from known brands may also be more advantageous on your part.
4. Power Consumption
If you want to save a few dollars, then choose the best air pump for dwc that does not consume a lot of power. If possible, look for one with an adjustable airflow and the one that can provide a steady output.
When buying air pumps, you need to consider the amount of oxygen it is capable of dissolving and how long it takes the air pump to do that. The more oxygen it can dissolve within a minute, the better. Also, you can consider buying one that serves for multiple purposes like the one that you can use for water fountains, aquariums, and others apart from hydroponics.
6. Making An Educated Decision
You need to first assess your necessities, set your budget, see what is out there, and investigate the market price, customer service, and warranty. You are in the best position to weigh the outcomes, may it be selecting the wide range of air pump. Good luck with your purchase. Hope you acquire the proper air pump to meet all your needs and goals. Keep in mind that the best is always one that can meet all your plants’ needs.
You can also grow onions using hydroponics
To sum it up, Deep water culture may seem intimidating at first, but with the right tools and equipment, everything becomes much easier on your part. With that being said, air pumps play a very crucial role in the growth of your plants in hydroponics gardening, especially when used together with an air stone as it keeps the solution oxygenated and ensures that enough air is supplied to the plant’s roots.
On the other hand, among the products reviewed on the list, I recommend EcoPlus Commercial Air Pump 793 GPH because it is highly durable, can operate quietly, and has low power consumption. For someone like me who can’t tolerate noise and enjoys having small indoor garden, this air pump is indeed a lifesaver. So, if you got friends who plan to buy air pumps for water culture, feel free to share this article with them.
Thank for taking reading the whole article. Don’t forget to share it!
You might also read:
- Best pH Meters For Hydroponics Systems Reviews & Buyer’s Guide
- Top 5 Best HPS Bulbs: Which Bulb Is For Flowering?
- Best HPS Light Bulbs For Your Money Reviews